Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My Mordheim terrain - under construction!

Go down 
+17
sergus_miniatures
wongwyrd
robh
Theorox
Tagnator
Grimscull
Leavhon
Codsticker
Gatlag Stonetooth
Harrocks
FAB
Tha Tall One
DeafNala
Rhydderch
FKSN
PJB
Ellegaard
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

Trading Reputation : 0

mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 2 Feb 2020 - 18:41

As everyone else has said -- great work! Those are fantastic looking pieces, beautifully painted, & plenty of them as well, to properly fill up a battlefield! The moss is a particularly nice, simple detail, that gives a more worn, realistic look to the ruins.

As for all the scattered documents -- I always said the invention of the printing press would mean more litter in the streets...
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2020 - 16:51

So, corona-lockdown here in Denmark has given me a few extra hours a day, so apart from trying to home-school the kids and doing a bit of work myself, I emptied a bottle of Aberlour 12 years old and made the box into a ruined tower:
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Fullsi10
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Fullsi11
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2020 - 16:52

And I also added another small two-storey ruined building to hide behind and painted it white:

mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Fullsi13
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Fullsi12
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 17 Mar 2020 - 17:48

You do make some CHARMING creations. OUTSTANDING WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 8:14

Ellegaard wrote:
I emptied a bottle of Aberlour 12 years old
My man! Hope the kids didn't wake you up too soon, you posting stuff before 5am and all.
Any chance of photos of your buildings before you hit them with paint? I'd really like to see the construction.
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 10:03

Love the details in your buildings, some stunning work! Smile Also the stone and wood are painted really, really nice! Good work Smile
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 11:33

Grimscull wrote:
Ellegaard wrote:
I emptied a bottle of Aberlour 12 years old
My man! Hope the kids didn't wake you up too soon, you posting stuff before 5am and all.
Any chance of photos of your buildings before you hit them with paint? I'd really like to see the construction.
Ha-ha! We're probably a few hours ahead of you here in Denmark, and so far they've allowed us to sleep until 6:30 a.m. or so, so we're all happy!

Yeah, I do have a couple of work-in-progress pictures:
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Img_9111
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Img_9110
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Img_9112
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 11:33

And another one here:

mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Img_9113

I just put the bookcase and table inside the tower to get an idea of how it would look, but I painted them separately before glueing them to the floor.
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 11:40

And thanks a lot for the compliments, gentlemen! Corona really inspires getting creative here - we're in a state of national emergency and pretty much just waiting for the government to shut down the country completely so we can't even get outside. There's not much else to do at the moment. I hope you all take care of yourselves and have fun with your hobby projects!
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 11:46

May I ask which colours you used for painting your roof tiles? I really dig the blue/grey'ish tone Smile
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 11:51

I actually just used some cheap blue acrylic paint and mixed it with a bit of black, giving it a kind of very muddy very dark blue color. Then mixed in a lot of cheap white acrylic and drybrushed it with a big paintbrush. It's quite easy - not very fancy at all!
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 12:13

Thanks! Smile Works just perfect!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 13:21

The Tower is a WONDERFULLY detailed ruin. You give each of your pieces a distinctive character. OUTSTANDING WORK once more! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 14:18

Ellegaard wrote:

Ha-ha! We're probably a few hours ahead of you here in Denmark,
I'm from Germany actually, so no headstart for you, sir. Laughing
But the forumtime is some US-version, it seems. Never noticed before. Thanks for the wip-pics!
Back to top Go down
Codsticker
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Codsticker

Trading Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 15:23

Really nice work Ellegaard; I love the details all the little scratchbuilt pieces.
Back to top Go down
PJB
Veteran
Veteran
PJB

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2020 - 18:49

That turned out quite nice. I love it. The black-blue-white contrasts are really working well Smile
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 20 Mar 2020 - 13:34

Agreed -- great work. The amount of detail on & in the tower is especially impressive, & gives a real sense of the Mordheim book illustrations.
Back to top Go down
Theorox
Warlord
Warlord
Theorox

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 8 May 2020 - 8:55

Great stuff! I really like both the style of the buildings and the painting style. Very nice. It's a wonder that a few of those buildings hold together! Very Happy

Theo
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2020 - 16:03

I just finished building a gaming table. I had three light boards of 120 x 60 cm (just about 4 x 2 feet) cut out at the local hardware store, reinforced the edges with thick strips of wood, and with the help of two clamps holding together each board I can create an either 4’ x 4’ or 6’ x 4’ gaming table. I’m quite happy with it - it’s light, easy to set up and take down, doesn’t take up too much space here in our Copenhagen apartment, and it’s perfect for both Warhammer, Kings of War and Mordheim.

I wanted to see what my full terrain looks like when set up, and here it is, gentlemen
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 3460f510
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 3aa4d210
mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 45949d10
I’m thinking of building a large 2” platform to have some variation at ground level. I think that would pretty much complete my Mordheim table. But so far I’m still very happy, and can’t wait to start playing in a few weeks, when I have more time!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2020 - 16:15

That is a BEAUTIFUL gaming board. WONDERFULLY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2020 - 16:19

Thanks a lot DeafNala! 😀
Back to top Go down
Codsticker
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Codsticker

Trading Reputation : 3

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2020 - 16:27

That's a great looking set up Ellegaard. The buildings are all unique but are tied together by the style of construction and the painting.
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2020 - 16:52

That is a really great looking table, the mat works really well and the buildings are wonderful.
Only issue for me is the walkways, they are very, very long and look like they would need a couple of high lift cranes to get them into place.

Walkways are something I have always been dubious about since Mordheim was first released, I love the idea and they fit really well into the theme and background, but.......
Very few of us play with the oppressive tight alleyways and streets where short scrap timber walkways are a viable option. Partly because that amount of scenery would be cost and time prohibitive to produce and partly because trying to move figures and actually play the game in that environment is really difficult.
And secondly, I have seen many figures damaged over the years as a players errant sleeve or elbow sends the walkway and its precarious occupants crashing onto the tabletop.

Back to top Go down
Ellegaard
Champion
Champion
Ellegaard

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2020 - 17:33

Thanks for the comments!

robh wrote:
Only issue for me is the walkways, they are very, very long and look like they would need a couple of high lift cranes to get them into place.

Walkways are something I have always been dubious about since Mordheim was first released, I love the idea and they fit really well into the theme and background, but.......
Very few of us play with the oppressive tight alleyways and streets where short scrap timber walkways are a viable option. Partly because that amount of scenery would be cost and time prohibitive to produce and partly because trying to move figures and actually play the game in that environment is really difficult.
And secondly, I have seen many figures damaged over the years as a players errant sleeve or elbow sends the walkway and its precarious occupants crashing onto the tabletop.

That's a very interesting perspective. So far I haven't played a single game on this table, with this terrain, but my idea was to create a full scenery that invites players to exploring all the different levels with the option to - in principle - move from one end of the table to another without ever touching the ground. I have a box full of ladders to make the climbing easier. Just like you, I love the idea of walkways all across the city - but maybe it's not a viable option after all. I could definitely see miniatures getting knocked down occasionally, especially after a few beers in jolly company! But you think the walkways are too long...?

As I think I mentioned earlier, my biggest regret would be having spent all that time building two, three and four-story-buildings, tons of ladders and bridges and walkways and then ending up playing hide-and-seek at ground level. But it's been almost twenty years since I last played Mordheim, and even back then my actual gaming experience was quite limited, so I'm still just kind of guessing and imagining how the game actually works in practice.
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2020 - 20:59

Height is certainly an issue that needs to be solved.  The ability to climb is an important part of the game and having such a wonderful selection of scenery, not to use would be a shame.
Height is important to Mordheim and in the game it adds a tactical factor to how warbands are recruited and how they are played. A couple of well placed crossbowmen with good lines of fire from a second or third storey building can seal off large areas of a table and prevent enemy movement, or at least make it a risky option.
The security of the walkway and figures on it can never be guaranteed in use, but I am sure something could be done with the range of micro magnets that is around these days. Maybe clamping the walkway end and the terrain floor between 2 strong magnets (suitably camouflaged) would hold them securely.

I am almost certain that no-one else would even raise an eyebrow at the walkways, but I look for a sense of "realism" behind all the scenery and terrain on the table, even if it is designed for fantasy or sci-fi games.
I look at scenery and ask "What is it for?" and "How did it get there?" If I can find a good answer to those that fits in the game background or narrative then no problem.
With your long walkways I need to know how and where they were made, and how did they get installed between the 2 buildings? A couple of those look longer than the highest building is tall. Real life experience tells you that the buildings can be that tall as they are built by teams of workers on scaffolds with ropes and pulleys working from the ground up. How do they make and install those walkways? I can't logically see that, so for me, they look wrong.
But as I said, that is probably just me. No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Mordheim terrain - under construction!   mordheim - My Mordheim terrain - under construction! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Mordheim terrain - under construction!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next