Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyc222
Veteran
Veteran
mikeyc222

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Empty
PostSubject: Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain   Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 11 Aug 2013 - 2:54

Hello all, I've been checking out the forum for a while and I decided that it was about time I registered and posted. I just recently started playing Mordheim again after a long break, and since I gave away all my old terrain a few years ago, it was time to start all over again. No worries though, building the terrain was always my favorite part of the hobby anyway.
Anyway, I only have a few piece so far, but I am happy with what I have managed. Comments and critiques are welcome.
First up is my most recent building. It was intended to be an industrial, possibly military building.
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Img_0876b
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Img_0875b
The first level is 3 inches and the arches leave plenty of room for most normal sized models to pass without problems. There is also a walkway going sideways underneath the stairs on the left of the first picture. I decided to go with a completely flat roof on this one because I simply try to make each piece a little different from the last and I hadn't tried that before. Also, using flat roofs allowed for maximum playability and 4 stories on this piece without it being overly tall. The barrels in the corner are simple wooden dowels turned on a lathe that can be bought from my local hobby superstore for $1.49 for 9 of them.
Next is my take on the gatehouse piece that came in the blood on the streets pack. Now admittedly, I haven't actually seen that piece in several years so I was working off of rusty memory. I liked the result though.
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Dsc01471b
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Dsc01472b
Like most of my terrain, this one has multiple ways in and out. I don't like any place of the board to be too "safe" for any particular mini... and I also like to go vertical so quite a few of my pieces go at least 4 floors. I originally wanted the lookout perch to be centered on the roof, but since I rarely plan very far ahead when building, I just never could figure out a good way to make that happen. What you see was the best compromise I could think of.
This building is mostly vertical, obviously. Again, I really try to give each piece a slightly different feel.
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Dsc01432b
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Dsc01434b
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Dsc01435b
Nothing particularly difficult or special about this building. I think it looks and plays nicely so that's about all I can hope for with any terrain piece I make.
This last piece is the first building I made when I decided to give Mordheim another go. This was the first piece I had made in several years so I made a few mistakes, but I still think it came out ok.
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Dsc01430b
Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Dsc01428b
The base is just a bit too narrow, and the second floor is too large so it's hard to have access to the first floor, but overall, I'm happy with this piece.
I hope I didn't bore anyone. I'm just glad other people still like this game enough to have places like this to trade ideas.
Back to top Go down
http://mikeyc222.wordpress.com/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain   Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 11 Aug 2013 - 5:28

Welcome to the forum! Great introductory post. Nice work on the ruins. I like the first one best because of the combined stonework, plaster and arches. thumbsup thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
mikeyc222
Veteran
Veteran
mikeyc222

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain   Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 11 Aug 2013 - 6:57

thanks! it's been so long since I made terrain that it's taking me a little while to get the hang of it again, but I think each piece that I make is a little better than the last. Smile
Back to top Go down
JoaoS
Etheral
Etheral
JoaoS

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain   Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 11 Aug 2013 - 12:34

Awesome collection. I like them all but the first one in particular because of the arches, staircases and balconies - all three elements add great depth to the piece.

The other houses are fabulous too. They are all distinctive and characterful and yet blend in very well because of the similar style. Well done with the proportions too.

Finally, there seems to be plenty of space to deploy and move your troops, so I think you already have a whole tabletop worth of Mordheim houses to have a compelling game.

Joao
Back to top Go down
http://fistful-minis.blogspot.co.uk/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain   Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 11 Aug 2013 - 14:54

Howdy, Neighbor! WELCOME ABOARD Fearless Leader Tom's Sleep Yet On Occasion Cool Nonetheless Mordheim Forum. Have a FUN stay!

All the buildings look TERRIFIC...especially the first & last ones. They're all BEAUTIFULLY made, painted, & detailed with a Mordheim chic feel to them...being local adds to the appeal for moi. VERY WELL DONE!  thumbsup
Back to top Go down
mikeyc222
Veteran
Veteran
mikeyc222

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain   Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Icon_minitimeSun 11 Aug 2013 - 17:41

Glad you guys like the buildings. I keep things a little on the spartan side, no real debris, no doll furniture. I might add some of that later. My group isn't actually playing Mordheim right now so I have plenty of time to get things prepared and tweaked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain   Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small, but growing collection of Mordheim Terrain
Page 1 of 1