Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Estalian Privateers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Estalian Privateers Empty
PostSubject: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 11:05

Choice of Warriors:
A Estalian Privateer warband must include a minimum of three models. You have 500 gold crowns available to spend. The maximum number of warriors in the warband may never exceed 15.

* Captain: Each Estalian Privateer warband must have one Captain: no more, no less!
* Conquistadors: Your warband may include up to three Conquistadors.
* Missionary: Your warband may include up to one Missionaries.
* Marines: Your warband may include any number of Marines.
* Duelists: Your warband may include no more than five Duelists.

Special Rules:

Mariners: Having spend most of their lives at sea, the Estalian Privateers add +2 Movement to any boat they happen to be riding.

Starting Experience:

* The Captain starts with 20 experience.
* Conquistadors start with 8 experience.
* Missionaries start with 0 experience.
* Henchmen start with 0 experience.

Estalian Privateers Skill Tables:

* The Captain may choose from the Combat, Shooting, Academic, Strength or Speed.
* Conquistadors may choose from the Combat, Shooting or Speed.
* Missionaries may choose from the Academic or Speed.

Estalian Privateer Equipment List:

Privateers:

Hand to Hand Weapons:
-Dagger 1st Free/ 2 gc
-Sword 10 gc
-Spear 10 gc
-Rapier 15 gc
-Halberd 10 gc
-Two Handed Weapon 15 gc
-Hammer/Mace 3 gc

Missile Weapons:
-Crossbow 15(*)/25 gc
-Pistol 15 gc
-Pistol, Brace 30 gc
-Dueling Pistol 25 gc
-Dueling Pistol, Brace 50 gc
-Handgun 35 gc

Armor:
-Light Armor 15 gc (*)/20 gc
-Heavy Armor 40 gc
-Helmet 10 gc
-Shield 5 gc
-Buckler 5 gc
-Pavise 25 gc

Conquistadors:

Hand to Hand Weapons:
-Dagger 1st Free/2 gc
-Sword 5 gc (*)/10 gc
-Hammer/Mace 3 gc
-Morning Star 15 gc
-Spear 10 gc
-Rapier 15 gc
-Halberd 10 gc
-Lance 15 gc (mounted characters only)
-Two Handed Weapon 15 gc

Missile Weapons:
-Pistol 15 gc
-Pistol, Brace 30 gc
-Dueling Pistol 25 gc
-Dueling Pistol, Brace 50 gc
-Handgun 35 gc

Armor:
-Heavy Armor 30 gc (*)/40 gc
-Light Armor 20gc
-Shield 5 gc
-Buckler 5 gc
-Helmet 5 gc (*)

Miscellaneous:
-Horse 40 gc
-Warhorse 80 gc
-Barding 30 gc

(*) = These weapons and armor are a common sight amongst Privateers and Conquistadors, this cost only applys when the warband is first formed.

Heroes:

1 Captain: 60 gc to hire
Captains are tough professional warrior, men who will fight for anyone or against anything so long as the price is right. Mordheim offers such a man the chance to become rich beyond his dreams, though at great risk. But as ruthlessness and lack of mercy and pity are the hallmarks of a successful Captain, it is no wonder that they flock to Mordheim.

M 4; Ws 4; Bs 4; S 3; T 3; W 1: I 4; A 1; Ld 8
Weapons/Armor: A Captain may be equipped with weapons and armor chosen from the Privateer or Conquistador Equipment List.

Special Rules:
Leader: Any warrior within 6" of the Captain may use his Leadership characteristic when taking Leadership tests.

Tradesmen: Having many connections with various trade ships, the Privateers have access to various goods. As long as the Captain is still alive the Estalian Privateer warbands receive a +1 bonus when attempting to find rare items (see the Trading section for rules).

0-3 Conquistador: 35 gc to hire
Conquistadors are men in search of adventure and treasures.
M 4; Ws 4; Bs 3; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 3; A 1; Ld 7
Weapons/Armor: A Conquistador may be equipped with weapons and armor chosen from the Conquistador Equipment List.

0-1 Missionary: 40 gc to hire
Missionaries are holy men/women who serve the patron goddess of Estalia; Myrmidia.
M 4; Ws 2; Bs 2; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 3; A 1; Ld 8
Weapons/Armor: A Missionary is wears Robes and is equipped with a Spear and Shield. The Missionary may be mounted on a Estalian Mule for an additional 20 gc. The Missionary may also equipped with the Icon of Myrmida for an additional 15 gc.

Special Rules:

Holy Word: A Missionary's rousing speech steels the hearts of all those around him. Any friendly model within 6" of the Missionary may re-roll any failed Leadership test with a +1 to Leadership. This includes rout tests.

Convert: Whenever the Estalian Privateers encounters a lost person (or people) on an exploration roll that would normally provide an Undead warband the option to add more zombies, or other warbands the option to sell people as slaves, the Warband may add them as Marines.

Botanist: Skilled in gathering healing herbs, after every battle before and before trading if the Missionary was not taken Out of Action Roll a d6, on a 4+ the Missionary has found a healing herb that reduces the out-come of a single serious injury chart by 1d6. (This means you roll a d66 - 1d6.)

Icon of Myrmida: The Symbol of the goddess is inscribed onto the Missionary's shield. This icon protects them from harm with its benevolent energies granting the Missionary a 5+ save, which cannot be reduced by anything and cannot be improved. If any spells are casted within 6" of the Missionary, roll a d6. On a roll of 5 or higher the spell is then dispelled. This ability can be used on shooting spells that are aimed at any target within 6" of the Missionary but are dispelled on a 6+ rather than 5+.

Henchmen:

0+ Marines; 25 gc to hire

M 4; Ws 3; Bs 3; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 3: A 1; Ld 7
Weapons/Armor: Warriors may be equipped with weapons and armor chosen from the Privateer Equipment list.

0-5 Duelists; 35 gc to hire
M 4, Ws 3, Bs 3, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 3, A 1; Ld 7
Weapons/Armor: Warriors may be equipped with weapons and armor chosen from the Privateer Equipment list.

Special Rules:

Weapon Finesse: Every Duelist specializes in a certain weapon, each Duelist must pick one of the follow rules; (note that each Duelist may have different Weapon Finesses in the same group)

-Expert Swordsmen: These Duelists are so skilled with their weapons that they may re-roll any failed hits when charging. Note that this only applies when they are armed with normal swords, and not with double handed swords or any other weapons. In addition the Duelist gains +1 to his Weapon Skill.

-Marksmen: These Duelists are crack shots and may re-roll any failed to hits when shooting. Note that this only applies when they are armed with a single or brace of Pistols (either Dueling or Normal). In addition the Duelist gains +1 to his Ballistic Skill.

Special Equipment

Pavise
A pavise is a huge shield commonly used by regiments of warriors in a battle to defend themselves from the arrows of their enemies. It is a weighty item and little use in a long protracted combat but excellent against shooting. Special Rules:
● Cover/Save: A warrior using a pavise counts as if he is in cover against missile attacks (-1 to hit). In close combat, the pavise counts as a shield (+1 armor save) but only if the warrior was charged to his front. Because the pavise is so heavy and cumbersome, the bearer suffers -1 to his/her movement

Estalian Mule
Humans Only

Mules are strong working animals but are not suited for combat.
M 8; Ws -; Bs -; S 4; T 4; W 1; I 2; A 0; Ld 5
[b]

Last edited by Murray145 on Wed 27 Apr 2011 - 7:39; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 20:22

I think the Missionary should cost a lot more than he does. Or maybe make some of his special rules skills he can learn. But he is a youngblood with 2 more ld, and 15 worth of gear in addition to all the rules. If you are using row boats doesn't that +2 movement unablance things a bit? Norse get a bonus to strength for rowing, maybe re-word a little?

And unless you are using some house rules duelling pistols have a huge discount. Don't most the warbands that get them for a discount pay 25 each? I am assuming you have house rules for armor costs and such too?

The convert ability is a fun one but I was thinking maybe they should be a seperate unit called Converts. Stats like a Swabbie but able to gain exp and also do not need to have uniform equipment. Maybe they are immune to fear when within 6" of the Missionary? I just like the idea of a Missionary with his posse of converts then the Captain and his marines.

Just some ideas!
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 21:09

Okay, you were right about the cost of Dueling Pistols, and I changed those.

I did change the point cost on the Missionary

I was thinking of making stats and rules for converts but their is such a small chance to get them that it seemed a bit pointless.
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 21:43

Oh wow, i just realized he has a 4+ invulerable save!!! That is worth a LOT more than 40gc... I would just make his shield a magic shields that cannot be reduced below 6+. But you can buy him armor to boost his save. Gives more customization =)

And rerolling all missed shots for a duelist is very powerful. I would consider giving it a condition (like expert swordsman has) maybe only when they are not moving?

This is a fun fluffy warband. With a very powerful model in the Missionary. Should be fun to see some playtesting of!
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 21:51

I figured that the Shield's Inv Save was a bit to good, so I changed it to a 5+. I was thinking about changing the special rule for Marksmen Duelists, but the way I see it is that if you are going to field a Pistol Duelist it will cost 50 gc for a single Bs 4 Shot that re-rolls if it misses and then has to take a turn to reload, I find it a fair trade.

As you can see, 95% of this warband's ranged weaponry are Black-Powder weapons and due to Prepared Shot special rule it makes them lack descent ranged support, so I cut down the cost of crossbows by 10 coins when starting the warband.
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 22:01

Sorry if I sound discouraging I am NOT trying to be that way. I LOVE making new warbands (which you will see if you look up my Southlands lists or my Snotling Horde). Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011 - 22:23

Oh no, I appreciate your constructive criticism completely, it helps me work out the kinks in my warbands.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeWed 27 Apr 2011 - 2:43

Some really neat stuff here! Would fit really well into the Sartosa campaign too...

Few thoughts:

~You call them Privateers, but they are more Conquistadors. Might I suggest you simply call them "Conquistadors?"

~Tradesmen: If this bonus only applies if you have a Captain, why not add it to the Captain's special rules? It applies to him more than it does the rest of the warband.

~Equipment: Consider adding "Rapier" to the equipment list. It's a much-overlooked add-on item, but fits the Spanish style.

~Missionary: He's got a LOT of special rules right now. To par it down:
>>Make the save /ward a special item, which only the missionary can use. That way, he has to pay extra money for it, but doesn't start with it for free (in addition to the other abilities he has.) Avoid the term "shield", 'cause that will cause people to think it's something he holds. Call it an Amulet or something. Charge 15-30gc. Also, maybe it doesn't stack with armor (or the Missionary can't wear armor?) That prevents people objecting too much.
>>The "able to dispell any spell within 6" " is a little powerful- throw in the "unless a target" rule, and it's even more confusing. Rather, maybe he's able to dispell any spell that AFFECTS him on 5+ - that way, if he falls under a template that also hits a friendly warrior, the friendly warrior is protected. Same affect (to a weaker degree), and a little cleaner.

~Duelists: Really like these guys. To avoid confusion, add in "all Duelists in the same henchmen group must have the same Finesse." It's implied, but better to be redundant than unclear.

Mule: There are already rules for Mules (Empire in Flames campaign.) Either use those rules, or change the name of the animal (Estalian Mule, Burro, etc.)
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeWed 27 Apr 2011 - 20:15

So Rapiers were added to the equipment lists, the missionaries Icon of Myrmida is now an upgrade.

Now its time to start some play testing

First game:
Reiklanders vs Estalian Privateers

Second game:
Ogres vs Estalian Privateers

Third game:
Cult of the Possessed vs Estalian Privateers
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 11:59

Okay dokey, So I been doing some play testings and here is my summary:

Pro's:

Great at Out of Combat benefits, much like Marienburger they have a lot of benefits outside of combat.

Holy Roller: The Missionary is the center point of this warband and is best given top priority. I made sure to keep either a duelist or conquistador around him to intercept charging units. Giving him the Mule didn't really help much aside from giving him some movement. The Botanist special ability has been a god send from time to time.

Conquistadors: Pretty good units, they seemed to have the same pro's/con's as Champions in other Human Warband.

Marines: These guys being the bulk of the army work just like warriors in other human warbands, but do lack cheap missile weapons. But due to their special rule, they are able to purchase Crossbows at a lower cost when starting a warband. In my campaigns verses the Ogres, I fielded 3 - 4 Marines with Crossbows.

Duelists: These guys were awesome, they could a bit pricey from time to time, but they were worth their costs. When I played against Reiklanders I had 1 Marksmen Duelist with a Pistol and Sword and 2 Swordsmen Duelists with Swords and Shields. The Marksmen duelist was later armed with two pistols and became the bane of high armored units and actually became a caused the Possessed to hate all duelists (one of the results on the injury chart).

Con's

-The warband had most problems as any other human warbands when it comes to stats.

-Less shooting potential then other mercenaries, as you have to focus on close combat - mid ranged combat

-As most Mercenaries they lack magic users.

-Fewer warrior choices: Aside from their heroes you have 2 choices of Henchmen, Marines or Duelists. After showing this list to my friends they seemed to lean towards fielding mostly duelists.

-If the Leader dies you lose the Tradesmen Ability

-Expensive ranged weapons, 85% of the ranged weapons are Black Powder weapons and those can get pricey.

In Conclusion: this warband works just like most Human Mercs/ Witch Hunters. This warband is suited for players that like to play Melee/Mid Ranged Combat.
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011 - 12:38

Estalian Warband Fluff:

Estalian Privateers: Where there is conflict, there is profit. The Estalian's have always been notorious for doing what ever it takes to get job done, even if that means taking less than reputable means to do so. Privateers are groups of men that are hired by various interest group to accomplish what ever is needed. These 'tasks' can range from either protecting cargo ships from pirates to 'harassing' the competition of Merchant Lords.

The Privateers are often accompanied by Conquistadors, men who are soldiers, explorers, and adventurers searching for glory and gold. Estalian Captains are more than willing to hire these trained men and use their skills to their advantage.

Missionaries are holy men and women who worship the patron goddess of Estalia: Myrmida. Although Missionaries are not known to be fighting men, they do have their place in the Warband. Their finally honed rhetoric is a valuable asset to a captain, being able to not only inspire their men but to also act as a Emissary for the warband.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Estalian Privateers   Estalian Privateers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Estalian Privateers
Page 1 of 1