Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Couple of three questions

Go down 
+2
MasterSpark
Darkfury
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Darkfury
Captain
Captain
Darkfury

Trading Reputation : 0

Couple of three questions Empty
PostSubject: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2015 - 20:31

Quote :
The prayer 'Armour of Righteousness'. The priest has an armour save of 2+ which replaces his normal armour save. In addition, he causes Fear in his enemies and is therefore immune to Fear himself.

1) So if the priest charges a model and then casts this in the shooting/magic phase, the Fear takes effect right away and the charged model must pass a fear test or require 6's to hit. I was thinking he wasn't actually causing Fear when he charged (i.e. in the charging phase with it being before the magic phase). I guess the intent is that he should still cause Fear even if he casts after charging?

2) Just remembered this one. Is a model with Horrible Scars (after battle roll) immune to Fear as well as causing it?

Quote :
The chaos ritual 'Visions of Torment'. This spell has a range of 6" and must be cast on the closest enemy model. If the chaos mage is in hand-to-hand combat, he must chose his target from those in base contact with him. The affected model is immediately stunned. If the model cannot be stunned it is knocked down instead.

3) If the model he is fighting has more than one wound, does it still get stunned? If so can it get OOA'd in the combat round automatically?

Sorry if any of these should be obvious, I suspect at least #1 should be obvious Smile
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2015 - 21:24

Hi Darkfury,

1) Rules as written, the priest will not cause a fear test on the charge. The test is made when the charge is declared and the priest isn't fear-causing at that point. It would be a sensible house rule though but it's never come up in my group.

2) Horrible scars makes the model fear-causing, which in turn makes it immune to fear.

3) Yes, the model will be stunned regardless of how many wounds it has remaining. The spell of doom is similar to this, you roll on the injury table even if the target has wounds remaining. An OOA result there means the model is taken out as normal.

I hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Darkfury
Captain
Captain
Darkfury

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2015 - 20:09

Thanks a lot MasterSpark, it does indeed help.

I will chat to my opponent about the Armor spell and we can house rule it one way or the other.

I think I had assumed horrible scars didnt make you Fear immune because the previous item on the serious injuries chart was 'Hardened' making them Fear immune but not Fear causing, but thats just a separate possibility so not relevant (and twice as likely).

Good to know about the wounds, that could be very handy. Or very annoying, depending on which side you are on. But good for additional tactics.
Back to top Go down
Darkfury
Captain
Captain
Darkfury

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2015 - 10:11

Actually that Visions of Torment seems silly overpowered then doesn't it? That means if my opponent has a minotaur with say four wounds, as long as I can roll the spells difficulty check (alright thats a tricky 10), as long as I have a model in B2B (either myself or another one) I can just take it auto OOA (as it's stunned)?

Or I have to roll for injury, and ignore anything but a 5 or 6 as the model is already stunned?
And on a 1 to 4 on the injury he doesn't lose any wounds?

Sorry if I am complicating what should be very simple.
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2015 - 10:17

Nope, you're entirely right. The minotaur will go out of action immediately because it is stunned. It's potentially very powerful. The defence against it is the difficulty of the spell, the short range and that the wizard must cast it against the closest enemy model. Having a helmet on should also work, giving you a 50% chance of turning it into a knocked down result instead which is less serious. Undead models are also protected in the same way as they can't be stunned.
Back to top Go down
Darkfury
Captain
Captain
Darkfury

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2015 - 10:29

Thanks again. At least it's clear (and my oppo can start buying helmets!).
Back to top Go down
MasterSpark
Warlord
Warlord
MasterSpark

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2015 - 10:37

The helmet thing might be a grey area depending on how you read the rules on it. The spell says that the target is immediately stunned while helmets give you a save against being stunned. Immediately stunned might imply bypassing anything that could stop it, although I think it should have said automatically stunned instead if that was the case. Let's see if others will weigh in on this with other answers. It'll be worth it to talk it over with the guys in your group as well.

Personally I think that making helmets effective against visions of torment is a good thing. It's an evil, evil spell.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2015 - 1:52

I'd definitely bring in a vote for Helmets working against Vision of Torment; unless the spell ignores saves from Helmets (like a 3-4 Mace crit), I don't see anything in the rules that would bypass it. Same goes for Spell of Doom.

Concerning the Armour of Righteousness: You do not cause fear on your charge, since, as you say, the magic phase is after the movement phase. It does however work when the enemy attempts to charge you in the following turn.
Back to top Go down
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2015 - 13:03

Im the one its being used against, and i don't think helmets should be relevant.

A helmet saves you from something twatting you round the head, not a spell, that makes no sense.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2015 - 16:31

You can feel free to make a house-rule, but RAW the helmet will give you a save against the stunning. Perhaps the extra mass around the brain gives the helmet-wearer a *chance* to *slightly* mitigate the amount of trouble he is in. Remember, being knocked down in melee is only slightly better than being stunned.

Also, the 10 to cast sounds difficult now, but with e.g. Sorcery, Mind Focus, Magical Aptitude and a Familiar, it becomes a lot easier to pull off.
Back to top Go down
Thespian
Champion
Champion
Thespian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2015 - 12:48

qboid wrote:

Im the one its being used against, and i don't think helmets should be relevant.

A helmet saves you from something twatting you round the head, not a spell, that makes no sense.

Agreed, Vision of Torment is a vision not a hit on the head. And while I realise this is a fluff interpretation (not a RAW), I feel that this is the spirit which is intended. As said earlier, the spell is already hard to cast, has a short range and must be cast at the closest enemy. The spell caster is taking quite a risk getting up close and personal with a minotaur just to get a 16.6% chance to stun it.

Spells are those special things, like skills, that make heroes, heroes; they should be powerful.

Lord 0 wrote:
You can feel free to make a house-rule, but RAW the helmet will give you a save against the stunning. Perhaps the extra mass around the brain gives the helmet-wearer a *chance* to *slightly* mitigate the amount of trouble he is in. Remember, being knocked down in melee is only slightly better than being stunned.

Also, the 10 to cast sounds difficult now, but with e.g. Sorcery, Mind Focus, Magical Aptitude and a Familiar, it becomes a lot easier to pull off.

Yes, but by then the sorcerer has gone through lots of effort and luck to achieve these skills. That should be rewarded. How many scenarios does the sorcerer need to play to get these skills v.s. how many scenarios the opposing warband needs to play to afford a minotaur (or achieve a hero of similar power)? All in all, feels balanced to me.
Back to top Go down
Aipha
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Aipha

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2015 - 13:00

If you cannot see the 'fluff' reason for Helmets to apply, try this one, suggested by NoisyAssassin in this thread:

NoisyAssassin wrote:
If you want a fluff justification, think of it as, "Wizard casts the spell and falls into a swoon from loss of blood. On the way down, he may hit his head on the pavement, turning the knock down into a stun. The helmet has a chance to protect his head if this happens."
(Regarding the spell Dark Blood, where you must test for the sorcerer's injury)

While I do not want to repeat my arguments for the Helmet to provide a save in this situation as well, I will try to come up with a fluff explanation in the same area.

This is the fluff description of Vision of Torment:

Mordheim Rulebook p. 43 wrote:
The Chaos Mage summons horrible visions of the realm of Chaos, causing his enemy to recoil in utter horror.

Could one imagine that these visions cause the victim to fall over and hit his head so hard, that he would become stunned, and would that not be excactly what a Helmet could protect you from?
Back to top Go down
Thespian
Champion
Champion
Thespian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitimeSun 24 May 2015 - 13:44

Yeah, those are good ones! Thanks!

In any case, it comes down, as always, to what each of us finds fun. I find the spell's difficulty and circumstances justifies it's power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple of three questions   Couple of three questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Couple of three questions
Page 1 of 1