Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Troll WIP: Orc Warband

Go down 
+7
jackanory
DeafNala
magokiron
Tagnator
Skavenblight
cianty
Snyder_7
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

Troll WIP: Orc Warband Empty
PostSubject: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jan 2009 - 16:15

Here's my latest creation, he's currently about 85% done. I still have some highlighting left to do on the bone accessories and teeth, and obviously I need to finish the base. I'm going to highlight the red cloth and the bony stuff on his back some more as well. I'm also going to re-do his eyes to make them brighter so they "pop" more. Hope you enjoy. Oh, and I had to use Photoshop to lighten the pictures quite a bit, because my cat tore up my light box. Neutral

Friendly critique and thoughts are welcome! I'm still learning as I go. Also, does anyone have any advice for painting teeth? I'm not terribly happy with the color of mine. Thanks!

Troll WIP: Orc Warband Trollb12

Troll WIP: Orc Warband Trollf11
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jan 2009 - 16:20

Nice job. The skin looks good to me. I can't see anything wrong with the teeth either. Problem is that I am not a fan of this sculpt. I prefer the previous edition's Warhammer Trolls.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jan 2009 - 16:34

Looks very nice Smile
Especially metal!
Maybe the white parts need a little shading - I'd wash it a little with brown to make a contrast. But the mini is really well painted.

cianty wrote:
Problem is that I am not a fan of this sculpt. I prefer the previous edition's Warhammer Trolls.
Oh, that's true. The sculpt is horrible.
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jan 2009 - 17:12

looks good, the highlights are effective good job Smile
Back to top Go down
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jan 2009 - 17:16

cianty wrote:
Problem is that I am not a fan of this sculpt. I prefer the previous edition's Warhammer Trolls.

I agree, I'm not very crazy about this sculpt either...but it's what I had available, and I'm broke so I'm not going to turn up my nose at whatever models I have to paint. It's all practice, at any rate. Smile

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

@Skavenblight: Thanks for the thoughts on washing the white parts, I'll give it a go tonight after class/work!
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jan 2009 - 21:23

Hi Snyder_7.

About the theet, you can higlight most of each one with a strong cream color like bleached bone, and the very tip wit a dot of pure white.

A very similar (and easier) method is to paint all the theet white and apply a wash with brown ink.

Yeah. This troll is one of the worst GW has ever made. They tryed to make them "LotR like", but the end result is awful. Nonetheless I have 2! (They were free with battle for skull pass), but never find the drive as to paint them.

Anyhow, your model turned out quite well, and I like a lot the shading of the skin.

A tiny dot of a lighter tone (even pure white) on each spine scale will make them really stano out.

Hope that helps, and keep the good work mate!

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jan 2009 - 21:39

VERY NICE! You took a not-exactly-state-of-the-art mini & made it better than it appeared to be; now that's a fine job in & of itself. WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jan 2009 - 22:17

@magokiron: I will try adding a dot of pure skull white on the scales to make them pop out a bit more, thanks for the advice. Smile I also plan to give the teeth and bone accessories a brown wash.

@DeafNala: Thanks for the praise, I figured you would appreciate it as a fellow greenskin enthusiast...even if it's a pretty terrible sculpt for a model! I'll have more pictures tonight of the finished product. I added another highlight to the skin and re-painted the eyes. Tonight I'm going to finish the base, highlight the scales and wash the bone pieces.

Keep an eye out! Smile
Back to top Go down
jackanory
Warlord
Warlord
jackanory

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 0:13

Wha?! I love these new troll sculpts! Why so much hatred for them? Also I like what you've done with him, everyone's given all the advice you need I think (I'd go with the washes personally).
Magokiron if you like I'll take one of your spares off you Smile
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 3:56

jackanory wrote:
Magokiron if you like I'll take one of your spares off you Smile

I'm afraid post rates will be sooooo high for a plastic figure to be mailed from Mexico to UK jackanory, as to make this convenient. Sad

But I'm sure in UK or Europe must be lots of these models for you grab.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 5:39

For teeth on my Orcs, Goblins and Trolls I usually give a base coat of Bestial Brown. Followed by another layer of Rotting Flesh and then Bleached bone. Sometimes I then go ahead and wash it with Ogryn Flesh. Good paint job all around, and yes, a terrible model and I own one too hehe.
Back to top Go down
MagnoliaFan
Warlord
Warlord
MagnoliaFan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 9:56

jackanory wrote:
Wha?! I love these new troll sculpts! Why so much hatred for them? Also I like what you've done with him, everyone's given all the advice you need I think (I'd go with the washes personally).

I agrea with you, I think the new trolls are cool. I love the domb look they got and the two metal versions are awsome. I got all three of them Wink
But to the point: The troll looks really nice, good paint job. Cant wait to see the rest of the band of "green mean killing machines"!
Back to top Go down
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 14:38

Alright, here's the mostly done troll. I still need to add a few little touch ups, but for all practical purposes he's finished.

Troll WIP: Orc Warband Trolld13

Troll WIP: Orc Warband Trolld14
Back to top Go down
MagnoliaFan
Warlord
Warlord
MagnoliaFan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 15:03

He looks even better! I love the frenzied look in his eyes and the fact that he already bashed some heads in! Very Happy
Do you have a snowy mordheim table? ore do you play BTB?
Back to top Go down
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 15:15

I don't play BTB nor do I have a snowy mordheim table. I simply made the troll with a snowy base to reflect the mountainous snow-covered country he hails from. Also, I did it because I simply wanted to try making snow. Very Happy

Also, on an entirely random and amusing note, I showed this picture to a friend who plays warhammer...and he said "Man, the shading on the back is good. It looks like I could cut a delicious steak off of his back!"

So now we've got a running joke that he's going to model a troll being roasted and eaten by some of his dwarves. Razz

Anyone up for some troll steak?
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 15:28

Wow, good job once again on him. Looks alot better with your highlights done and finished. And yes, I like mine medium rare please.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 20:13

Snyder_7 wrote:

Be careful, you may end like GROM THE PAUNCH OF MISTY MOUNTAIN.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009 - 20:14

Oh! And the paintjob is superb!

Very good job mate.

Waiting to see the rest of the band.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jan 2009 - 2:14

Hehe, I like how he's already bashed something with his statue such that it looks like the statue was eating a fresh kill.
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeSun 1 Feb 2009 - 23:35

wow... that's some awesome highlighting-shading-blending skill affraid

incredible Very Happy (way beyond my skill Wink )

cheers on this fantastic painted mini!

(and yes i like this one sculpt too! Razz )
Back to top Go down
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitimeTue 3 Feb 2009 - 2:10

magokiron wrote:
Snyder_7 wrote:

Be careful, you may end like GROM THE PAUNCH OF MISTY MOUNTAIN.

As an Orc player who happens to LOVE gobbos in all regards...I can only hope! Very Happy

Sadly I don't think I'll be able to work on my green beasties for a while, I'm doing a few projects for a friend at the moment. Perhaps I'll post those as they come along further! It'll be a mix of both sci-fi stuff as well as Mordheim/WHFB.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troll WIP: Orc Warband   Troll WIP: Orc Warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Troll WIP: Orc Warband
Page 1 of 1