Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

rating each different warband for a beginner

Go down 
+2
FKSN
kormas
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kormas
Youngblood
Youngblood
kormas

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

rating each different warband for a beginner Empty
PostSubject: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 0:38

ok, i am reletivly new to mardheim. i played it a while ago using middenheimers, who's models i have now sold Crying or Very sad . and reacently i have decided to get back into the game because of a bit more intrest comming back at my local games club.

i realy cant decide what to get as my starting warband, so i have narrowed it down to a few different warbands and was wondering how people rate each one for a beginner.

1: mercs-i was thinking of going either marienburg or middenheim again, but as far as i can tell there is no actualy warband box for them, i would have to for out $91 so i could get the empire free company box and the empire archers box. eeexcellent!

2: pit fighters, i have 2 of the warband sets for these guys but i am not sure if they are a good choice for a beginner. also, do people think that it is possable to convert these guys into mercs Question

3: witch hunters, i was thinking along the lines of using the flagglent (sorry for my horrable spelling lol! )box set combined with a few metals.

4: the experimental rules for night goblins, but i am thinking that it might not be a good idea to start off with an experimental warband.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated sunny
Back to top Go down
FKSN
Warlord
Warlord
FKSN

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 2:14

Basically, go for something you think is cool!
I don't know of any warband that's so weird that a new player couldn't get them to work.

I don't know what kind of dollars you need $91 of to get a box of free company and a box of archers, but if your local alternatives are gutting you, check out http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/ - free postage worldwide!
Back to top Go down
hysteria75
Hero
Hero
hysteria75

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 2:49

i agree. go with the models you like best

but...............
any militia from the main book are quite well rounded and can do most of everything (and cheap plastic)

skaven are awesome but you need to use the terrain alot more to be really effective (stack the table with as much as you can) but are still pretty forgiving (and cheap plastic)

actually all warbands in the main book arnt to bad and are well rounded and would depend on your play style.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 3:14

Marienburg and Middenheim:
The Militia box contains the same models as the old Mordheim box set did just with a different name and different packaging. You don't get the 'hairy head' sprue anymore which makes Middenheim more difficult to do.

Do you want the new archers box set because its cool or because you want bows in your warband? Bows and crossbows still come on the sprues of the Militia set.

As for a starting warband, I am more the school of start with something you like, but also something that has been around awhile. The core warbands have everything there in the basic rule book and are obviously designed to work within the mechanics of the game. I see a lot of new players and I do think it pays to go with established rules when learning the game.
Back to top Go down
kormas
Youngblood
Youngblood
kormas

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 6:54

ok, i was unde the impression that you didnt get the bows and crossbowmen in the millita box?, if you still get them then... cheers

and yeah, i was under the impression that you actualy had to buy the archers to get bows Very Happy .

well, i am now leaning towards just doing a merc warband, mostly because they are cheep ad plastic geek
Back to top Go down
perfesser
Champion
Champion
perfesser

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 7:06

Here's what's in the Militia/Free Company box:

Sprue A - 4 sets of legs, 7 heads, 2 bows (left & right arms), 1 crossbow (left & right arms), 1 halbard (right arm)
Sprue B - 4 torsos, 3 swords (right arms), 1 club (right arm), 1 axe (right arm), 2 daggers (left arms), 1 crossbow (left & right arms), 1 blunderbuss (left & right arms), 1 twohanded sword (left & right arms), two pistols (one right handed, one left handed and two left arms without weapons.

AND you get 5 of each sprue! So you can make 20 warriors and have parts left over Smile. They are pretty nice sculpts as well (better than State Troops and Handgunners, that's for sure).

There are a couple things keeping the box from being perfect:
- There are no shields. You can buy shields at 8 for $4 from GW.
- Seven heads is good, but different hair color only goes so far. Get good at converting, trade with friends, order heads from a bits shop or learn to live with it.
- The box has a total of 5 clubs. Learn to make/scupt clubs (or be original and don't arm every model with two clubs!)
- The only left arm weapon for dual wielders are daggers and pistols. Again, a little coverting skill will go a long way.
Back to top Go down
kormas
Youngblood
Youngblood
kormas

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 7:47

wow, i am thinking that i will deffinatly get this box. shields arnt a problem mostly because i have plenty that are just lying around Very Happy. and i dont think i will just arm everyone with maces, i want to have a bit of flavour in my warband and we are all begginers so powergaming should be to bad (i hope)
Back to top Go down
kormas
Youngblood
Youngblood
kormas

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 8:07

FKSN thank you for pointing me to that site Very Happy, it is VERY good, and alot cheeper than what i have to pay (stupid australian stores
[/b] Crying or Very sad )
Back to top Go down
Ferrous82
Warrior
Warrior
Ferrous82

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 18:03

If you need shields or some of the original hairy heads/other misc equipment, let me know. I still have a number of the old bits left over as well as 5-7 of the original plastic mercs assembled.

I'd sell the mercs cheap and the heads/bits for little more than shipping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rating each different warband for a beginner   rating each different warband for a beginner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rating each different warband for a beginner
Page 1 of 1