Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Static grass

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

Static grass Empty
PostSubject: Static grass   Static grass Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009 - 2:35

I have picked up some static grass and been browsing some sites to get an idea on techniques for use. One thing I am having some trouble seeing is the squeeze bottle they speak of for application. As in "shake the bottle to charge the grass some and squeeze it out over the glue".

What kind of tip would such a bottle have? Being frugal I want to see what kind of reuse/recycle kitbash I can come up with. Thanks for any help. Smile
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Static grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Static grass   Static grass Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009 - 18:35

I just have my static grass in a plastic sandwich bag. Keeps the stuff from getting everywhere, and once its ready to be applied to the model, you can either use the 'dip into bag' technique, or take a pinch out with your fingers, and then sprinkle the grass onto the glued surface. When I say sprinkle, I mean as in rub the grass between your fingers over the model until it falls on it's own to the surface.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
dragonmw7
Captain
Captain
dragonmw7

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

Static grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Static grass   Static grass Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009 - 19:21

If you are basing mini's dipping is problably the way to go. If it's for a large piece of terrain, sprnkling with your fingers works best for me, or pouring it out over the adhesive right from the bag.

Tip: Covering large areas with the same shade of grass IMO looks unrealistic and flat. Break up the area you want covered with stones, or a different shade of grass. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

Static grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Static grass   Static grass Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009 - 21:36

Thanks! Now is there any problem with it not standing on end to look like grass?
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

Static grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Static grass   Static grass Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009 - 23:35

No, not a problem, as you can look at it as they trampled the grass. If you shake the bag prior to using it, the grass usually sticks up more, from the static. Also, when you apply the grass, you can easily use a toothpick or some other utensil to move the grass around to stand up more.

I am sure you will see that dipping a model in the grass works fine.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Static grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Static grass   Static grass Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009 - 10:21

Mike wrote:
Thanks! Now is there any problem with it not standing on end to look like grass?

Just turn the base upside down & tap gently on the bottom. This will remove excess grass & make the fibers stand up straighter. If you tap the base over a piece of paper you can retrieve the fall out for reuse.
Watering down you glue also tends to make the grass stand staighter as the fibers are repelled by water. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Static grass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Static grass   Static grass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Static grass
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Painting and Modelling-
Jump to: