Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Mixing Mordheim and PnP?

Go down 
+3
Von Kurst
Da Bank
Svenn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Empty
PostSubject: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov 2009 - 15:32

I've heard people mention that they play Mordheim with a storyline. Has anyone here tried using PnP rules with Mordheim to play out the battles? A friend and I were thinking of starting up a pen and paper roleplaying game, using the Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing rules, and then fighting the battles using all of the Mordheim rules. I was just curious who else might be doing this and if anyone had any suggestions on how to work it all.

Also, on an unrelated note you might have noticed that I was absent for a while. I was moving into an apartment with my girlfriend and was super busy. Now that I'm moved I have free time again. :-D Of course, I have less space so it's harder to do tabletop stuff now. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov 2009 - 16:01

Forgive me, what is PNP?
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov 2009 - 16:04

Sorry, Pen and Paper.

The idea is that you'd play a Dungeons and Dragons style campaign (except using the Warhammer pen and paper game rules) and when you reached any combat parts, you set those up to reflect the battle you are depicting from the pen and paper game and play it out with Mordheim rules. The outcome of that battle is then essentially transferred back to the pen and paper game.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov 2009 - 16:07

LOL--Beat me to it Bank! Make that 2 queries.

Otherwise welcome back Svenn!

In answer to your question not to my knowledge, since I'm not sure what you are asking...
Oh! still no.
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov 2009 - 17:18

I had an Idea of making a kind of heroes quest thing – almost like roleplaying, for +3 players where 1 person is a game master and the other have one hero each, co-oping against the game master who controls different enemies in different scenarios. Did that make any sense?
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov 2009 - 17:19

Popmouth wrote:
I had an Idea of making a kind of heroes quest thing – almost like roleplaying, for +3 players where 1 person is a game master and the other have one hero each, co-oping against the game master who controls different enemies in different scenarios. Did that make any sense?

Yes, that's pretty much what we're doing. In fact, I think the Warhammer Fantasy pen and paper game is essentially a more advanced version of Hero's Quest (which is awesome btw, I still have my copy). We'll have no table for some stuff and simply do roleplaying a la Dungeons and Dragons, but whenever a fight breaks out we set up the terrain with our minis and use Mordheim rules to play out the battle. Smile
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeTue 3 Nov 2009 - 19:52

I've never played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but are the combat rules in that game insufficient? It seems like it might get tricky trying to mash two different game systems together - one for combat and one for roleplaying. I think what I would be tempted to do if you're set on using Mordhiem rules for combat would be to just freeform roleplay, and when a combat situation arises you can set up the battlefield.

You'd have to get a little loose with the rules, since people are going to want to do things in a pen and paper roleplaying game that they can't really do in Mordheim. I would also change injuries - get rid of knocked down/stunned/OoA altogether. I would instead say that each wound is worth a certain number of hit dice, and then melee damage is caused based on the strength of the attack.
Back to top Go down
Ghod
Hero
Hero
Ghod

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeWed 4 Nov 2009 - 13:16

Well I played my first session of WFRP last night so I might be able to help...

The problem I can see with using Mordheim for the combat is that I think it would be too easy to win.

Now I'm sure it was just our bad dice rolling and loose grip on the rules, but combat in WFRP is pretty brutal.

We were only doing the 'through the drakwald' in the main rulebook and had four player characters going up against 4 mutants, but even that was pretty hard & I'm glad the town watch turned up when they did. two of our guys were all but dead, one was rather tasty in combat but the other didnt hit anything.

But the struggle of winning even a straight forward skirmish like that was rewarding. I just think that had we fought the battle using Mordheim rules, then it wouldnt have been such a close run thing.

We wanted to use minatures too represent things as well and so came up with a plan...

An A3 cutting matt became the map, square for square, we then used small tokens to show the 'actual' posistions of things but placed our selected models behind the markers as a 'visulisation aid.'

It worked out pretty well, it was our first time doing any kind of Role playing game & the visual representations helped us figure out what was going on...

Now I'm not really sure if I answered your question tbh or have just rambled on a bit Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_scratch but I hope it makes some sense.

To sum up:

- Use the WFRP combat rules
- Use a large gridded surface as your battle field
- Use models because models are nice things to look at

Mixing Mordheim and PnP? 544694
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitimeThu 5 Nov 2009 - 7:05

I think a mordheim PnP could be kinda neat. you could have similar minded warbands sort of unite to make a weird sort of mut warband. You could have your character be any hero from one warband, and have him accompanied by 1-5ish henchmen depending on what that henchmen is. Of course one person would have to be leader, or maybe you could do something where every character has leader, but one person has leader above all or something?(for purposes of taking rout checks) and one DM can take control of various different NPC warbands that the group runs into during their misadventures. Of course I'm not sure how you'd work out income, and probably making the injury table not so bad on the player characters (like making death multiple injuries or just a straight up re-roll?). And of course max war band size and recruiting. Who knows maybe just wait for warhammer WFRP to come out and have it take place in mordheim.Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_razz
AFK Mixing Mordheim and PnP? 31836 TEHZOMBIE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mixing Mordheim and PnP?   Mixing Mordheim and PnP? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mixing Mordheim and PnP?
Page 1 of 1