Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Pit Fighters

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mexican_Ninja
Hero
Hero
Mexican_Ninja

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 1:33

I'm wanting to start a Pit Fighters band but am having some trouble with something in their equipment section. Ok, so it shows the different styles Pit Fighters are able to take, when I start out do I have to pay the 50 gc's for the chaos style or am I able to purchase individual stuff from the list of available equipment offered to the chaos styler Pit Fighter? I really don't want to spend 130 gc's on a Pit King if I don't have to.
Cathayan Monk 1
Back to top Go down
ThePan

ThePan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 1:45

There are two different rules sets for pit fighters. I wouldn't recommend using the styles one as it really restricts the customisablity of your warband. The rules you want are in TC 14.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 2:27

ThePan wrote:
There are two different rules sets for pit fighters. I wouldn't recommend using the styles one as it really restricts the customisablity of your warband. The rules you want are in TC 14.

I don't agree. The Pit Fighters were officially redone and replaced with the new version in TC 21.. Besides, the weapon styles are a very nice historical touch giving the warband a much more authentic feel.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Mexican_Ninja
Hero
Hero
Mexican_Ninja

Personal Info

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 5:41

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the fighting styles. I just wanted to know if I choose the chaos fighting style do I have the option to buy some of the equipment offered to that style when I create the warband and not have to pay for everything that is listed?
Cathayan Monk 1
Back to top Go down
ThePan

ThePan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 6:38

You are right Cianty, it does add flavor to the list, by I still prefer the older version as it allows you to create the warband you want.
I am under the impression, although I may be wrong, that with the fighting styles, your stuck with that choice of weaponry until you buy a new style, and that you cant use weapons other than those in your style.
But I think you have to buy the entire style as a whole, you can't break it up, am I right in saying that?
Back to top Go down
Mexican_Ninja
Hero
Hero
Mexican_Ninja

Personal Info

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 7:18

If that's the case then it's way expensive to start out a Pit Fighter Warband. I know I am forced to use the equipment for the chosen style I just don't want to buy everything in the package to begin with. Even Henchmen are expensive to start with.
Cathayan Monk 1
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 12:09

Mexican_Ninja wrote:
when I start out do I have to pay the 50 gc's for the chaos style or am I able to purchase individual stuff from the list of available equipment offered to the chaos styler Pit Fighter? I really don't want to spend 130 gc's on a Pit King if I don't have to.

The rules are very clear here. You buy the equipment set as a whole. How do you want to buy individual items from the Chaos set (there are no individual prices)? The cheapest Pit King (80gc) would be the one using the Orc style (+20gc = 100gc).

There is however one interesting sentence: "The fighting style does not restrict Heroes from using items not on their list if they learn the appropriate skills." There are two ways to interpret this. Obviously you need the Weapons Expert skill for close combat weapon and then you could use other items. So if you, e.g. wanted to buy a Halberd, then you could use it after having learned the skill. BUT - and that's a good question - how about buying a single Axe? A single Axe is not in the equipment list (and cannot be bought individually), however it could be bought after the first battle (it's a common item for 5gc). Would a Hero need the skill to use separate weapons which he can use normally as part of a style? Logic says "no", but that is not a real argument and the rules are not clear on this.

Theoretically, what you could do is buy the Orc style for each of your Heroes, and if you then want to use a Flail or Double-handed weapon you could say 'he can use them' so I can buy them indivdually. This does seem very wrong though.

So here's my interpretation of how all this stuff is meant to work:

1. You must chose a Fighting Style, ie a set of weapons and armour.
2. You can buy new FIghting Styles and swap them with other Heroes.
3. You cannot buy weapons or armour which is part of a Fighting Style separately.
4. You can use the Weapons Expert (the combat one, I always forget the name) skill to use weapons that are not part of any of your FIghting Styles. These weapons may be used separately and they then replace the weapon usually used for the current style.
Example: A Pit King with Orc style may replace his Axe and Dagger for a pair of Fighting Claws if he he somehow gets hold of them and has the skill. Still he may not give up his Helmet (ever - as they are part of all styles) and Shield (this can be kept against missile fire anyways).
5. The base for each equipment configuration is always a certain Style, although you may replace weapons with others if you have the skill. You can therefore not buy indvidual armour (never heavy armour, gromril, ithilmar), but have to go with what your style dictates.

This means effectively that once you have learned the skill you can use pretty much every weapon you wish (clubs etc) and you are only restricted in that you have to keep a helmet (Undead Style) and maybe a Shield (Orc).

Please correct me if I am misinterpretating or missing something...
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 12:32

wow! That sounds way cool Very Happy

Ty Mexcian Ninja for starting this thread & Cianty for his clear answers Cool

Going to start a band after my o & g's ^^
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 16:31

I actually like TC14 rules better.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 17:47

And I like the Beastmen from TC 7 better. Razz

Sorry. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mexican_Ninja
Hero
Hero
Mexican_Ninja

Personal Info

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 18:58

Thank You Cianty for the clarification. It helps a lot more now.
Cathayan Monk 2
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 19:42

Mexican_Ninja wrote:
Thank You Cianty for the clarification. It helps a lot more now.
Cathayan Monk 2

Glad I could help!

May I close the thread?
Back to top Go down
Mexican_Ninja
Hero
Hero
Mexican_Ninja

Personal Info

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2009 - 19:43

You sure can close this.
Cathayan Monk 1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pit Fighters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pit Fighters   Pit Fighters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pit Fighters
Page 1 of 1