Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

New Players' 1st "official" game

Go down 
+3
Von Kurst
cianty
black mantis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Chaos Dwarfs (BTB) Chaos Dwarfs (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

New Players' 1st "official" game Empty
PostSubject: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2009 - 18:55

Last night we played a game with some friends. We are all WFB vets and have tried a bit of Mordheim without any significant terrain - the games were mostly a boring race for wyrdstones.

My wifie and I made some serious terrain recently and were anxious to play using it so that we could take advantge of all the cool terrain based rules (eg initiative tests out the ying yang Laughing ) .

While this was an official game in that we counted the results and followd campaign rules, it was really our first game and we were trying out the rules and correcting ourselves as we went.

The warbands were:
1) Black Dwarf - Zzyzx's Warpstoners
2) Marauders
vs
3) Nightgoblins
4) Skavens
vs
5) Wood elfs
6) Lizards

Scenario: We played a modified wyrdstone search/skirimish scenario we made up to accomodate so many warbands. It seems most of the scenarios are not geared for so many Smile Perhaps that is why we finished at 2 in the morning!

Terrain setup: 4'x4' board with 4 buildings setup in a square configuration around a central 'woodland park' area interspersed with hills. Two of the buildings were 3 stories tall and 2 were 2 stories tall and connected by a broken bridge with a 3" gap. Wyrdstone shrines were placed on the top floors of each building and contained 2 wyrdstones each. The 3 'teams' deployed at corners of the table (save one) and basically it was a race for the wyrdstones through terrain while being plucked off by wood elf archers and skinks.

Black Dwarfs spent much time hiding and generally trying to avoid being arrow fodder while staying away from a nasty troll of the night goblins. Pretty slow so retrieval of the wyrdstones on the 3rd floor of the ruin adjacent to where we deployed was mostly left to Marauder Warband teammates - greater move distance. The Black Dwarf warband was so ill equipped (mostly only free daggers) that i really did not want to lose any heroes - success in that regard. Managed to kill a couple of verminkin armed very well and only lost one chaos dwarf in the battle (permanently lost since i rolled a 1 after the battle).

Marauders. Armed pretty crappily too. These guys only suffered one casualty (chaos hound - permanently lost too). While they did not inflict much damage, they managed to locate 1 wyrdstone (of 2 possible) after bricking a couple of rolls. Also managed to avoid being anywhere near the lizardmen's nasty Kroxigor and scraped by a few lucky assasination attempts from the wood elf snipers high in the safety of a 3rd story building. These guys suffered the fewest casualties (15 gc worth).

--

Terrain: we all really had a good time playing this game and became very emotionally concerned with the wellbeing of our warbands Shocked I must say that what really made the game fun was the terrain - even though our terrain is not completely done and lack finished details and paint etc, it was very exciting to be climbing up walls and falling down and jumping bridges, etc!

The one thing - we realize that this game was probably not meant for 6 warbands in 3 teams, but we are used to playing WFB megabattles with multiple teams of 2000 pts and there were several of us playing.'

It would be fun to have other alternatives multiple player scenarios for this game - i have to spend some time looking around to see if there are any that would work with so many warbands. I guess we could play individual games with 2 warbands or whatever but we generally like to all play at once.

Anyways, it was fun! Dad

Sir, yes sir!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2009 - 19:09

Nice little report! Glad to read you had a good time!

Playing with 6 players at the same time slows down the game a lot and can be somewhat tiring. It's great sometimes but I wouldn't use that as a usual constellation. But that is up to you.

Did you read the Chaos in the Streets article? It is an official article about playing multiplayer games and it includes new scenarios for 3+ warbands. It was published in some early Town Cryer and then republished in the Mordheim Annual. If you haven't read that already, have a look at it.

I hope you'll have some more fun games! Next time I demand you post some photos of your battle!
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2009 - 19:33

I second cianty!
Thanks for the report. Smile
Back to top Go down
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2009 - 21:02

New Players' 1st "official" game DSC_0436HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF GAME
Back to top Go down
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2009 - 21:05

New Players' 1st "official" game DSC_0412New Players' 1st "official" game DSC_0453New Players' 1st "official" game DSC_0447New Players' 1st "official" game DSC_0446New Players' 1st "official" game DSC_0445
Back to top Go down
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2009 - 21:15

aS You can see the terrain is unfinished as yet but a work in progress. Not pictured is my wife who was taking the photos (wood elfs). The 6 year old in the pic is my boy Ansel who played Skaven.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2009 - 21:24

Looks like a good time was had by all.
VERY COOL LOOKING gaming board; the WIP buildings look to have a LOT of potential.
Keep up the GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2009 - 21:27

Cool! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2009 - 21:32

Now I see the wisdom in playing in teams. Good choice for family and friends. The table looks great, as Deafnala says it has lots of potential both for game play and as finished products.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
rospil15
Youngblood
Youngblood
rospil15

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2009 - 0:13

The game did take a long time, but it was a lot of "learn as you go." The real fun part was climbing all over the buildings, especially the broken walkways where we had to jump. My lizardmen saw a lot of action, and they performed ok. The only tearful note was that my double club wielding saurus Tepoki was swarmed and hacked apart by a wave of smelly, disease-ridden skaven.
Back to top Go down
Joker2and53
Warlord
Warlord
Joker2and53

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeFri 7 Aug 2009 - 17:27

Looks like a great time! How long did you wait before getting your child involved in wargaming? Was this his first game?
Back to top Go down
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeFri 7 Aug 2009 - 20:12

Our 7 year old really took an interest in Warhammer Fantasy at about age 5 and has been collecting ever since - he now has over 2000 pts of tomb kings.

Most of our games do not include kids. The 7 and 5 year olds are usually quite content scampering about with the kids of our friends who do play. However, sometimes the 7 year old watches and he has recently taken a great interest in Mordheim. Most recently he burned through $45 dollars of money he'd saved to buy his Skaven warband.

Generally my wife and I encourage his interest in the game because it requires numbers, math, reading, etc. It is a funny think how interest impacts kids' ability to learn. Our 7 year old became a reading master almost over night when he began playing Warhammer Online at age 6. However, so as not to turn them completely into nerds, they also study Kung Fu!
Back to top Go down
rospil15
Youngblood
Youngblood
rospil15

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2009 - 7:20

My fourteen year old has been playing for a few years now. His interest in gaming coincided with better performance at school. He's been on the honor roll for the past five grading periods. Gaming is fun and it makes kids smarter. He has a reason for wanting to do mental math.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitimeSat 15 Aug 2009 - 2:46

Just out of curiosity, did you use my experimental Night Goblin warband list? If not i encourage you to try it. *coughshamlessplugcough* Check the rules section of this forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Players' 1st "official" game   New Players' 1st "official" game Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Players' 1st "official" game
Page 1 of 1