Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Revising Fear, Removing All Alone

Go down 
+3
Ezekiel
Paluke
Asp
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Empty
PostSubject: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 12:59

A better system of Fear/ All Alone

1 Remove All Alone Entirely
Players always forget this one. And it does not really add anything to the game. Still removing it would make LD even less useful. But now I have an answer to this.

2 Make all Fear, both charging and charged into the following: A model that has failed its fear test will hit only on natural 6s the first round of combat.
This simplifies the rule, right now the fear rule is two rules in one.

3 Add the following: At the beginning of your own close combat phase, if a member of your warband is fighting two or more enemies alone, he must take a fear test. (Knocked down or stunned allies do not count towards fighting alone.)
This is kind of like all alone, but moved to the relevant game phase so that players will remember it. It is simple, and saves tons of rules clutter regarding fleeing models etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 14:25

Great suggestions!

But wouldn't rule number 3 nerf dual wield as well becaause you cannot fight 2 or more opponents?

how does it work with certain skills that negate all alone?
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 14:47

and, to rule three... what if a model has the skill combat master> gain extra attack when in cc with more then one model
I think he would benefit from that type of combat, or at least, enjoy it... not fear it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 14:56

yeah thats the one i meant ezekiel Smile
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 15:18

We pretty much never play with All Alone just because we forget about it. I think it's more of a pain in the ass to keep track of than it's worth.

I kind of like the fear rules how they are though. It really helps when 6 skaven charge my possessed. Even at 6s to hit, there's still a good chance my possessed is going down. If I can stop 2 from charging, then I'm a bit safer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
ts061282
General
General
ts061282

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 16:04

No failed charges with fear removes the tactical advantage offered by fear, is a significant nerf and is not justified in your post.
Back to top Go down
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 16:42

Quote :
But wouldn't rule number 3 nerf dual wield as well becaause you cannot fight 2 or more opponents?

no, what i mean is, if the one model is engaged in close combat with two or more enemies. Smile

i have not thought about the combat master skill yet.

Quote :
No failed charges with fear removes the tactical advantage offered by fear, is a significant nerf and is not justified in your post.

i agree. maybe i got a little carried away

one thing though: with these modifications, fear causers that are not ITP (such as ghouls) gain a net benefit of immune to this other kind of fear
Back to top Go down
http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/
Matumaros
Champion
Champion
Matumaros

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 18:06

Hum... Asp, my humble opinion is that if there's something running smoothly and healthy in Mordheim is the Fear rules assett... you can also tell it from WHFB (a different game, yes, but...) in which, if i recall well, the Fear rules have endured through the various editions without changes.
TS has already pointed out the strategic issue, another very good reason to leave Fear as is, imo.

On the other side i feel All alone really needs some pondering and i'm 100% with you, Asp & others, in that it is a bothering rule, as of now, but... i advise you to go in the opposite direction!

I won't merge it with Fear or simply remove it.
What kept bugging my mind for a while is that i'd like All alone to be more present and important in my games, not that i'm fine forgetting it!!!
All alone really is in the "style" of Mordheim and could affect the game both with fun and strategic impact, if revised and improved... just the needed stuff of desperate fights against the odds and a realistic and relevant factor that could, ie., make that lousy gobbo a bit more useful...

I myself have been tinkering with several aspects of the game in this direction, like making a single Large creature count as 2 effective warriors in CC fights, to have the rule show up more, but as of now nothing really decisive for All alone in itself came out...
Your proposal, rule 3, seems going straight to the point, but looks a lil' too much... any playtest experience?

Cheers!!!
Back to top Go down
Polar Star
Warrior
Warrior
Polar Star

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 18:31

These are interesting ideas, but I think you might have gotten a bit carried away on all three accounts. I think fear causing models are compelling primarily because of the failed charge, which adds a lot more flavor to fights against the undead. The all alone test also works fine as it is. Players need less incentive to form a massive phalanx every game, not more.
Back to top Go down
Matumaros
Champion
Champion
Matumaros

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009 - 18:42

Polar Star wrote:
Players need less incentive to form a massive phalanx every game, not more.

Very good point, Polar star... but i think that's best addressed improving mission objectives and scenarios. No doubt it is something to bear in mind.

Cheers!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revising Fear, Removing All Alone   Revising Fear, Removing All Alone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revising Fear, Removing All Alone
Page 1 of 1