Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

How do you like your campaigns?

Go down 
+8
Svenn
Ethlorien
Chad
Admin Tom
DeafNala
Mordheimer
WarbossKurgan
cianty
12 posters

How long should a campaign preferably last?
I'm a weirdo. I like one-off games.
How do you like your campaigns? Vote_lcap0%How do you like your campaigns? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Up to 10 games
How do you like your campaigns? Vote_lcap18%How do you like your campaigns? Vote_rcap
 18% [ 7 ]
Between 11 and 20
How do you like your campaigns? Vote_lcap58%How do you like your campaigns? Vote_rcap
 58% [ 22 ]
21 and more, more, more!
How do you like your campaigns? Vote_lcap16%How do you like your campaigns? Vote_rcap
 16% [ 6 ]
I like to play on and on and on without having to restart a campaign ever
How do you like your campaigns? Vote_lcap8%How do you like your campaigns? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 38

AuthorMessage
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

How do you like your campaigns? Empty
PostSubject: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009 - 16:59

Since we all are (or most of us) Mordheim players here I think it's save to assume that you prefer campaign play with developing your warbands with each new game, hiring new models, buying better equipment etc. to playing one-off games that have no effect on the next game.

Now what I wonder is how long (ie how many games) would you prefer a campaign to last. Do you want to play forever with no end defined? Would you like to have an explicit goal to work towards which is achievable after X games? If you vote for an interval of games, please consider how many games you usually get done on a given day and then how often you get to play at all. I know it varies a lot how often people play and while some get to play twice a week with two to three games per day, others are glad if they can pull off a monthly meeting where they play one game that evening. Please bear those factors in mind and vote how long you would prefer a campaign to be.

I hope to see many people making a vote! Thanks in advance for participating! Smile Feel free to elaborate on your choice.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009 - 17:15

Good poll!

I voted for 11 to 20 games as I like a campaign to last between two and three months with one or two games played per player, per week. Any longer and warbands seem to become unwieldy and over powered. Any shorter and it feels like you are stopping before you're really getting started properly!

How do you like your campaigns? 665330
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009 - 17:31

I agree! More than 20 games makes the Warbands feel over-powered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009 - 18:06

As someone who doesn't have an oppotunity to play on EVEN an irregular basis, my opinion is of dubious worth; HOWEVER, drawing on my solo gaming & AD&D experiences, & basing the number of games on the point where the bands start getting overly powerful & bogged down in a sea of special abilities, I'd opt for a 20 game campaign.

A three month run ALSO gives ample time to paint up an entry level War Band for the NEXT campaign for those who would like to try a new challenge or are addicted to paintng minis. Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009 - 23:03

I voted for "up to 10".

But that does not describe my gaming behaviour perfectly. In fact, I would be more a "i like to play on and on and on" type of guy, only that this can't be done in one session.

I like to have my warband sitting on its shelf and once or twice a year, I play a couple of games, their stats increase, and they go back to the shelf. Next year we pick up where we left things, and the model's stats increase further.

I like to do this until I feel the warband has reached a power level, that makes it uninteresting to play.

It's a little lilke a bottle of whiskey that you can essentially keep forever, and you only open it for a couple of glasses when friends come over.

Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009 - 23:04

You know what, I changed my vote to "play on and on and on" because apparently no one had voted that before Smile

cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009 - 9:42

Thank you guys for you comments! I am happy to see that we seem to have a definite winner here. I think this should be kept in mind when designing a set of rules or campaign system.

BUT... there must be more people on here who actually play the game. Come on, people! More votes! bounce
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009 - 11:15

I like to play around 15-20 games in a campaign, but once (when my group was bigger) we played one warband each for months (and we were aged between 12 and 14, so we could play everyday). Also, I have one warband that's been reset lots of times, but has never lost (which is just silly, I'm rubbish at playing and it's a rubbish list: it has handguns and two-handers) and now I'm scared to play them.
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009 - 15:13

I voted 11-20 myself. While unfortunately I tend to only have time for one-off games - I do so love a nice long campaign. But it has to have an attainable end, a storyline to follow and conclude basically.

21+ would be fine, sometimes, but after awhile, honestly I get bored with the same group of people and like to try something new. It may even be I'll start the same warband over, but with a different build, fluff, etc... After about 20, if that even, I'm looking for a fresh start.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009 - 17:18

This is a shameless bump to get the attention of those who have not voted yet. Come on, people! bounce
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jul 2009 - 17:30

Honestly, the longest I've ever had one of my Possessed warbands last has been 3-4 games I think. I have the worst rolls and always end up losing several guys and making about 20 gold crowns and just starting over... so, I don't know yet. I like the idea of just going on and on, but not forever. Perhaps until most people are maxed out. Even then, it might be cool to keep them around and play a game with the warbands from that campaign now and then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
conan the ballbearing
Veteran
Veteran
conan the ballbearing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009 - 9:04

i like to play an endless campaign but like tom i don't like to use one warband for too long, i once belonged to a group that played every weekend (well almost every weekend), each player has no more nthan 5 warbands each so you get to spread out their use, the hardest thing is to keep updating the warband with new minis. this campaign actually lasted for more than a year but at the end the games do slow down a bit as you have so much more info to each character. In the end some of the guys lost interest or gave in to the pressure of the sane world and gave up their Geekdom to become "normal people" but it was immense fun while it lasted
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009 - 9:09

Thanks everybody! I think we have a clear winner.
Back to top Go down
conan the ballbearing
Veteran
Veteran
conan the ballbearing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009 - 16:06

Has anyone ever run a solo campaign, yes i know it sounds a bit wierd and possibly the person who has may need to think about getting some therapy, but as a solo player i have often considered this option, maybe i should phone the men in white coats now and get it over with
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009 - 16:07

conan the ballbearing wrote:
Has anyone ever run a solo campaign, yes i know it sounds a bit wierd and possibly the person who has may need to think about getting some therapy, but as a solo player i have often considered this option, maybe i should phone the men in white coats now and get it over with
How, exactly, do you play solo?
Back to top Go down
conan the ballbearing
Veteran
Veteran
conan the ballbearing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009 - 16:14

it's quite easy, but you do need to be slightly mad as it does involve talking to yourself a lot. Mainly though you have to set out your strategy for each warband and try to stick to it as sometimes it's all too easy to cheat, and then you feel guilty that you tried to sheat your opponent but as you are the opponent you feel angry that you were cheated. As you can see it's a very slippery slope into madness
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009 - 17:44

I play solo when I play at all, which speaks volumes on the NUTS FACTOR. Suspect

Last edited by DeafNala on Tue 28 Jul 2009 - 23:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009 - 22:57

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2009 - 0:35

DeafNala wrote:
I play solo when I play at all, which speaks volumes on the NUTS FACTOR. Suspect
It's okay Deaf... the nice men in white coats are here to help. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2009 - 10:23

Svenn wrote:
DeafNala wrote:
It's okay Deaf... the nice men in white coats are here to help. Laughing

lol! NUTS is more in the order of extemely eccentric...EXTREMELY. AND the men in white said I was TOO disreputable to associate with the resident Loonies. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2009 - 23:18

I used to e-mail a newsletter with the number of wins and losses a warband had as well as the updated rating, but I always kept track of the campaign in terms of weeks played. Unless things get ridiculous we usually play about 14 weeks with the same warbands. The highest rated is generally around 450 or so, with the rest either around the same rating or trailing off if things haven't gone well.
In 8 years I've only had to call an early halt a couple of times. Mostly RL will get you before overpowered warbands will. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2009 - 4:01

I like to play lots of games and see at least a couple heroes max out, but most people get bored after a couple of months. So I came up with a solution.

Right now we are playing an accelerated campaign. We only play 1 game per week and the campaign only has 8 games, so 2 months. But for each point of exp you triple it! This sounds a little mad but it's working out well. So by the end of the campaign your leader and 1 or 2 heroes will have maxed out.

As if that isn't enough we are doing a jump start! Instead of starting with 500 gold you start with 1000 and follow the rules for building a warband for a 1 off game, and for each stat or skill upgrade you buy you fill in the appropriate number of exp boxes to get the upgrade. So this will also affect your warband rating if you buy a lot of upgrades. We did a short 3 game test run which worked out well. Now we are on game 7(of 8 ) of our current campaign and I think that it's going quite well. Everyone playing seems to enjoy how quickly you upgrade. I totally recommend giving it a shot! Ooo also we double all gold to keep pace with the exp.

Ha! this sounds quite eccentric when I write it all out but it's making for a good campaign!
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2009 - 23:54

I can't vote!

Coz mine should be:

Play as long as warbands are all fair, if they are not fair anymore then start over. Or start over when a new player joins in the campaign
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010 - 12:01

@Paluke: That would be the last option then.

Time has passed and I'd like to bring this thread back to the attention of all those who haven't voted yet. Go vote!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your campaigns?   How do you like your campaigns? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you like your campaigns?
Page 1 of 1