Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Middenheimers

Go down 
+9
GMillar
Paboook
sianpää
The Yak
5pointer
folketsfiende
The_Ferret
DeafNala
thesoundofmusica
13 posters
AuthorMessage
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

Trading Reputation : 0

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 19 Feb 2012 - 17:36

Hi ppl, this is the start of my latest warband. Initially I wanted to do Reiklanders but decided to go for a more CC oriented warband this time around (I have a fairly shooty Marienburger warband on here already posted by Puckoflinken). While my first warband was abit of a rushed project to get started, I wanted to put some more time into it this time. These are some of my best models I personally think and dont you be mistaken this thread for some kind of pat-my-back thread =D

Having been away from the hobby for about 5-6 years I'm well aware of my limitations, just recently it was brought to my attention that I'm rubbish at removing mold lines haha. In all honesty they were under my radar, old tired eyes you know! Also I'm slacking on bases, but I'll work on it =D Like most threads here I imagine, this is made for ppl like me who enjoy watching creations of other ppl to get inspired or just have a laugh really. But ofc there's a little exhibitionist in me or I wouldnt post at all =D Feel free to give constructive criticism!

They dont have the traditional Middenheimer look in part because they were meant to be Reiklanders at first, but also because they are all made of bodys and piece I had lying around. I was lucky to get coats and pelt hats for all my heroes making them look uniform without looking too army like =)

First out, two warriors
Middenheimers 00112

Next, two marksmen
Middenheimers 00210

My Captain!
Middenheimers 00310

Veteran Champion
Middenheimers 00410

Twohander Champion
Middenheimers 00510

My warband so far, standing in a piece of our Terraclips scenery
Middenheimers Dirty710

This week I ordered a Priest of Ulric and Wolf Companion from Reaper. I also wanted a Werewolf incase my Priest gets that wolf spell, I wanted him to be walking upright and Reaper had a couple cool Werewolfs to pick from. This warband will also have a Ogre Bodyguard, from avatars-of-war. No links, but I'll probably have time to paint them all up this coming week if deliverys are fast. I have little experience of Reaper and Avatars so we'll see how that goes.

These are all up on warseer aswell, but wanted to post them here incase anyone is like me, just dying to get a hand on anything mordheim =P

Last edited by thesoundofmusica on Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 18:48; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 19 Feb 2012 - 17:50

Your Middenheimers are LOOKIN' GOOD! The subdued colors match with their background fluff nicely. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
The Terra Clips scenery looks like a very attractive alternative to the laborious process of scratch building. Your lads certainly look good in it. What a Face
Back to top Go down
The_Ferret
Veteran
Veteran
The_Ferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 19 Feb 2012 - 20:58

Very nice job on the figures: great expressions on the faces. BTW - your not the only one who has trouble with mold lines.

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeMon 20 Feb 2012 - 8:49

Well painted! The mold lines are indeed clearly visible, but the minis still look good! Good luck with assembling and painting the rest!
Back to top Go down
5pointer
Elder
Elder
5pointer

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeMon 20 Feb 2012 - 12:48

Nice cleanly painted warband there - and you've convinced me that terraclips is the way to go! (when next I have money Embarassed )

Keep on sharing!
Back to top Go down
The Yak
Knight
Knight
The Yak

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeMon 20 Feb 2012 - 21:48

Great Warband! Looking forward to the additions.
Back to top Go down
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 26 Feb 2012 - 16:54

So I got my reaper minis just in time for the weekend. I have to say, they looked great. Easy to assemble. I got some paint samples free. Shipping was fast, and it was rather cheap. Cant think of a single bad thing honestly. I'll definately check them out again (this is from a die-hard GW fan, if you havent tried another supplier, do it).

Anyways, I did a rough paint job on the Priest and his Wolf Companion. Now, I could just do a simple same-color fur on the Wolf but I wanted it to have a more natural yet random pattern. I googled a couple of snow wolfs at first, but too much white didnt look that good. That is to say, I couldnt make it look that good haha. So I gradually moved away from the snow white, making the fur darker in layers from bottom up. PITA. I'm abit ambivalent. It does look like the photo that was my reference. But its not the typical wolfish style I've seen around. =D

Middenheimers 50110

Middenheimers 50210

The Priest will get his final touch after pizza, unless buds show up for another game of Mordheim ofc =)
While I was painting, my kids got their models out (painted by themselfs) and I let them play around with Terraclips (those things are quite sturdy!).
Need to get those kids into hobby gaming asap!

Anyone got any cool wolfs painted?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 26 Feb 2012 - 17:16

VERY NICE brushwork on the wolf...the fur colors & the glowing eyes are cool. Your base could use a bit more work...that aside, WELL DONE! thumbsup

Last edited by DeafNala on Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 1:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb 2012 - 0:16

So the Priest is finished. I didnt want the usual middenheimer wild guy look, long hair and beard rough appeareance. The wild man turning into a wolf, so predictable. Instead I wanted a contrast. This guy looks clean and sophisticated on the surface but turns into a beast. Make no mistake, he'll cave your head in with a big hammer but he'll read a book while doing it =D

Middenheimers 40110

Middenheimers 40310

Middenheimers 40410

Middenheimers 40510

EDIT: in the background you can spot his wolf-form Wink
Back to top Go down
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb 2012 - 0:36

"The Priest and his trusty companion at the rendezvous ready to lend their aid to the Middenheim mercenaries...."

Middenheimers 41110
Back to top Go down
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb 2012 - 0:47

And btw, thx for the kind words guys!
I can also take constructive compliments (in the words of michael scott).

Poor bases have always been my weakest spot I'm well aware. Maybe I'll get around to it some day but dont get your hopes up haha Wink
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb 2012 - 1:57

I like your choice of minis..the Holy Guy looks quite capable of splitting some heads in the best tradition of Middenheim. WELL DONE! thumbsup
Don't sweat the bases; there are quite a few Guys & Gals that do minimal or no work on their bases. As long as you're happy with the results then you've achieved your goal. What a Face

Last edited by DeafNala on Fri 6 Jul 2012 - 22:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sianpää
Veteran
Veteran
sianpää

Trading Reputation : 1

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeMon 27 Feb 2012 - 14:12

Good looking stuff so far, particularly your captain and wolf.
About bases: I think the main problem with them is that sand looks somewhat unfit. Maybe painting it would help?
Anyway, keep on posting!
Back to top Go down
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeTue 28 Feb 2012 - 23:29

Priest of Ulric in his Wolf form.
Took me abit longer then I had hoped, I think because I wasnt sure in what direction to take him. In the end I settled for a "human" base skin and same-ish hair and colors as the Priest in his human form =)

Middenheimers 44110

Middenheimers 44210
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeWed 29 Feb 2012 - 0:10

That is an impressive looking Werewolf...very nice brushwork & color choices. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 4 Mar 2012 - 2:04

So the last models to make it into my starting warband list are now painted.
The two youngbloods, together with blunderbuss armed marksman. And the Ogre bodyguard! Never liked the GW mordheim Ogre, he looks too dim-witted. This one looks like an experienced brawler.

Middenheimers 70110

Middenheimers 80110
Back to top Go down
Paboook
Warlord
Warlord
Paboook

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 4 Mar 2012 - 15:46

I really like the colours you chose - simple yet looking great! Well done Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 4 Mar 2012 - 19:33

The new Guys in the Band look TERRIFIC...particularly the Ogre. The subdued colors work nicely. About the only/critique/suggestion would be to pick out the studs on the armor in a metallic color. Other than that, VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
GMillar
Champion
Champion
GMillar

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned:

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeFri 6 Jul 2012 - 21:26

Your oger looks boss, I've been wanting to get that AoW dude for my OK army. If you're wanting to do something else with the bases, you could try giving them a coat of watered-down PVA/white glue to seal them, drybrush them, and then stick a bit of grass on. I think they look good enough as they are though.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSat 14 Jul 2012 - 20:13

Middenheimers usually look like they haven't seen a mirror and a pair of scissors. Yeah fine they are a bit hairy and from the north, but Middenheim is still one of the greatest cities of the Empire and the citizenry are by no means dirt peasants.

So what I'm trying to say is that you did a splendid job with your rugged and rough militia. They look like they mean business, really bad business, but that are not norscans.

I think there is some new paint out from GW that is supposed to help with the bases. Otherwise there are a ton of ideas to be found here on Tom's and you can always go for the lazy and expensive rout and buy some cool bases. Or just keep them like they are, nothing wrong with that.
Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSat 14 Jul 2012 - 23:40

The ogre is a well chosen model - and well painted too. Hope you get to use it alot in your games!
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeSun 15 Jul 2012 - 0:49

Looking good! I especially like the veins bulging out of the Ogre's arms! Was that part of the sculpt, or was that modified for that look? Either way the entire warband looks great. Nicely done!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Sliver
Hero
Hero
Sliver

Personal Info

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeFri 27 Jul 2012 - 9:32

Good work!
The hats and heads looks especialy fancy, did you sculpt the hats yourself or did you headswap cleverly?
You've managed to give them a unique feel, a bit cleaner than most middenheimers, but still got that wolfy flavour. The painting is clean, you know your brushes and you make sure to apply thin layers to ensure a chrisp result. You seem to use the washes well, but could do with a bit more highlights.

I would advice you to practice getting more depth and spice, while still keeping the smoothness. Try getting a bit more contrast in, the robe and cloak of the priest and the mouths of 1rst marksman and 2nd champion. Some heavier shading of the parts that would be shadowy IRL and an additional step of highligthting or two on the edges. Some yellow or red added to those highlights (of the brown in particular), or a thin glaze of red or yellow would also add some more spice. But thats preferential. Glazing/tinting some of the metal with brown and/or orange would help bring the armour/weapons alive a bit more too.

You asked, so there you got some. However you've done a good job, the only things that popped out as something I'd really change is painting the studs on the oger in metal, makeing the flame look more real by starting from yellow and working up to red with a slight blackened edge (check some tutorial or look at pictures of fire, or of miniatures with real looking flame effects). At a closer glance the handle is slightly to angled btw. And the bases, I'd really recommend taking the time to glue sand all out to the edges, basecoat and highlight it. Easy but adds so much.

Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
thesoundofmusica
Warrior
Warrior
thesoundofmusica

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 10:58

Thx for all the advice guys!
Some of these changes I'll get right to it when I next revisit my warband, like the studs and the bases. Easy fixes really but sometimes you get blind staring at your own models =)
Back to top Go down
Vissah
Veteran
Veteran
Vissah

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitimeTue 9 Oct 2012 - 21:56

Some nice looking Middenheimers you got there, I just started Middenheimers also Very Happy
How is that Terraclips terrain working for you, I'm thinking of getting a box.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Middenheimers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middenheimers   Middenheimers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Middenheimers
Page 1 of 1