Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Cursed Legion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitimeTue 16 Aug 2011 - 22:41

Cursed Legion was inspired from the old Regiment of Renown's Cursed Company.

Warriors of Choice:

A Cursed Legion warband must have a minimum of three models. You have 500 gold crowns to hire and equip your warband. The maximum number of members in your warband may never exceed fifteen.

Wight Lord - Your warband must include atleast one Wight Lord. No more, no less.
Black Knights - Your warband may have up to three Black Knights.
Necromancer - Your warband may have up to one Necromancer.
Skeleton Warriors - Your warband may have any number of Skeleton Warriors.
Grave Guard - Your warband may have up to five Grave Guard.
Wraith - Your warband may have up to two Wraiths.

Starting Experience:

The Wight Lord starts with 20 experience.
Black Knights start with 11 experience.
The Necromancer starts with 8 experience.
Henchmen start with 0 experience.

Cursed Legion skill tables:

The Wight Lord may choose skills from the Combat, Strength, Academic, and Special skill tables.
Black Knights may choose skills from the Combat, Strength, and Special skill tables.
The Necromancers may choose skills from the Academic and Speed skill tables.
Henchmen who become heroes via 'Lads got Talent' may choose skills from the Combat, Strength, and Special Skill skill tables.

Cursed Legion Equipment:

Hand to Hand Weapons:
Dagger 1st free/ 2 gc
Mace/Hammer 3 gc
Axe 5 gc
Sword 10 gc
Spear 10 gc
Halberd 10 gc
Morning Star 15 gc
Flail 15 gc
Double Handed Weapon 15 gc
Wight Blade 25 gc
Lance 40 gc

Missile Weapons:
None

Armor:
Light Armor 20 gc
Heavy Armor 50 gc
Helmet 10 gc
Shield 5 gc

Miscellaneous:
Skeleton Horse 40 gc
Barding 30 gc

New Equipment:
Wight Blade: A Wight Blade is a sword imbued with dark magical energy.
Range: Close Combat; Strength: As users; Special Rule: Wight

Special Rules:
Wight: The magical energy that covers the blade allows it to rend threw armor and flesh with ease. A Model with a Wight Blade adds +1 to all 'To Wound' rolls in close combat.

Skeleton Horse: Skeleton Horses were once great warhorses that have died and have been resurrected with the dark powers of necromancy.

M 8, Ws 2, Bs 0, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 2, A 1, Ld 5

Heroes:

1 Wight Lord; 65 gold crowns to hire.
Wight Lords were once great Lords from years long passed. Their eternal rest has been disturbed by either an eager necromancer or by their own hatred and fury. Now these undead warriors walk the earth leading an army towards the living, still yearning for the thrill of combat and conquest.

M 4, Ws 4, Bs 0, S 4, T 4, W 1, I 4, A 1, Ld 8
Weapons/Armor: A Wight Lord may be armed with weapons and armor chosen from the Cursed Legion Equipment list.

Special Rules:
Leader: All models in the warband within 6" of the Wight Lord may use his Leadership instead of their own.
Cause Fear: Wight Lords are terrifying Undead creatures and therefore cause fear.
Immune to Psychology: Wight Lords are not affected by psychology and never leave combat.
Immune to Poison: Wight Lords are not affected by any poisons
No Pain: Wight Lords treat a 'stunned' result on the Injury Chart as 'Knocked Down'

0-3 Black Knights; 45 gold crowns to hire.
Black Knights were great knights or guards of their once living lords. Once a Wight Lord awakens he often summons those who served him during his life to serve him once again.

M 4, Ws 3, Bs 0, S 3, T 4, W 1, I 3, A 1. Ld 7
Weapons/Armor: Black Knights may be armed with weapons and armor chosen from the Cursed Legion Equipment list.

Special Rules:
Cause Fear: Black Knights are terrifying Undead creatures and therefore cause fear.
Immune to Psychology: Black Knights are not affect by psychology and never leave combat
Immune to Poison: Black Knights are not effect by any poisons.
No Pain: Black Knights treat a 'stunned' result on the Injury Chart as 'Knocked Down'

0-1 Necromancers; 35 gold crowns to hire.
Wight Lords require the assistance of Necromancers to maintain the magical bonds that hold them to the world of the living.

M 4, Ws 3, Bs 3, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 3, A 1, Ld 7
Weapon/Armor: Necromancers may be armed with weapons and armor chosen from the Cursed Legion Equipment list.

Special Rules:
Wizard: Necromancers are Wizards and so are able to use Necromantic Magic. See the Magic section for details. (Note that instead of zombies, the Cursed Legion has Skeletons. Simply apply the spells that effect zombies to Skeleton Warriors)

Henchmen:

0+ Skeleton Warriors; 20 gold crowns to hire.
Skeleton Warriors are the most common force in the Legion's forces. They are animated skeletons of warriors who served the Wight Lord.

M 4, Ws 2, Bs 2, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 2, A 1, Ld 5
Weapons/Armor: Skeleton Warriors may be armed with weapons and armor chosen from the Cursed Legion Equipment list.

Special Rules:
Cause Fear: Skeletons are terrifying Undead creatures and therefore cause fear.
May not run: Skeletons are slow Undead creatures and may not run (but may charge normally).
Immune to Psychology: Skeletons are not affected by Psychology and never leave combat.
Immune to Poison: Skeletons have no flesh or organs and are not affected by any poisons.
No Pain: Skeletons treat a stunned result on the Injury chart as Knocked Down.
No Brain: Skeletons never gain experience.

0-5 Grave Guard; 40 gold crowns to hire.
Grave Guard are the elite infantry of the Cursed Legion. Unlike Skeleton Warriors, Grave Guard still have a their soul bonded to their skeleton bodies and armor. They still maintain their personalities and can still learn.

M 4, Ws 3, Bs 0, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 3, A 1, Ld 6
Weapons/Armor: Grave Guards may be armed with weapons and armor chosen from the Cursed Legion Equipment list.

Special Rules:
Cause Fear: Grave Guard are terrifying Undead creatures and therefore cause fear.
May not run: Grave Guard are slow Undead creatures and may not run (but may charge normally).
Immune to Psychology: Grave Guard are not affected by Psychology and never leave combat.
Immune to Poison: Grave Guard have no flesh or organs and are not affect by any poisons.
No Pain: Grave Guard treat a Stunned result on the Injury chart as Knocked Down.

0-2 Wraiths; 150 gold to hire.
Wraiths are ghostly figures that haunt the graveyards and tombs of the Wight Lord, they often follow the Undead Lord were ever he goes.

M 6, Ws 3, Bs 0, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 2, A 2, Ld 5
Weapons/Armor: Wicked Scythe. A Wraith can never be equipped with weapons or armor. It has a Wicked Scythe which is considered a Double Handed Weapon. Wraiths can replace their Wicked Scythe with a Sword at no additional costs when the model is first purchased, once a weapon is chosen for the Wraith it may not change it back.

Special Rules:
Cause Fear: Wraiths are ghostly figures and therefore cause fear.
May not run: Wraiths are unable to run (but charge normally).
Immune to Psychology: Wraiths are not affected by Psychology and never leave combat.
Immune to Poison: Wraiths do not have flesh or organs and are not affect by any poisons.
No Brain: Wraiths never gain experience.
Ethereal: Wraiths are bound to the world by Necromancy that is highly volatile and unstable. If taken Out Of Action a Wraith is banished and effectively destroyed on a D6 roll of 1-3 (do not roll for injury). In addition, if the warband routs then every Wraith in the warband must take an immediate Leadership test. If this test is failed, then the Wraith counts as destroyed.
Incorporeal: Wraiths have no real physical form and may pass through any terrain as if it was open ground. If the Wraith wishes to climb up or down terrain it may do so. The Wraith also never suffers from Fall Damage.
Ghostly Aura: The Wraith has a magical aura around itself, it has a 5+ save that is not affected by strength unless that attack is magical.

Cursed Legion Special Skills:

Rebuild: Although the Warriors of the Cursed Legion are undead, the magical bond that holds them together maybe destroyed or damaged. In the event that a model with this skill loses a limb or suffers from a Injury that would hinder its profile then roll a D6, of a 4+ the model was able to rebuild itself, if the roll was failed then the model suffers from the Injury.

Eternal: When a model with this skill is taken Out of Action, you may reroll on the Injury Chart once again and apply that result. This skill maybe only used once per scenario.

Join Us: When ever a enemy Henchmen or Hero has been killed and removed from the opposing warband's roster you may elect to try to bring him back as an undead servant. On a d6 roll of a 4+ you managed to resurrect the warrior. To represent this, if the model was a Henchmen you may add a single Skeleton Warrior to your warband, if it was a Hero you may add a Grave Guard to your warband roster. Note that these new warriors must be given armor and weapons from the Cursed Legion Equipment list. Note that Grave Guard gained this way still count towards your limit of Grave Guard. In addition any exploration chart rolls that would involve gaining Zombies for the Undead or helping survivors for the Mercenaries you may choose either option. (Some Wight Lords still have a shred of humanity.)

Unleashed Torrent: A model equipped with a Wight Blade may unleash some of the magical energy bounded to the blade and follows the profile below.
Range: 10"; Strength 5; Special Rules: Fire every other turn.

Martial Prowess: (Wight Lord Only) The Wight Lord has years of military experience, from both in his past life and the battles those he has fought during his undeath. As long as the Wight Lord is on the field, the Warband may reroll one failed Route Test per scenario.

Last edited by Murray145 on Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 22:43; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitimeTue 16 Aug 2011 - 22:43

Notes: I made Skeleton Horses instead of using Nightmares because Nightmares are expensive and only usable by Necromancers and Vampires.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011 - 5:18

Not bad, but you seem to miss the FLAVOR behind the Cursed Legion. The Legion's not just another group of Undead... they're Undead that HATE other Undead!

Forgive me if you've seen this, but I think it's a great source of ideas:

THECURSED COMPANY
Captain: Richter Kreugar the Damned.
Battle-cry: The battle-cry of Richter Kreugar has long been forgotten by the people of the Old World. The silence of the grave hangs over the Cursed Company as it traverses the land, marching to war accompanied only by the sound of creaking ancient leather and the scrape of rusted metal.
For Hire: Any Warhammer army other than Bretonnians, Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings of Khemri may hire the Cursed Company, and the regiment counts as a Rare Troops choice. (Richter has an eternal hatred for those who subjected him to his fate, and so will not fight for the Undead.) Dogs of War armies may choose the Cursed Company, in which case it counts as a Special choice.
Points: Richter Kreugar and nine of the Cursed Company including a Standard Bearer and Musician cost a total of 305 points. This is the minimum size regiment you can hire. The size of the regiment may be increased at the cost of 10 points per model, up to a maximum unit size of 30.
Profile M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Richter Kreugar 4 5 3 4 4 2 4 3 9
Cursed Company Skeletons 4 2 2 3 3 1 2 1 3
Weapons/Armour: Richter Kreugar is armed with a shield, heavy armour, the Dark Gem of the Cursed and his unholy sword, Blight. The Skeletons of the Cursed Company are equipped with shields, light armour and hand weapons, and the Standard Bearer carries the Banner of Malediction. (Note: Despite the armour that appears on the individual models within the Cursed DOGS OF WAR 69 DOGS OF WAR Company, it is assumed for the sake of simplicity that all the models are equipped with light armour.)
Armour Save: 5+ for the Cursed Company Skeletons, 4+ for Richter Kreugar.
MAGIC ITEMS
Blight Magic Weapon Blight is a darkly powerful blade, centuries old and suffused with unholy magic. Blight confers +1 Strength to all close combat attacks made by Richter. In addition, the weapon has the Killing Blow special rule (see page 112 of the Warhammer rulebook).
Dark Gem of the Cursed Talisman The Dark Gem of the Cursed glows a blood-red shade that intensifies when a blow is directed towards Richter, protecting him from harm. 4+ Ward save.
The Banner of Malediction Magic Standard The sinister banner of the Cursed Company has been carried for centuries by various enslaved warriors of Richter. It is a dark parody of his original, disgraced mercenary company banner. The Cursed Company suffers one less wound than they normally would when defeated in combat. As an example, if the Cursed Company loses a combat by 3, they should lose three extra models, but because of the Banner of Malediction, they lose only two models.
SPECIAL RULES
“Join us in damnation…” As part of Kreugar’s curse, any foe slain by him or one of his company are withered by dark magic, their flesh ageing as if decades had passed in the blink of an eye. The lifeless victim is instantly enslaved to the will of Richter, rising to accompany him in his eternal curse. If any model within the Cursed Company (including Kreugar himself) slays a model with only 1 wound on its starting profile, then one Skeleton is created in its place. Models created in this way are added to the Cursed Company, and are armed in the same manner as the Company. The Victory points value of the unit is unaffected. This rule counts only for models that are killed in close combat, and not for models killed in any other way (for example, running down fleeing troops).
Independent The Cursed Company is a completely independently acting unit. Richter and the Cursed Company will never use the Leadership of the General, even if it is better than his own. Additionally, the Cursed Company cannot be joined by any characters.
Hatred Richter Kreugar hates all other Undead. This applies to Richter only.
Undead The Cursed Company is Undead, and as such the following rules apply to them:
Leader If Richter is killed, the Cursed Company will quickly begin to crumble to dust. At the end of the phase when Richter is killed, and at the beginning of each of their turns thereafter, the Cursed Company must take a Leadership test. If the test is failed, the unit suffers a number of wounds equal to the number they failed the Leadership test by. No saves of any kind are allowed against these wounds.
Break Tests The Cursed Company cannot be broken. If the Cursed Company is beaten in combat, it suffers one extra wound for every point they lost the combat by, with no saves of any kind allowed (remember that with the Banner of Malediction, this number is reduced by one).
Immune to Psychology The Cursed Company is Immune to Psychology. The only exception to this is that Richter Kreugar hates Undead.
Charge Reactions The Cursed Company can only react by holding their ground.
Marching The Cursed Company can march as long as Richter is still alive. If Richter dies, the Cursed Company cannot make march moves.
Cause Fear The Cursed Company and Richter cause fear.

How to apply this?

~ Ditch the necromancer. You end up with an Undead band that doesn't have a Necromancer. Maybe you have a "Slave Driver" "or Sergeant, who lets one model within 6" take a second move of 4" or something.
~I like Join Us. Add it as a default ability... you don't get any Necro spells, but you get a cheapo "Spell of Animation" for free.
~Give the leader "Hatred of Undead. This ignores the rule, "Immune to Psychology". Maybe give it to the Black Knights too.
~ I was originally going to suggest you ditch the Wight Blades, but once I saw the magic item "Blight", I have to reconsider. Still, to me, Wight blade says "Vampire Counts". What if you gave it to the Leader only? Maybe give the Knights something else.
~ To keep them separate from the Undead, what if they had a SUPER cheap unit type?

0-6 Shamblers - 10gc
Skeletons 4 2 0 3 3 1 1 1 3
Equipment: Come with a dagger. May not purchase further items.
Undead: Fear, immune to psych, cannot run, do not gain exp
Crumble: If the Shambler suffers an Injury of "Stunned", he treats it as "Out of Action."
Expendable: A shambler only counts as half a model when factoring what your Rout Level is out, and when taken out of action, only counts as half a model.

Why Shamblers? I see a lost legion, walking the Earth endlessly, I don't think of black knights and gleaming blades... I picture dusty warriors in the desert, with rusty armor. Some of them are so mismatched and scrambled that their bodies are no longer intact.. some have two left arms, or have their own cracked skulls replaced with their enemy's.

Also, I think that a Hero first takes "Rebuild", he may immediately remove one permanent injury from his stats.

Eternal: You forget to include the fact that when attacking a knocked down skel, he doesn't role for injury. May I suggest:

"Eternal: The first time during any game that the hero would be taken out of action, you reroll the result. If the hero was knocked down at the time, the attacker rerolls the roll to wound the hero. The second result must be accepted. This skill only applies once per game, and cannot be taken multiple times."

EDIT: Or, maybe, instead of the Shamblers, you have an elite unit of Pulverizers... S4 skeletons (that don't gain Exp) that ignore the "No Pain" rule. Their specialty: smashing up the Undead!

Or, maybe he's a skeletal Ogre. Makes sense: Cursed Legion = Dogs of War, and Dogs of War = Ogres.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
mrtn
General
General
mrtn

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011 - 17:42

I like the general idea of the warband, I'd like to play some skeleton warriors myself.
However I don't like the wraith, paying 150 gold and being almost certain to lose him after the first loss is no good, I'd rather have a slightly weaker guy if I was more certain I could keep him.
Back to top Go down
Lydor
Captain
Captain
Lydor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011 - 19:03

even with the way you have him built, you have greatly overpriced your wraith. i would say 60 crowns or so, considering allmost all his special skills are detrimental
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011 - 12:48

Less than that, he's weaker than the Plague Bearer, which is at 50. Maybe 45?

Also:
Ghostly Aura: The Wraith has a magical aura around itself, it has a 5+ save that is not affected by strength unless that attack is magical.

Need to clarify. Right now, it sounds like he always has a save of 5+, but it's only modified for strength when attacked by a magical weapons. Break it into two sentences, it'll be clearer.
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug 2011 - 5:21

Well, I didn't want my Cursed Legion to be considered a 'good guy' warband so I decided to keep them nuetral and leave out the Hatred Undead. I certainly could write up Richter Kreugar the Damned as a Dramatis Personae and he would be like an Undead Bertha (being the leader of the warband and giving them special rules)
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitimeFri 19 Aug 2011 - 5:26

Sounds good. Or make it so the Leader is a Leutenant under Richter, with a similar minded view of the Undead. but you're right, "Neutral" is a good way of describing them. Right now, they're coming across as generically evil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cursed Legion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cursed Legion   Cursed Legion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cursed Legion
Page 1 of 1