Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?

Go down 
+3
whiskeytango
StyrofoamKing
gorenut
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Empty
PostSubject: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011 - 18:40

I'm almost finished with my Undead warband (just need to finish up conversions of Dregs and Necro) so I need to think of trading all my spare models for other warbands. These are the ones that interest me right now:

Most Interest
Orcs
• I like Trolls, I like the idea of having xbow Orcs.
• I want to have an Orc mounted on War Boar.
• Don't care too much about Goblins but I think it'd be funny to have a few around.

Black Orcs
• I like elite orcs.
• They can still have xbows, but not as much as Orcs.
• Still has access to Trolls.
• Don't care much about Shaman so lack of doesn't bother me.
• Shame there is a lack of War Boars and it'd be a waste to put it on just a regular Orc.

Beastmen
• Love the models.
• Gives me an excuse to get an Avatars of War Minotaur (one of my favorite mythical creatures)
• Downside is, the warband seems to lack overall variety (might be wrong about this).
• No ranged makes it have a lot of similarities as Undead (almost might as well not have range due to Dreg's BS 2)

Interested
Dark Elves
• Would try to come up with a way to mount a character on a new Cold One model (bought a box for my GF to convert one of her Saurus riding on one over the goofy Lizardmen one)
• New Corsair models are badass
• Would love to find a way to fit in a single Executioner and Black Guard model.. I always thought they were amazing models, but found them odd in units (I played them in WHFB)
• I'd use the more balanced rules set established on Druchii.net

Honorary Mentions
High Elves (Shadow Warriors?)
• Pretty much the only reason is I might be getting the WHFB starter set.

Any of the human merc faction
• Like the High/Shadow Elves.. this is more of a far stretch and I'm leaning more to the warbands listed above. I really like the Pistolier models and would love to create a warband around at least one of those models. Not sure how viable this is.

There goes it. If nothing else, I created this thread to generate some discussion. Thanks in advance for any input.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011 - 20:34

Beastman would be a good switch, as they move like lightening. With Undead, you have Zombies that move 4". Gors run 10", and your centigor goes 16".

Skaven are a pretty big switch too- in addition to the speed, they have low LD (can't get any different than the mindless zombies), and they come with your Starter Set.

Orcs are fun- some of the strongest warriors from their cost, but they are unpredictable. Luckily, your max size of 20 and with very little restriction on what you can buy, you can have a force that's as varied as you want.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011 - 21:18

Hmm... All the warbands you're most interested in share a common trait: poor shooting, which is also shared with the undead. Amount, range, and accuracy of shooting plays a huge part in the overall "feel" of a warband in my opinion, so I'm not sure how much different you're going to find those first three. Animosity will help with the variety though.

The druchii list is a good one, and far far different than the undead, so I'll cast my vote in that direction.

Ps: if you do get the started set and don't have any plans for the skaven, I'd love to buy the clan rats off of you.

edit: corrected spelling and such. Damn autocorrect

Last edited by whiskeytango on Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 23:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011 - 21:33

Thanks for the input guys. Are Orcs really considered bad shooters? Black Orcs maybe, but standard Orcs seem to have access to a good number of xbows and they have a BS of 3 (average human). I do understand the Druchii are far better shots than they are, but seems like Orcs are at least close to on par with the average shooters. I do admit much of what appeals to me with the Orcs though.. are the conversion possibilities. I'd love to convert some Orcs with xbows (I know there are Ruglud's Orcs.. but I'd rather do the conversion).

I thought about Skaven, but I think my girlfriend wants to claim that after she's done with Dwarfs. Part of why I'm even considering getting the boxed set (sorry whiskey, but you'll be the first to know if things change).
Back to top Go down
Montegue
Champion
Champion
Montegue

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011 - 23:01

In the beginning orcs don't shoot so good, but eventually as you gear them up they can. However, they really do shine in melee, with many of them sporting a high toughness and strength.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeThu 20 Oct 2011 - 23:26

I always forget that orcs don't have the same low BS in mordheim as they do elsewhere.

I'll stand by my Druchii suggestion though. You can make really, really awesome Shades by mixing Corsair legs, Glade Guard (or Rider) torsos and heads, and Dark Elf RXB arms. Plus, of course the Corsair kit is awesome with no conversions needed.

Also, no worries about the Skaven. I shamelessly ask anyone who I know is buying that box if they want to sell the Clan Rats. You can never have enough clan rats, plus that kit is the only way to get slaves.

Last edited by whiskeytango on Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 0:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011 - 0:03

Haha, yea.. same. I started off with 40k and I remember in 3rd edition they took the Ork BS down to 2. After that, I got used to every greenskin being poor shots.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011 - 1:28

Shadow elf conversions based on the kit mixes whiskeytango mentions do look nifty. With two of my heroes, I also used 40K witch elf legs and torsos to make two female warriors.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011 - 5:41

I really enjoy playing human warbands because of the wide range of weaponry and the themes that are possible.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011 - 10:57

Reiklanders are the group I have played far more than any other.

Beastmen are a little one-dimensional - charge forward into melee. Of course, that can be quite fun. But I miss not having any ability to shoot.
Back to top Go down
gorenut
Veteran
Veteran
gorenut

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011 - 18:01

mweaver wrote:
Reiklanders are the group I have played far more than any other.

Beastmen are a little one-dimensional - charge forward into melee. Of course, that can be quite fun. But I miss not having any ability to shoot.

Thats what I worry about playing Beastmen. I love the models, love Minotaurs.. but seems overall the warband has lack of variety. I'm already kind of playing a warband that lacks it in the troops (no equipment!).
Back to top Go down
Dribble Joy
Veteran
Veteran
Dribble Joy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011 - 20:03

At least with the low model-count close combat warbands you have to think more tactically. Orc hordes and Beastmen can be a bit formulaic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?   Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats a good contrasting Warband to Undead?
Page 1 of 1