Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Empty
PostSubject: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeTue 14 Feb 2012 - 19:11

http://www.mordheimer.com/warbands/experimental/wood_elves.htm
for those who dont know which one Im talking about

Thoughts on the list? Over powered? Balanced? Would love to hear everyones opinion on this one!
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeTue 14 Feb 2012 - 20:43

I have a friend who is a wood elf player and has used this list.

It has worked well, I would say it is balanced or about as darn close as you can get with out house rules on elves... Example we house rule that elves max Toughness is 3.

we have not had a ton of game play with it though. He is going to bring them out again in our next series of games.

Late Game is where I think they do become broken as with all elves.
Use a standard merc list to compare... or rather standard heroes vs heroes.
Mercs:
Young Blood (a good standard "start"): at 0 xp and no advances: good base line.
Champion: at 8 xp and has 4 advances: Compare to Young Blood they are on par.
Cap: At 20 xp for 7 advances: Cap is actually cheated out of 1 Advancment.

Wood Elves
Way-Warden: at 20 xp for 11 advances, thats 3 "free" advances. Should start at 32 xp for consistancy... but to be consistant with the Merc Cap should be 36 xp.
Spellwalker: at 12 xp for 7 advances, thats 2 "free" advances. Should start at 17 xp for consistancy.
The Wild Hunter: at 12 xp for 9 advancments, thats 4 "free" advances. Should start at 24 xp for consistancy.
Pathfinders: at 8 xp for 7 advances, thats 3 "free" advances. Should start 17 xp for consistancy.

Granted elves have some not so great advances such as Inititive and LD, but others have the exact same odds as any one else to roll those when they advance.
As the elves cost more to start this is fine as they will start with fewer guys at the start. But late game when every one is more worried about gear and xp this all turns into an advantage for the elves.

Now am I saying that this wood elf warband is broken? No, I think it's well made and balanced at least in concept.
I am simply pointing out the xp diffrence compared to young bloods (a good base line hero).

Back to top Go down
Edyy
Captain
Captain
Edyy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 3:57

I think it's alright although I think the Heroes could do with being about 10gc more expensive and limited to only 4 (Wild Hunter or Wizard) to bring it in line with the balancing of the official dwarf warband (which is a good basis for non-human warbands).
Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 20:34

Initiative is probably the least sought after stat advance.. but leadership is a Very good stat increase to have. Rout checks, Fear.
nuff said!

dwarves are definately a good reference.. im gonna take a look at that one a bit closer to comparison.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 20:54

I agree with Initiative. Intiative does have it's uses though if the board has a lot of elevation to deal with and stuff to hide behind.
Only wanted to point out that the wood elves did get some "free" advances that is not compensated for in any real way.
Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 20:57

I think one major issue is that theyre getting all these free advances, which takes them away from the core balance features, but when compared to other nonhuman/non elf bands. are still light years ahead.

compare them to the dwarves, they get more advances, for a lowwer cost, and with less starting experience.

plus, dwarves / orcs only get 4 heroes to start. Elves get 5. huuuuuuuge advantage. it makes that Lads Got Talent rule kind of moot. since everyone splits all their henchmen groups up into groups of 1 for the first 5 games, youll get that roll you need very fast.

I think this list needs to drop a hero, or increase cost & starting XP for each hero drastically. but the same applies to all elf lists.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 21:39

Dwarfs have an advantage though of +1 free exploration dice so there 4 starting heroes is balanced out there.
Back to top Go down
Zekk
Veteran
Veteran
Zekk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 21:41

+1 wyrdstone, not +1 die.
little different. more money, but harder to get cool exploration combos.
Back to top Go down
The Yak
Knight
Knight
The Yak

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 22:25

Styrofoam King suggested a while back to reduce the heroes to four like dwarf warbands (reduce Pathfinder to 0-1). My mate did that and so far its seemed pretty well balanced. We play with lots of terrain too which helps reduce their effectiveness. Also they are easier to take out of action than Dwarves.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitimeWed 15 Feb 2012 - 22:31

Thats right, my bad. I would rather have the shard personally as i seam to be cursed with bad combos... the well is not that much fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer   Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wood Elves list on The Mordheimer
Page 1 of 1