Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My Norse Horde...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran
TheEnemyWithin

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

My Norse Horde... Empty
PostSubject: My Norse Horde...   My Norse Horde... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar 2012 - 17:49

Hey ho boys and girls.

After the rather embarrassingly poor performance of my Beastmen warband in the last campaign I took part in (Damn you Dwarfs!) I decided to take a look around for an alternative warband with which to form an unstoppable horde of death and destruction.

So I took a look around to see what was out there. I immediately dismissed Skaven (been there...done that) and Orcs (Soooooo cliché xP) and decided to try out something new, something I had not seen used before, then I saw these models on the Warhammer Forge...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/SKIN-WOLVES.html

After picking my jaw off the floor I resolved that I must find a way to use these models...but what warband has werewolves?...and like a lightning bolt of suitably evil chaosyness I remembered...Norse Explorers! They would give me the crazy horde I want, and allow me to use a werewolf...not only as a big model (ala minotaur/troll etc) but as a hero!...best...idea...ever!

For reference the Norse Warband list is at the following link...

http://cianty.ashtonsanders.com/btb/pdf/11%20Norse%20Explorers.pdf

Long story short? BEHOLD! THE MIGHTY HORDE OF THE BLACK WOLVES!

Jar:l w sword + hammer
83gc

Ulfwerena (Werewolf)
90gc

Berserker 1: w Axe + Hammer
58gc

Berserker 2: w Axe + Hammer
58gc

Bondsmen 1: w Hammer + Dagger
18gc

Bondsmen 2: w Hammer + Dagger
18gc

3 x Hunters: w Javelin + Hammer
33 x 3 (99gc)

5 x Wolves
5 x 15 (75gc)

Warband Total: 499

...That's right...14 members to start with...requires 4 OOA to start rout tests in the first game...now that's a horde xD

Initial tactics will involve sticking to cover with the main force while advancing on the enemy/objective. Depending on the enemy type and arrangement I can use the wolves as either a bullet shield for my units or flanking/harrying units in conjunction with the werewolf (he's not technically a large creature so they can cover him also). The hunters should hopefully use their javelins to take care of any annoying ranged/running enemies while they advance with the rest of the group. They can also potentially unleash a volley at close range and stun/knock down opponents for an easy charge from the heroes the following turn, or simply skirt around any close combats waiting for the victor to emerge...and get a javelin through the chest ^^

In terms of campaign advancement, I'd aim to get another hunter or two and gradually replace the wolves with marauders, hire a norse shaman, try the usual exploration rigging/income boosting and possibly invest in a warhorse or two for whatever heroes become the most deadly (As I really want to convert some crazy Norse warhorse action ^^)

Quick question for the collective though, is there anywhere that clarifies/hilights what hired swords Norse warbands can use?

So, anybody used the Norse before? Or anybody got any feedback/opinions? ^^
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

My Norse Horde... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Norse Horde...   My Norse Horde... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar 2012 - 19:11

I have not used he Norse list before.

But it is a strong list because they start with 6 heroes, of whom two has S4. Additionaly they have cheap, expendable and very fast wolves.

To your starting list. I would give the hunters bows because of the range and would scratch one wulf for that.

But your list is fine too. 14 members is very often a huge majority in the first battles.

The witch hunters i play started also with 13 models, 12 members and a halfling scout. And they were really strong because of the huge starting number.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Squig
Captain
Captain
Squig

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

My Norse Horde... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Norse Horde...   My Norse Horde... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar 2012 - 19:57

Indeed, the Norse list is very strong giving you 6 heroes from the start.

Also the cost/usefulness-factor is very good for the henchmen and the wolves are terrific (and terrifying Very Happy ), like SerialMoM said.

What I wondered was, if the Norse Marauders use 20mm or 25mm square bases (if you don't use round bases) and if the Wulfen (Werewolf) uses a 40mm square base or a 25mm square base.

Chaos Marauders usually use 25mm square bases in Warhammer Fantasy, but Norse Marauders from the Dogs of War Regiments of Renown "Beorg Bearstruck and the Bearmen of Urslo" had 20mm bases.

I think, javelins are fine, if you play offensive (which you will do, I guess, because it fits to the warband).

Have fun with your Norse marauders. They are fine and fun to play.
Back to top Go down
TheEnemyWithin
Veteran
Veteran
TheEnemyWithin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

My Norse Horde... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Norse Horde...   My Norse Horde... Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012 - 10:53

Squig wrote:
Indeed, the Norse list is very strong giving you 6 heroes from the start.

Also the cost/usefulness-factor is very good for the henchmen and the wolves are terrific (and terrifying Very Happy ), like SerialMoM said.

What I wondered was, if the Norse Marauders use 20mm or 25mm square bases (if you don't use round bases) and if the Wulfen (Werewolf) uses a 40mm square base or a 25mm square base.

Chaos Marauders usually use 25mm square bases in Warhammer Fantasy, but Norse Marauders from the Dogs of War Regiments of Renown "Beorg Bearstruck and the Bearmen of Urslo" had 20mm bases.

I think, javelins are fine, if you play offensive (which you will do, I guess, because it fits to the warband).

Have fun with your Norse marauders. They are fine and fun to play.

I would always use the 25mm bases...simply because that's what the plastic Marauder box set comes with ^^. I'll also use the 40mm base for the werewolf since that's what it comes with as well, but then again my gaming group isn't very strict on base sizes etc.

I think I'll stick with the javelins for now, I plan to play aggressively and since they are thrown weapons (no negatives for range + moving) they are much more likely to hit with them than they would be when using bows (using the user's strength is also a nice bonus if they roll strength advances) and they still have an effective range of 12inches. Later on in the campaign I'll probably look at buying them bows as well for versatility if/when they get a BS upgrade. Probably buy them spears+shields as well and have them work as proper spearmen (Oh man the conversion ideas! ^^) although that would make them 50gc a head...

I'm hoping that this warband will prove to be not only great fun to play but also work as a good test for our new house rules (the fairly common -1 to hit when dual wielding and +1 armour save is using shield and 1 handed weapon) since they have some nice skills that work well with shields and two handed weapons (Berserk Charge and Shield Master).

Having heroes that are Frenzied should be great fun as well... here is hoping for +Attack rolls...even one upgrade gives them 4 attacks with 2 handed weapons/ sword and board or 5 attacks dual wielding! -drool-

It also just occurred to me that one of my primary opponents is an Undead warband...looking forward to a Vamp vs Werewolf fight xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Norse Horde... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Norse Horde...   My Norse Horde... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Norse Horde...
Page 1 of 1