Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Ogres and Bases?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 1:35

While digging through my old issues of White Dwarf and traveling back in to time to when Mordheim was young (even embryonic...). I saw John-Paul Brisgotti's Marienburgers and noticed that his ogre hired sword was mounted on a 25mm base.

It would make the model easier to move around AND the current plastic ogres fit quite nicely on a 25 mm base.

How would you feel about it?
Back to top Go down
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 2:17

Back to top Go down
http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 10:19

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/mordheim-resources-f20/what-bases-to-use-for-my-mordheim-figures-t1834.htm

The usual pros and cons apply. Result: Talk about it with your gaming group and everything's cool. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 15:05

cianty wrote:
Using smaller bases than normal, on the other hand, will be considered cheating most of the time, because less enemy models can be placed in base contact and the model can "navigate" more easily through the ruins of the damned city with the smaller base.

Hmm...

Thanks for the links - I'll have to consider all of this!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 15:10

In the end it all should come down to what you like best and if it is okay with your gaming group. Not much point in us saying: "yeah, that's cool. Go 25mm" and then your friends say "screw you, you just want us to not be able to place as many warriors in base contact"...
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 17:12

cianty wrote:
In the end it all should come down to what you like best and if it is okay with your gaming group. Not much point in us saying: "yeah, that's cool. Go 25mm" and then your friends say "screw you, you just want us to not be able to place as many warriors in base contact"...

I agree here, but I have also seen 40 mm bases being too powerful given the opportunity to charge 2 models at once that were just a little too close togetter. Ogres have minimum 3 attacks and can easily take out both models.

Like cianty said, talk it over with the group. Both are legally acceptable within Mordheim. My rat ogre has a wide stance so there is no way he is going to 25 mm but my group prefers any model with the large rule to be on a 40 mm base, anyway. Likewise, Asp's rat ogre looks great on a 25 mm base. There is flexibility.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/siliconsicilian/sets/72157623710783
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 17:29

I'm actually working on making and painting all of the hired swords in the core rules (and will move on to others when I finish with these). The idea behind the project was to have one of each on hand should anyone want to hire one - so there's a good chance I won't be the only one using this model!

And all points made are good ones - I think I'll probably go with the 25mm base simply because anything bigger just seems impractical and I don't think anyone will mind that only 8 models will be able to fight the ogre rather than 12 (and I've never seen a single model that outnumbered before, so I think we'll be safe).

Thank you for your feedback and sorry I missed the previous thread on basing!
Back to top Go down
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 17:40

CygnusMaximus wrote:
I'm actually working on making and painting all of the hired swords in the core rules (and will move on to others when I finish with these). The idea behind the project was to have one of each on hand should anyone want to hire one - so there's a good chance I won't be the only one using this model!

And all points made are good ones - I think I'll probably go with the 25mm base simply because anything bigger just seems impractical and I don't think anyone will mind that only 8 models will be able to fight the ogre rather than 12 (and I've never seen a single model that outnumbered before, so I think we'll be safe).

Thank you for your feedback and sorry I missed the previous thread on basing!

I like the idea of having a set of hired swords. My group is all making their own but discussing with each other and the borrowing of minis between us is not at all uncommon. Plus, we almost always game at the same location, so they can be put on a shelf for anyone to take. I have already lent a halfling cook, troll slayer, pit fighter, and ogre merc to the mix.

However, my Skaven warband has all been fluffed with Skaven-race hired sword models in mind (not that there are a lot of hired swords that will work for them) and I have already made a Skaven Warlock and Skaven Witch. They obey the same rules as their human counterparts (different stats because of their specialization, I conclude) but they just seem to fit in better as rats.

I will continue to throw any other models I have into the hired sword / dramatis personnae mix, however. Discussions like this are where great ideas are bred. This also reminds me, I have both a Truthsayer and Dark Emissary which are communal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/siliconsicilian/sets/72157623710783
Sponsored content

Ogres and Bases? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ogres and Bases?   Ogres and Bases? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ogres and Bases?
Page 1 of 1