Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows

Go down 
+2
Phantasmal_fiend
CygnusMaximus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Empty
PostSubject: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2015 - 21:40

I've decided to put together a Beastman Raiders warband, and have been going over the rules and getting models together.  Since I am not one of the fortunate few to have the Mordheim Centigor model, I pulled out an old Warhammer Centigor to convert for use in my warband.  The model clearly has a buckler rather than a shield (and it's moulded onto the side of the metal model - not an easy thing to cut and file off!), but the Beastmen Equipment list doesn't include bucklers...

So... has anyone else tried allowing bucklers for Centigors?  Did it break anything?

Because the latest incarnation of Ungors have an option for short bows, we've also opted to allow short bows for ungors in an attempt to actually get somebody to use them as something other than bodies.  A few experiments have shown that they didn't break anything, but that the little bit of missile support they can provide does make them a bit more valuable to the warband.

Is anybody else running Ungors with shortbows?

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited by CygnusMaximus on Mon 30 Mar 2015 - 22:02; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2015 - 21:57

I haven't used any ungors in ages maybe this will give them a purpose and a centigor armed with a buckler is the least of my worries when facing a fellow beastman. I am all for WYSIWYG even if it means tweaking the weapons list
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2015 - 22:06

I played Beastmen ages ago, didn't rebuy any Ungors once they died off. Letting them use shortbows sounds like a smart move. Can Centigors use shields? Cannot remember. If so, isn't it possible to glue a shield ABOVE the buckler without making it look totally stupid?
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2015 - 22:14

It is possible to file it down a bit and glue a shield on top, but the fact the model already had it got me thinking about whether it would be problematic to just allow them.

I asked because I'm working on rewrite of the rules to correct some of the problems my group has found with Mordheim (skilled warriors seem to all have hammers, low WS models use swords, nobody takes shields, everyone has two weapons, etc.), and while I'm editing the rules, I'm including minor changes like short bows for Ungors and, maybe, bucklers for Centigors. It'll be some time before I can test it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for your responses!
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2015 - 1:24

We had a similar discussion on the forum back when the last update of the Beastman Warhammer Army included the Ungors with bows. My local group have included it as an option since, although Beastmen don't show up in our campaigns often. The short bows haven't broken anything.
Back to top Go down
Skavenslayer
General
General
Skavenslayer

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2015 - 9:37

Centigors use weapon and armor from the 'Gor' list - there is only a 'Beastmen' and 'Ungor', I see the gors and centigors as the REAL beastmen and have always used 'Beastmen' weapon list for centigors and belive this is RAI, personaly I see letting them use spear (as the models got) is a house rule, but dont see it as a problem, they got low I and should not count as mounted (again could be houseruled)

Other then that I dont see a problem letting centigors use bucklar, dont think it will break the game.

Short bows for ungor, again this is not game breaking. Personaly I would be happy if a beastmen player used them, as i see it as a downgrade, 2-3 BS3(4) S3 shots is not something Im afraid of.
The ungors is ok as meatshields and can do more damage with 2 daggers then a shortbow.

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2015 - 11:09

We allowed centigors to have spears and to get the cavalry bonus when charging. We haven't haven't made any of the other changes (bucklers or short bows) since Beastmen are already a top tier warband and we didn't want to give them more options. We may consider it for future campaigns though.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Skavenslayer
General
General
Skavenslayer

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeMon 6 Apr 2015 - 21:12

MrLemming wrote:
We allowed centigors to have spears...

What weapon list do you use for centigors??

Personally I think letting them use charging bonus might be too strong. But dont really got any data or arguments for why.

-

How do you guys play the centigor? Can they climb? What can they climb? (stairs, ropes, ladders, walls ect..) Can they enter buildings? Can they swim?

My group have never really thought about most of these questions, but would like to know what others think centigors can.

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeMon 6 Apr 2015 - 22:49

We allow them to have spears. We don't let Centigors climb ropes, ladders, etc but we do let them to climb stairs. We do let them enter buildings if the door is large enough. Swimming doesn't come up on our games but i think that we'd allow it.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeTue 7 Apr 2015 - 3:14

It seems to depend on who is playing Beasts. Back in the day my centigor had to avoid buildings, couldn't climb and couldn't hang out in bars despite suffering from alchoholism. These new kids complain that that would hinder one of their best heroes (well duh!) and thus the group allows climbing, entering buildings and all manner of silliness.
I find the climbing thing to be ridiculous, but young people have no shame nowadays.
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitimeWed 8 Apr 2015 - 1:36

I agree that Centigor shouldn't be able to climb, though the Centigor is a bit of a problem as it's unclear whether it counts as "cavalry" or "infantry". In general, we play that the cavalry rule for spears applies to them (if they have spears) and that they count as being mounted for the purposes of climbing and entering buildings, BUT they count as being on foot for all other purposes... though there's nothing in the rules themselves that support that interpretation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows   Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Centigors with Bucklers and Ungors with Shortbows
Page 1 of 1