Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Hobgoblin Warband

Go down 
+2
StyrofoamKing
Murray145
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 9:23

Maglah Khan's boys are comming to town.

Choice of Warriors:
A Hobgoblin warband must include a minimum of 3 models. You have 500 gold crowns, which you can use to recruit and equip your warband. The maximum number of warriors in the warband is 20.

Hobgoblin Big Boss: Each Hobgoblin warband must have one Big Boss; no more, no less!

Boss: Your warband may include up to 3 Bosses.

Wolf Tamer: Your warband may include up to 1 Wolf Tamer.

Hobgoblin Raiders: Your warband may include any number of Hobgoblins.

Wolves: Your warband may include up to 5 wolves, you may not have more Wolves in your warband than Hobgoblins.

Hobgoblin Wolf Chariot: Your warband may include up to 1 Wolf Chariot

Special Rules:

Animosity: Goblins spend much of their lives squabbling and fighting amongst themselves. Sometimes this will happen at the worst of times. At the beginning of each Hobgoblin turn roll a D6. On a roll of 1 they start to squabble and will do nothing else for the rest of the turn. Only Hobgoblins are affected. Trolls, Squigs, Snotlings and other non-goblins are not affected and will act as normal.

Fear Elves: All Goblins fear all kind of Elves. Elves are haunty, unnatural and 'stink funny', which is more than enough to unnerve the toughest Hobgoblin. When fighting against Elves (Shadow Warriors, Dark Elves, or Wood Elves), if the Hobgoblin Warband is routed and pass their route test, they must re-roll the result, if they pass a second time they have overcome their fear and get back into the thick of it!

Distasteful Company: Many Hired Swords refuse to work for Hobgoblins, as they know that Hobgoblins are just as likely to rob them as fight alongside them. Hobgoblins may only hire the following Hired Swords: Pit Fighters, Ogre Bodyguards, Warlock, Witches, and any Greenskin Hired Blades or Dramatist Personae (This includes; Orcs, Goblins, Trolls, Hobgoblins, and Gnoblar).

Starting Experience:

Hobgoblin Big Boss starts with 20 experience

Hobgoblin Boss starts with 15 experience

Hobgoblin Wolf Tamer starts with 10 experience

Henchmen start with 0 experience.

Hobgoblin Skill Table:

Hobgoblin Big Boss may choose from the Combat, Shooting, Speed, or Special Skills.

Hobgoblin Boss may choose from the Combat, Shooting, Speed, or Special Skills.

Hobgoblin Wolf Tamer may choose from Shooting, Speed, or Special Skills.

Henchmen who become a hero from 'The Lad Got Talent' may choose from Shooting or Speed Skills.

Maximum Characteristics:
Hobgoblin characteristics may not be increased beyond the maximum profile limits shown below. If a characteristic is at its maximum, take the other option or roll again if you can only increase one characteristic. If both are already at their maximum, you may increase any other by +1 instead. Remember that Henchmen can only add +1 to any characteristic.

M 6; Ws 5; Bs 5; S 4; T 4; W 3; I 5; A 4; Ld 8

Hobgoblin Wargear:

Hand to Hand Weapons:
-Dagger 1st Free/ 2 GC
-Axe 5 GC
-Club 3 GC
-Sword 10 GC
-Spear 10 GC
-Great Weapon(*) 15 GC
-Lance(*) 20 GC

Missile Weapons:
-Short Bow 5 GC
-Bow(*) 10 GC
-Throwing Knives 5 GC

Armour:
-Light Armor 20 GC
-Helmet 10 GC
-Shield 5 GC
-Fur Hide Cloak(*) 25 GC
-Barding (*) 20 GC

Miscellaneous Gear:
-Hunting Arrows 15 GC
-Flaming Arrows 25 GC
-Torches 2 GC
-Fire Bombs(*) 50 GC
-Riding Wolf 35 GC

(*) = Only usable by Heroes

Heroes:

Hobgoblin Big Boss: 60 Gold
M 4; Ws 4; Bs 4; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 3; A 1; Ld 7
Weapons and Armor: A Big Boss may choose weapons, armor, and gear from the Hobgoblin Equipment List.

Special Rules:

Leader: Any model in the warband within 6” of the Big Boss may use his Leadership instead of their own.

Hobgoblin Boss: 0 - 3; 35 Gold per model

M 4; Ws 4; Bs 3; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 3; A 1; Ld 6
Weapons and Armor: A Boss may choose weapons, armor, and gear from the Hobgoblin Equipment List.

Hobgoblin Wolf Tamer: 0 - 1; 25 Gold
M 4; Ws 3; Bs 4; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 4; A 1; Ld 6
Weapons and Armor: A Wolf Tamer may choose weapons, armor, and gear from the Hobgoblin Equipment List.

Henchmen:

Hobgoblin Raiders: 0+; 20 Gold Per Model
M 4; Ws 3; Bs 3; S 3; T 3; W 1; I 3; A 1; Ld 5
Weapons and Armor: A Hobgoblin Raiders may choose weapons, armor, and gear from the Hobgoblin Equipment List.

Wolf Pack: 0 - 5; 15 Gold Per Model

M 6; Ws 4; Bs 0; S 4; T 3; W 1; I 4; A 1; Ld 5
Weapons/Armor: Claws and Fangs. Wolves never use or need weapons or armor.

Special Rules:

Animals: Wolves are animals of a sort and so do not gain experience.

Ignored: Wolves taken Out of Action do not count to the number of Out of Action models for the purpose of Rout test.

Feral: Although Wolves are trained for combat, they are still considered feral and are not suited for a mount; Wolves in a Wolf Pack may never be used as Riding Wolves at any time.

Trained: Each wolf must always remain within 6” of a Hobgoblin, who keeps the creature in line. If a Wolf finds itself without a Goblin within 6” at the start of it’s Movement phase, it will go wild. From that point on, move the Wolf 2D6” in a random direction during each of its movement phases. If it’s random movement takes it into contact with another model (friend or foe), it will engage the model in hand-to-hand combat as normal. The Wolf is out of the Hobgoblin player’s control until the end of the game.

Hobgoblin Wolf Chariot: 0 - 1; 150 Gold

Chariot: M -; Ws -; Bs - ; S 4; T 4; W 3; I -; A -; Ld -
Wolves: M 6; Ws 4; Bs -; S 4; T 3; W 1; I 4; A 1; Ld 5

Armor: The Chariot has a 6+ Armor Save

Mounting – Any Hobgoblin may mount and dismount a chariot in the same way as a ridden steed (or wolf).

Movement – A Wolf Chariot normally moves at 5" and may not run. However, it may double its normal move when charging.

Difficult Ground – If a chariot moves over difficult ground it suffers D3 Strength 4 hits. If the chariot is charging over difficult ground, it suffers 2D3 Strength 6 hits.

Wolves – If one Wolf dies, the chariot is reduced to half movement but may still charge (also at half normal charge distance). However impact hits will no longer be effective. If both steeds die, the chariot is immobile and the Hobgoblin must fight on foot.

Combat – Chariots are feared for their devastating charges that make use of their horrible scythed wheels that will cut down any warriors in their path. A Hobgoblin is allowed to charge any enemy warrior that he can see who is in the open, he is not forced to charge the closest warrior. If the chariot moves more than half its normal move, it may make impact hits. Anyone directly in the path of a charging chariot is permitted an Initiative test to dodge out of the way and avoid being hit. The Hobgoblin must roll to hit as normal, a successful hit causing a single wound at Strength 4 with a -2 armor save. At the end of the charge move, the Hobgoblin may fight any enemy models in base contact, as if he had charged normally. In combat, enemy warriors in contact may elect to strike the chariot or its driver. If hitting the chariot, the attacker must still make a to hit roll against the charioteer. If in base contact with only a Wolf, then only the Wolf can be hit.

Shooting – A chariot is a large target and a warrior gains +1 to hit when shooting at a chariot. If the chariot is hit, roll a D6 to see where it is hit: 1-2 wolf , 3-4 chariot, 5-6 hobgoblin

Special Skills:

Fire Raid: (One model only) Any model armed with a Torch or armed with Fire Arrows may attempt to set a building aflame. This skill is used on a single building within 4". Any enemy models touching the building will suffer a single S3 hit. In addition the building will collapse and any models on it will count as having fallen to the ground (for example a model falling 5" to the tabletop must pass two Initiative tests to avoid taking D3 S5 hits.) Remove the terrain feature from the board for the rest of the game.

Hit and Run: Veteran of countless raids, a model with this skill is able to break from combat. After charging and combat is resolved the model with this skill automatically breaks from combat and runs 2d6" in the direction of the owning player's choosing. This ability is unavailable if the model is stunned or knocked down. (This skill does not apply to models riding in Chariots.)

Well Trained: (Big Boss only) Once per game, you may re-roll one failed Animosity Test and one failed Rout Test unless you are facing against Elves.

Expert Rider: (Heroes only. Only one model) a model with this skill who is mounted on a Riding Wolf may Ignore all Difficult terrain, the rider is also may enter buildings, but may only charge the distance equal to its current movement. The Rider may also not search the building for any treasure/loot.

Leader of the Pack: (Wolf Tamer Only) A Wolf Tamer with this skill increases the distance wolves may be away from Hobgoblins by an additional 6 Inches, he may also regained control of a wolf that has gone wild. Roll a Initiative test; If the test is a success the Wolf comes under the control of Hobgoblin Warband once again, if failed the wolf still continues running wild.

Sick'em Boys!: (Wolf Tamer Only) The Wolf Tamer calls on the wolves in the warband to attack a single model this counts as his shooting attack. All wolves that are not stunned, knocked down, or locked in close-combat must attack the elected target. All Wolves who do attack the Target gain Hatred of that Model for that turn.

Lucky Find: This Hobgoblin is especially good at locating valuable resources. When rolling on the Exploration chart at the end of a game, the Hero may modify one dice roll by +1/-1.

Special Equipment:

Fur Hide Cloak: This cloak gives the wearer +1 Armor save to his current save, if the wearer does not have an armor save, it has a 6+ Save.

Fire Bomb: a Hand Held Grenade filled with flammable materials.

Range: Equal to the wielders strength characteristic. Strength: 4. Special Rules: Fire Blaze, One shot Only.

Special Rule: Fire Blaze, the model equipped with this counts having the "Fire Raid" Special Rule.

Last edited by Murray145 on Fri 20 May 2011 - 18:56; edited 20 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixing errors, making things more clear, spacing)
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 20:46

Yay Hobbo love!

I like the basic idea, but a few things come up:

Flavor: I have to remind myself when I write a new band: what's the story? What's their goal, what's their purpose? For example, these hobgoblins seem to be devoid of a location. For Hobgoblins, they generally come from one of two places: the Dark Lands, or the Cathay Steppes. If they're from the Dark Lands, include some of the old school Chaos Dwarf touches... instead of bosses, their gits. Add the sneaky git in there, and give them some slaves. If their from the steppes, research the Mongols. Look up some Mongolian names for the leaders. The mongols were master of the hit and run attack- maybe that can show in their special skills? More heroes/henchmen with a bow theme?

Max stats: I think, back in 5th Ed, the max stats of Hobbos were the same as Humans, except with -1 Init and -1 Ld.

Bosses: how many can you take?

Wolves: M5 is kinda low for a wolf (dogs have M6, and Wolves in the Norse band have M9). Consider raising it a touch.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 21:27

Yeah, This warband was suppose to be a Mongolian Themed warband and apart of Maglah Khan's Wolfboyz.

They do have Raiding and Hit and Run skills in their special skills.

Yeah, I realized that I needed to make it a bit more clear and I need to still fix some stats and max characteristics.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 21:40

Sorry, missed the Hit and Run. Exactly what I was talking about.

Again, look up Mongol titles. For example, when I did I a Hobbo group a few years ago, the shaman figure was called the Maghu (which is from Mongolian.) When in doubt, find pics of Maglah and see if anything inspires you.

Oh, and probably add the rule "cannot ride Wolf pack". I know you can't, but if you don't write it, someone will try to fudge the rules so that they can.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 21:56

Check out the Border Town Burning supplement as well. They have a Hobgoblin hired sword and a Hobgoblin DP that comes with a horde.
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 23:35

Yeah, I've read over the BTB Special Characters, it is what gave me the inspiration. I like to keep it simple and if a player wants a magic user in this warband, they can always hire a Warlock.

Adding all the Mongolian names like Khan and Khan-Ur is good and all, but I'd let the player pick the names and titles of the members in the warband.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011 - 23:42

The wolves are the oddest bit. Wolf stats are pretty well established in Warhammer and Mordheim. What's a riding wolf?

Edit: they can't even hire other Hobgoblins? What about witches? Chaos gits?
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeMon 25 Apr 2011 - 3:38

Riding Wolves are in the Empire in Flames Rulebook.

And I guess you are right, I just used the Orcs and Goblin's distasteful company rule, I guess I have to change it.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeMon 25 Apr 2011 - 4:12

Murray145 wrote:
Riding Wolves are in the Empire in Flames Rulebook.
Doh! Not owning that book gets to be more of an embarrassment as the years go by. At the time I just picked it up, looked through it and thought that I had all the information in TC already. Embarassed

Murray145 wrote:
And I guess you are right, I just used the Orcs and Goblin's distasteful company rule, I guess I have to change it.

No worries, but I think you should. So many expansion warbands ignore the expansion Hired Swords (which are kind of endless, but so are the warbands).

Cianty has a list of HS in the resource section and werekin just did an article on them as well I believe.
Back to top Go down
Murray145
Veteran
Veteran
Murray145

Personal Info

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeMon 9 May 2011 - 9:09

Well I just played a Campaign with this warband and they did great and had a fun time playing them, I felt that first that Fire Raid and Hit and Run Special Skills would be a tiny bit OP but it ended being not that big of a deal.

Fire Raid is a useful skill but most of the time you don't get much out of burning buildings. I did manage to get a building with 3 Dwarf Thunderers in it but they all manage to survive it.

Hit and Run did save my Hobgoblin Big Boss on more than one occasion. When the two Troll Slayers closed in on him he manage to deal a single unsaved wound and take out a Troll Slayer, then hauled 10" out of there.

Another time I tried to Hit and Run and it didn't go as well, my Big Boss rolled 1's, so he only moved 2" and then was hit by one angry Troll Slayer. He was actually taken out of action by this assault and gained hatred of said Troll Slayer which is ends up killing in the last scenario of the campaign.
Back to top Go down
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
Veteran
Veteran
Dwalthrim_Grimsson

Personal Info

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jan 2014 - 11:15

For a forum order I will not to be assumed new topic.
I hope it's correct choice.  Sir, yes sir! 

I would try on to create my first warband to BTB.
I decided on Hobgoblin_Horde -create by StyrofoamKing Wink
This will be my first game using "greenskin warband" at all.
Have You got any suggestions for tactics and equipment for first game?

All advices & suggestions from Hobgobo-players and  BTB experienced players are very welcome  Smile  cheers
Back to top Go down
http://debowatarcza.vot.pl/
DicLombardi
Veteran
Veteran
DicLombardi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jan 2014 - 13:52

I'm playing Hobogoblin Wolf Boyz in a Btb campaign at the moment! I got mine from that big compiled mordheim book (that causes my group no end of headaches with its "rules") with the shaman and stuff. we modded it a bit so the wolves are both attack wolves and riding wolves, when I get off them they can still attack and more on their own. We thought it might be over powered but so far it's been alright, I'm actually almost coming last haha but they are really fun with some good skills. My objective is "Scourge of the Steppes" fighting Lure instead of Scion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hobgoblin Warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hobgoblin Warband   Hobgoblin Warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hobgoblin Warband
Page 1 of 1