Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog

Go down 
+13
Thomas UK
SeiFeR-NL
cianty
Boreas_NL
mweaver
Kapitan_Hak
WarbossKurgan
SiliconSicilian
Von Kurst
DeafNala
Skavenblight
vampirekhaine
Kaptain BlackSquig
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010 - 6:59

Those are some mightly fine cliffs. Looking forward to watching the progress on this one.

I also love the waterfall idea. I frequent different train sites, but haven't managed to see this one before. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 21 May 2010 - 15:02

Quote :
I also love the waterfall idea. I frequent different train sites, but haven't managed to see this one before. Thanks for sharing.
No worries, I looked at alot of sights too and I really like the simplicity yet cool effect!

If all goes according to plan, I will have the basics done this weekend. I have fast drying drywall mud to fill in the gaps so it can be sanded same day. My plan is to start early and apply the mud. While it is drying I will start forming the waterfall. Once the mud is dry I can sand and shape. Painting on a base coat of earthtone will be next. While paint is drying I will finish shaping and painting the rocks in the gorge. Then its fun time!

Attach the waterfall and then dam up the edges of the gorge and the front and back of the upper river. Once done there I add some green and blue inks to the water effect and pour it on in. While it is drying over the waterfall, it is my hope that it will aide in securing the waterfall, since it will be encased in the water effect!

Then I go back on Sunday, highlight the rocks and such, add jungle grasses to the top and sides of the gorge, add some plants, bird droppings and other details.

If there is time I will do the bridge but if not I will surely have it done next week! Then it is ready for play!

I wont need it for several weeks but at least it will be done! The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_cheers

Da Kaptain The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 509466
Back to top Go down
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010 - 18:41

Afternoon gents,
I wanted to drop a post here and ask my fisrt advice question! During the work I have been doing over this past week, I have started to doubt my original plan.

I was going to go with the very cliche' jungle rope bridge but as time wears on and I am working on the walls of the chasm, I had a thought. A rare thing to be sure, like a Chaos Dwarf player or Clippers fan, but I did nonetheless! The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Instead of a rope bridge, what about a ruined stone bridge made by the Lizardmen millenia ago. It would be a wide expanse with suppots going down into the river below. Several sections have maybe collapsed, with their debris and ruined supports piled in the water below.

This allows for a different type of obstacle as the bridge can be unstable will offering craggy rocks to cross upon below the bridge. Two forms of crossing, heck I could throw in a third with some swinging vines below the bridge! But I am kinda on the fence now, the rope bridge is easier to do but a carved stone bridge, now that might look alot better.

What do you all think?

Last edited by Kaptain BlackSquig on Thu 27 May 2010 - 16:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010 - 19:06

I would definitly go for the stone bridge! in my mind it looks so much better! and you could make a platform between two supports, and allow models to climb from the bottom of the valley up to the bridge along one of the supports
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010 - 19:54

Sounds fun.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Arathorn
Captain
Captain
Arathorn

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010 - 20:38

This is a great looking project! I'll surely follow your progress. Btw, I'm really interested in those squigs and the goblin, got any more pictures of those and a story?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010 - 21:07

The Bridge--Funny you should say that Kaptain. Ol' Playtable has been slaving away for months to span the Snake River with a stone bridge or 2 as well. That way we have both...

Just sayin' Both types of bridge are fun.

Things to ponder.
--A single span rope bridge is a death trap. I think that's the strength of GWs design for the Snake River. The bridge is broken up into sections so the missile gauntlet is easier to run and you can establish a mid-crossing fire base to support the final assault.

--I have a single span stone bridge that's 2'-0" long and 6" wide. With scattered rubble it's easier to cross under fire. The addition of support towers and other structure would give it more tactical interest. Hmmm.

--You could combine the 2. A ruined stone bridge with a rope bridge (or 2) spanning a gap.
Back to top Go down
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010 - 4:25

Arathorn wrote:
This is a great looking project! I'll surely follow your progress. Btw, I'm really interested in those squigs and the goblin, got any more pictures of those and a story?

Hey Arathorn
I can certainly take more pics of them. I have a story about how they came about, I will see about putting it down in print! The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Quote :
I would definitly go for the stone bridge! in my mind it looks so much better! and you could make a platform between two supports, and allow models to climb from the bottom of the valley up to the bridge along one of the supports

I think I am pretty much sold on the stone bridge as well, though I might add a rope bridge between the ruined prtions or something, at Kurst's suggestion. I think they could be a neat little addition. There will be plenty of rubble for crossing below the bridge as well, assuming players make the climb down from above!

With the holiday weekend coming soon to the USA, I am looking at getting a full day in with finsihing off the cliffs and starting work on the bridge. More to follow.

Back to top Go down
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010 - 17:12

Greetings from the Jungles Gents!
Been working hard on the project here and should have some new pics soon. What I wanted to see is what you all thought of this idea for the bridge. It is eerie in that the surrounding foliage and split waterfall is how I envision the final ravine looking:

The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 COD5-banzai2_screenshot_600

I know I was considering doing an ancient Slann bridge but the more I looked at it, I realized the open bridge did not afford much cover when crossing. So I thought how about a newer bridge being built to cross the ravine and maybe coming under attack by the local natives? Of course there would not be a truck on it! But you get the idea. And there are plenty of places that offer cover as models attempt to cross.

Last edited by Kaptain BlackSquig on Thu 25 Apr 2013 - 3:55; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010 - 20:20

Cool bridge! In the end its a question of which style appeals to you. A ruined stone bridge with rope walkways does not need to be 'open'. It could have ruined or intact stone towers and plinths, hoardings, collapsed towers that partially block the bridge... All kinds of stuff.

And if its ruined stone it could have jungle growing ON it. Jorisch's sketch is giving me ideas.
Back to top Go down
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010 - 4:29

Kurst
I am definetly leaning toward the "human" bridge under construction. One thing I am going to consider is making the bridge removable, and make a second "lizardman" version of the bridge. However making them removable could be an issue but I am pondering ways to make them interchangable!

Da Kaptain The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010 - 4:56

Either one would be cool. Playtable drove himself to distraction trying to fit 2 different kinds of bridge into the Snake River table, but he added the second after the rope bridge was finished.

Playtable made the rope bridge removable from the beginning because all our terrain has to travel, so that made it easier.

I'm thinking that we will have to drag the Snake R out and give it a go soon, we haven't messed with it for almost a year...
Back to top Go down
Sultan
Champion
Champion
Sultan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010 - 7:52

Captain

It`s huge!!!! Realy nice even on the start. I can not imagine how great it will look when finished. Love the all orcs.

Salute
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 1 Aug 2010 - 21:54

I know that bridge!

Cool find, you should be albe to replicate that (easily!)...
Back to top Go down
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain BlackSquig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 2 Aug 2010 - 15:15

OK
Yes I am bouncing back and forth on a bridge design! They say that the best idea is the first idea and I started reading too much into how I wanted the bridge to PLAY vs. LOOK. In the end I was moving towards giving more cover, etc and got away from what I had in my mind when I started the project. Saying that, I am going to revert back to my original concept, which is similiar to this:

The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 0220br1a

Of course the bridge will be a bit ruined, one of the supports likely tumbled down as suggested. But I am going to cram alot more foilage into the ravine, and offer more rocks on the ravine floor. The bridge itself will have high enough rails to provide side cover, only the center itself will be open and vulnerable. There will be plenty of options for crossing over though, from the bridge, to the river, to maybe even a few swinging vines, we'll see as things progress.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 2 Aug 2010 - 23:44

Nice. Love the research photo. Jungle growing on the ruin, vines for some swashbuckling--sounds great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog   The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Grudge of Sheer: Lustrian Terrain Blog
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2