Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...

Go down 
+9
geekgirl
Svenn
Captain Bernhardt
Grimscull
Ordo Septenarius
Pirexian
Identity
DeafNala
cornelius
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cornelius
Champion
Champion
cornelius

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Empty
PostSubject: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 1:05

After finally posting pics of some of my models I thought I'd share some of my scenery with the board. A couple of years ago I got my hands on the Pegasus city ruins kit and thought it would be cool to chop it up and make a ruined temple like the one in the Mordheim rulebook and battle reports. What do you think?
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Mordhe20[/img]

The doorway in more detail, I had to scratchbuild the arch from plastic card, easier said than done. [img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Mordhe21[/img]

View through the doorway, showing the bas relief style altar carvings.
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Mordhe22[/img]

And two more views from above
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Mordhe23[/img]
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Mordhe24[/img]

I'll post pics of some others later.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 1:27

VERY COOL! The pointed arches give it a Gothic & rather elegant feel. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 8:29

Amazing, amazing, amazing! I woudl love to play on this thing any day. I really like all the rubble you've added. My group's Mordheim terrain has lots of ruined buildings, but we tend to forget the rubble, making things look a lot less realistic.

I guess if I could critique anything, I'd say your floors are a bit too pristine? Kinda looks like some confused zombie found a broom and swept the place. It's probably because of the vibrant colors of the floor tiles stand out so much.

I'm still super-impressed though. Very jealous.
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 16:09

WOW... indeed, the ruble makes this amazing building look even better. If you don't tell me that you scratch built the arch I would never have noticed.. awesome piece.
Back to top Go down
cornelius
Champion
Champion
cornelius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 19:34

Thanks for the feedback guys. Identity, youre right, the paint I used was cheap rubbish and when I inked it the paint went back to liquid. I'm thinking of giving it a spray with matt varnish and then shading and highlighting it again without the colour lifting. Suffice to say the red paint went in the bin Very Happy . Alternatively I might lightly stipple some grey, black and brown in patches to give it a dirty, dusty look. I always end up with too neat an effect on my ruins, pondering a few new techniques to dirty things down without making it look lke a messy paint job, which is a lot harder than it sounds. Advice from others is always welcome.
Back to top Go down
cornelius
Champion
Champion
cornelius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 20:32

Ok, time for the next batch of pics. Another piece copied from the GW stuff, this one took months upon months and my housemates thought I had OCD from the amount of time and effort I lavished on it. The end result was worth the effort though.
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 26610[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 26710[/img]
monsters under the stairs....
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 26810[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 27010[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 27110[/img]
I'll post the rear views later.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 20:52

You're right...the time & effort were WELL SPENT! Somehow a grouping of buildings is much more appealing than they would be as individual structures. You've created a lovely scene that, no matter how many times it's viewed, will yield some new little detail. A FINE PIECE OF WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 5 Jan 2011 - 22:42

It's called "gestalt," Deafnala ^_^

This is some really awesome work! Amazing stuff!
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeThu 6 Jan 2011 - 0:27

Gestalt is german for shape, form, frame, guise or appearance. So what's called Gestalt up there? ;-)
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeThu 6 Jan 2011 - 5:29

That circular tower with the rickety wood staircase is my favorite piece from the rulebook's scenery! I've always admired it greatly and you've recreated it in a way which seems to make it even better. Well done.
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeThu 6 Jan 2011 - 11:36

Really cool scenery! I will anxiously be watching this thread for updates!
the group of buildings is very nice!
the temple is also a very cool piece but the colours look to clean in my opinion. The walls could use some dirt to. great job on that scratch build arch!
Back to top Go down
cornelius
Champion
Champion
cornelius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeThu 6 Jan 2011 - 17:17

Okay, rear views of the same piece. Apart from barrels, Rippers under the stairs and gargoyles on the third building the entire piece was scratchbuilt. At the time I was skint and poverty has a remarkably positive effect on creativity I've found.
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 27210[/img]
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 27310[/img]
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 27410[/img]
The comet weather vane on the floor of the last building slots into the top of the tower, but has to be removed for storage and I forgot to replace it for the pictures. Also, here's a couple of a crashed stagecoach, also largely scratchbuilt from balsa and card.

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Mordhe18[/img]
[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Mordhe19[/img]
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeThu 6 Jan 2011 - 20:16

I can definitely/unfortunately identify with poverty as a creativity/motivating factor...probably why artists are always depicted as starving to death in freezing garrets. Suspect
That aside the rear view has a more bombed out feel to it than the front. I had spotted the ripper under the stairs when first I wander through the photos, but I had to go back to confirm his/hers/its presence...nice touch & it gave me an idea what to do with those cool little Rackham Pests of the Flesh I have whining for paint. The scratch built Coach looks better than the G.W. version. All VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeFri 7 Jan 2011 - 15:32

I love your pieces! The crashed stagecoach is great. It's all the little things like this that really make a Mordheim board come to life for me.

I'm also a big fan of the temple. I love the look of ruined churches or gothic architecture. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
geekgirl
Champion
Champion
geekgirl

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeSun 13 Feb 2011 - 22:22

I LOVE that ruined temple... looks amazing! Nice work! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeFri 8 Apr 2011 - 11:01

Hey, I'e been pouring over this thread for a while, I just keep comming back to it. I absolutely LOVE the temple. Are the bas relief style altar carvings from mighty empires? They are a good idea.
The coach is top notch too.
You must have a super looking table. Any more pics?
Back to top Go down
cornelius
Champion
Champion
cornelius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011 - 0:45

Yep, they're old Mighty Empires stands sawn in half (bitch of a job with the metal skeleton stand). I had them kicking around for years with the intention of using them this way and the temple was finally the opportunity to do it. I have a few pieces on the go at the mo, but work is a nightmare and I just don't have the time spare to finish them. When I do I'll get some pics on here. Real life sucks!
Back to top Go down
cornelius
Champion
Champion
cornelius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 2:32

OK, finally have the chance to post a couple more pics. Firstly a statue I made years ago, in fact it may have been the first piece of Mordheim scenery I ever made, the podium was mainly different thicknesses of plasticard and crests and shields from the Empire knights plastics.

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 29111[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 29210[/img]

Next a tudor style house, I'm still not sure whether to add a shattered bit of roof to either end or leave it as it is. It also suffers from looking a bit too clean, I may have to go back and weather it at some point.

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 27510[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 27710[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... 27810[/img]
Back to top Go down
Eric
Hero
Hero
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 5:01

I think a shattered/dilapidated roof would solve your "too clean" problem, Cornelius!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 11:45

NICE ADDITIONS! While I'm not normally all that big a fan of statuary, the statue looks TERRIFIC...the pedestal is BEAUTIFULLY done. The building is GREAT; I agree with that a bit of roofing perhaps with Eric; i.e., some scattering of shingles & debris on the interior would add to the blown up look. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jun 2011 - 13:35

Nive to see it is going on. I hadn't seen the destroyed stage coach the last time, very nice piece! And I'm pro weathering and shattered roof thumbsup
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun 2011 - 0:44

Great job on all of your pieces , well done!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
cornelius
Champion
Champion
cornelius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun 2011 - 14:24

Okay, having three days off for the first time in ages I've had a bit of a splurge posting new pics of my scenery and models after an absence of months (some may have noticed!). These ruins have been kicking around half painted for ages so I decided to get them finished (about one hour ago actually) and here are the results. Also, I've been playing around with lighting techniques so hopefully the images are pretty close to the pieces themselves and based on the responses to my earlier pieces I've been experimenting with weathering and think I'm getting there.

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Sam_0610[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Sam_0611[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Sam_0612[/img]

Next up a couple of pics of a mine I originally made as Dwarf terrain for Warhammer but am now planning to use as a warpstone mine for one of the Town Cryer scenarios. I'd quite like to make a winch tower to accompany it at some point, I think it would look cool in wood maybe with a steam powered winch.

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Sam_0613[/img]

[img]Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Sam_0614[/img]
Let me know what you think Smile
Back to top Go down
Ordo Septenarius
Warlord
Warlord
Ordo Septenarius

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun 2011 - 17:02

I love the dwarven mining pieces. Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jun 2011 - 12:46

VERY NICE WORK! There was a "how-to" article in White Dwarf a long time ago that explained the construction of a similar Dwarven mine...of course your is cooler. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...   Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cornelius' Mordheim scenery so far...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next