Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

So much cardboard

Go down 
+2
Von Kurst
Amheirchion
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Amheirchion
Youngblood
Youngblood
Amheirchion

Trading Reputation : 0

So much cardboard Empty
PostSubject: So much cardboard   So much cardboard Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 14:19

Hello. I'm a new boy but I thought I'd show you the starts of my Mordheim terrain collection. (Mainly because if I do I'll have more incentive to finish it rather than being 'that guy'.)

It's mostly made from pretty high density card that I acquired from my old schools art department many many moons ago. I picked it up with the express purpose of making terrain for my games of Mordheim back then, but I never got around to it. I think this was due to a lack of confidence tools, and skills. Well, I still don't really have the skills, but I do have a sharp knife, a load of sticky tape and some PVA glue... Oh, and a more 'Devil may care' attitude to screwing up, which in the right light, almost passes for confidence.

So here it is so far:

So much cardboard CRXIl

The building in the centre is based loosely on a building in Shrewsbury and has stairs leading up to the first floor, I hope to expand on this adding another layer and a roof space. I kept the arches that I cut out and will be making them into crypts and similar line of sight blockers. The other buildings are built in layers with card stops to keep them in place, this hopefully will allow the upper floors to be removed as needed for better access.

From the other angle:

So much cardboard BpXdn

I've tried to go for a mix of heights, shapes and levels of damage. The tall tower is a dice tower, it was made with minimal planning, but it works beautifully and is I've had 70 dice go through at once with no blockages. The top of the tower had a divider allowing the storage of dice without accidentally knocking them down the hole.

I also found that man sized tissue boxes were the same height as my buildings, so that saved a lot of cutting and gluing. Very Happy

My plans are to use thin card to make the details such as; wooden beams, door and window frames, roof tiles etc. but for now, the terrain is functional if not pretty and allows up to have some fun games. I will also need to have a session making bridges and ladders, but for now strips of card are standing in for them.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

So much cardboard Empty
PostSubject: Re: So much cardboard   So much cardboard Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012 - 16:27

Looks liike a great start. I'm always amazed what folks can do with cardboard.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

So much cardboard Empty
PostSubject: Re: So much cardboard   So much cardboard Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 8:52

Very nice start!

Mopst of my scenery is made with cereal packet cardboard, so I know how noble and practical the material is.

Please post any advances and we'll wait to see all those buildings painted.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Amheirchion
Youngblood
Youngblood
Amheirchion

So much cardboard Empty
PostSubject: Re: So much cardboard   So much cardboard Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 15:09

My fiancée is off to town tonight for cocktails. Which means I can play with these with zero guilt that I'm not doing stuff to prepare for my wedding. Very Happy I'm hoping to use thin card to make the beams, stones, tiles etc. I'll be sure to post progress pictures.
Back to top Go down
theomar pius
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
theomar pius

So much cardboard Empty
PostSubject: Re: So much cardboard   So much cardboard Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 16:01

That's a great start!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

So much cardboard Empty
PostSubject: Re: So much cardboard   So much cardboard Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 16:25

EXCELLENT use of your Pre Imminent DOOM time! You've got the makings of a FINE LOOKING gaming table. Keep up the GOOD WORK as Herself allows. What a Face
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

So much cardboard Empty
PostSubject: Re: So much cardboard   So much cardboard Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jun 2012 - 17:51

Amheirchion wrote:
My fiancée is off to town tonight for cocktails. Which means I can play with these with zero guilt that I'm not doing stuff to prepare for my wedding. Very Happy I'm hoping to use thin card to make the beams, stones, tiles etc. I'll be sure to post progress pictures.

Good stuff!

Just make sure you don't accidentally glue bits of wood or other things to your clothes. That's serious evidence there! Smile

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
Sponsored content

So much cardboard Empty
PostSubject: Re: So much cardboard   So much cardboard Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So much cardboard
Page 1 of 1