Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.

Go down 
+12
Mordheimer
Nastyogre
Dmig
Your Mum's Warband
Splendor
No Time
Jorisch
Figgy
mweaver
DeafNala
lord siwoc
Zujara
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010 - 15:12

@Cian Shieldbiter: our own AlexBware has a nice little tutorial here: https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/tutorials-f18/tutorial-using-fanatic-army-painter-t753.htm .
Back to top Go down
Cian Shieldbiter
Knight
Knight
Cian Shieldbiter

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010 - 15:43

Cheers dude
I'm gonna try woodstain/poly varnish on a beastman asap (could be weeks)

Cian Shieldbiter
Back to top Go down
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010 - 20:34

Back to top Go down
Zujara
Champion
Champion
Zujara

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb 2010 - 21:15

DeafNala: Thanks I love that guy too! I was going to use him as my Noble but since the group wanted to make armour more effective, I decided to try a super armoured dwarf and see how much he can take on! Next campaign that guy will be the boss again!

Mordheimer: Thanks for the before and after shot, and I wish I could shade that well with dipping! Maybe someday if I play with it enough!

Cian Shieldbiter: The guide linked is pretty much what I do, except I don't spin the minis with a drill I shake them off then clean them with qtips. The drill idea sounds worth pursuing though, I may try that out if I can find a place to.

I haven't tried out the Army Painter linked, mostly due to cost, so I have no idea how it is to use. I have heard good things though. If you use it I would love to hear what you think of it!

Mithras: Awesome links, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Splendor
Warrior
Warrior
Splendor

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2010 - 9:14

@Mordheimer: your discussion on my strong statement got me thinking. Dipping is not painting is quite a strong statement as is and the remark on Zuraja painting his miniatures very well before dipping, got me to the following.

Why, if you are a good painter (and I think Zuraja has shown in some more posts of before and after dipping) do you want to use dipping? The dwarf Zuraja shown that was entirely "painted" is great. The only reason I can come up with is speed. Also Mordheimer's post on this subject is directing towards speed. I strongly agree with the fact that playing with all painted miniatures is the best (in our group I always remark on this as my fellow players will know). In that perspective dipping "can be allowed" for the not so good painters and maybe even for the lazy painters (however they should just pick up a brush and paint!).
If at some point you CAN paint however, why start dipping (aside from the speed issue, but I don't really agree with that being a reason)?

I think we can then come to a discussion on the categories of miniature collectors/gamers/painters: either you collect as a main goal, either you paint as main goal or either you play your game (tactics) as a main goal. Of coarse there are exceptions to this rule, but a lot of people can be categorized in one of these 3 categories.
Back to top Go down
http://somegamers.blogspot.com
Zujara
Champion
Champion
Zujara

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb 2010 - 19:39

My main reason is money. I have everything I need to dip from a previous project of redoing the stairs here, but my paint supply is very, very low and I only have a few good brushes left. The last month has seen me spend about $3000 on a wedding and then $8000 in legal and immigration fees to get my wife able to live with me here. I simply can't afford any luxuries like new paints and brushes right now, and this is an easy way for me to at least have a presentable warband.

Speed is a factor too since I am in school full time and working. Speaking of I should have some more stuff soon after midterms are done, then I am heading on vacation a week. Her family has been very supportive so got me plane tickets to visit her while the paperwork processes.
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Feb 2010 - 14:54

Mordheimer wrote:
While dipped models will never win a Golden Tom

Why wouldn't they be able to win a golden tom? ' dipping' has such a negative loadout, its more like applying a shade varnish that can be used in various ways. I believe the shaded varnish is an addition to all the traditional painting techniques. It requires practice, just like highlighting, washing (washing is a form of dipping imho) and can have various outcomes. So I think it would be too harsh to say someone who can use varnish to their advantage (like glossy varnish is used to simulate wet stuff) can't compete in golden tom.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 22 Feb 2010 - 17:13

Paluke: I have NOTHING against dipping... as a matter of fact, I'm a Champion for its use. If you use dipping as intended (3 basic colors, dip & seal) you will get a very good looking model. You could go 'advanced' with it and use shades and highlights before dipping, and you will get a better model.

Sure you could enter a dipped model to ANY competition... I do not know is many people could actually dip a model, and honestly say is better looking than a similar model painted by Cianty or DeafNala (for example) who do have a massive amount of talent and dominate most of the techniques. Sure it can be done... maybe it would be statistically easier than me turning the radio and capturing an extra-terrestrial conversation, but it is really hard. It would be the same as saying that you could win ANY painting competition using just ONE technique, like just dry-brushing or inking.

Do not confuse my comment regarding using the basic technique of dipping (that by itself produces an awesome model) with manipulating the technique and combining it with others (which I also mentioned). If you just dri-brush a model, you could be 99% sure that you could not win a Golden Tom. With just dipping (especially if you have not seen other people's work) you could be tricked into thinking you have a chance... then you see works that combine multiple techniques and see the difference.

Making a great piece is about combining different techniques and color palettes to create the great illusion is miniature painting. Dipping is the most basic, easiest and fun technique I have ever seen that (by itself) can produce models that ANYONE could feel proud of... and it is THE perfect medium to help non-painters enjoy our hobby.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
Zujara
Champion
Champion
Zujara

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 2:57

Would like to apologize for the lack of updates, my grandfather passed away shortly after my last post and then a few days later I came down with mono and some opportunistic infections and have been out of action until just recently. I am out of town right now but I have a Duelist and Ogre Bodyguard drying, so when I get home sometime next week I will resume regular updates!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 11:12

My deepest condolences on your loss; my own Grandfather was such an important part of my childhood. AND, I also had mono rather later in life than is normal...it took FOREVER to get my energy back. SO...I can identify. Be well, I, for one, am looking forward to more of your WONDERFUL Dwarves. Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Fresse
Back to top Go down
ducat
Youngblood
Youngblood
ducat

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 29 Apr 2010 - 0:30

A very nicely done army in the offing here congrats.

Interesting with the dipping talk, as a much similar effect comes with the gw washes. I painted a batch of 8 skaven up using a drybrush then wash technique in about 1 hr total including undercoating by hand. (it would of been faster but you do have to wait for paint to dry sometimes lol) I will try to get a piccy sometime soon, but the effect is much the same although with a lot less shine than the dips. I ended up with the best painted skaven I have managed after about 15 years of trying to get the plastics to look good. God bless Devlan Mud....
Back to top Go down
Zujara
Champion
Champion
Zujara

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010 - 23:49

Thanks! Still recovering from mono, this is just ridiculous how long it's taking.. I haven't gotten any Dwarfs done since my friends are doing an escalation league this summer for the new edition of Fantasy.

I have however been experimenting with dipping some for greenskins, doing highlights and such before putting them in. Here's what my efforts yielded:

Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Nightgobs14

The netters aren't done and the bases need some decorating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.   Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dwarfs going for a dip! Now with some greenskins.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2