Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

A real man of the north...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Foxphoenix135

Foxphoenix135

Trading Reputation : 0

A real man of the north... Empty
PostSubject: A real man of the north...   A real man of the north... Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 9:51

Hello all... I'm new obviously, and just wanted to pop in and give you all a taste of my painting style. Here is the youn Jarl for my fledgling Norse warband, for your approval:

A real man of the north... 6b79daef

A real man of the north... 9915972f

A real man of the north... A34b4a53

I'm an Alaskan resident, so Norsemen seemed to be a natural choice. I'll post more to the gallery as they get finished, but I would appreciate any feedback (read: ego-stroking and other forms of praise) anybody had for me!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: A real man of the north...   A real man of the north... Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 13:18

That is a FINE way of introducing yourself. SO...WELCOME ABOARD Fearless Leader Tom's Sleep Yet Inspirational Nonetheless Mordheim Forum. May your stay be LONG & MERRY! cheers
Back to top Go down
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
BalrogTheBuff

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: A real man of the north...   A real man of the north... Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 19:01

Excellent use of shading! I wish I could get hair to look like your painting! How did you do that cape's red? It looks great.
Back to top Go down
Foxphoenix135

Foxphoenix135

PostSubject: Re: A real man of the north...   A real man of the north... Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 19:41

I appreciate the compliments!

For the red cape, it can't get much easier, as I skipped the highlighting:

1. Prime in gray (I always do this, as I find black primers to be too dark, while white takes away natural shading)
2. Mechrite Red (Citadel foundation paint, great coverage with little more than a wet brush)
3. A liberal coat of Devlan Mud wash, a brown wash that really deepens red colors and makes them richer.

The hair was a bit more involved:

1. Primed gray (as above)
2. Basecoated in a Vallejo paint that I cannot determine the name of anymore, though I think it was called "Bestial Brown".
3. Followed with a medium drybrush of Vellejo's "Desert Yellow". It is a yellow that has a slight blue tinge, giving it an ever-so-slight greenish hue. I use it often when attempting to replicate darker blonde colors.
4. Finish with a LIGHT drybrush of Citadel's Bleached Bone paint. A paint I have found to be very close is FolkArt's "Buttercream", for a cheap substitute. (I found it for a dollar in my local walmart.)

The metal plates are easy too, here's a great way to get the worn look:
1. Primed gray
2. Basecoat in the GW metallic "Tin Bitz"
3. Stipple on GW metallic "Mithril Silver", being sure to add extra to sharp edges for a clean line.
4. (optional) if you want a REALLY worn look, go over the metal with Devlan Mud wash. Badab Black works too, but not quite as well.

Skin is kept simple:
1. Primed gray
2. Basecoated in Vallejo's "Elf Flesh" (I think, the name wore off the bottle long ago)
3. washed with GW's "Ogryn Flesh"
4. Drybrushed lightly with original basecoat color.

There, that's all my tricks. Next I might finish highlighting the cape and furs, but I really want to get him based first.

Since he is a norseman, I will dabble with adding snow to his base (I have read about baking powder being used, but never tried it.) Anybody got any tricks?
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: A real man of the north...   A real man of the north... Icon_minitimeFri 15 Apr 2011 - 23:44

He looks sharp!

Welcome to the forum, Foxphoenix135.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A real man of the north...   A real man of the north... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A real man of the north...
Page 1 of 1