Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Ship Wreck

Go down 
+2
Arli
Pervavita
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2013 - 16:27

I made this scenario not too long ago and I got to run it one time and made a few small changes already.
Over all we had some fun with it and learned a bit. I'm just starting a secound game using these rules and will see how that goes.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ship Wreck

News of a large Bretonnian fleet coming to help end the strife in Mousillon has reached you. The only problem is though is that fleet ran into a large storm that saw most of the ships be lost at sea thus pushing back any major Bretonnian intervention for some time.
With the loss of so many ships it is likely that much of the cargo on these ships will wash aground. So your warband sets out to find this loot along the coast.

terrain
The setting is outside the city as any shipwrecks inside the city would have there cargo snatched up by those living in the city far too fast for any warband to arrive.
One table edge will be deemed the water front and suitably marked as such and should not extend onto the board more then 3".
Each player takes it in turn to place a piece of terrain, either a ruined building, tower, Forest features or other similar item. We suggest that the terrain is set up within an area roughly 4' x 4'.

special rules
Once you have placed the terrain, put some Cargo counters on the tabletop to represent
where the Cargo is. There will be 4 counters in total.
The Cargo will be on the shore closest to the Water Front and no more then 4" from the shore (7" from the tables edge) or 8" from any tables edge.

Warriors can pick up the counters simply by moving into contact with them and thus ending there movement phase. A warrior can carry only one (1) counter and may not run or fight: though they still may avoid hits and dodge as normal, AS do not count shields. They may set down a counter at any time or transfer it to another warrior by making base contact and ending both there movement phases.
Large Models (such as Trolls, Rate Ogres, Ogres, ext) may carry up to 2 counters or if they carry one lose the use of one arm and what is in it.
Animals may not carry a counter as they just don’t have the means to pick up such a large crate.
Mounted Models must dismount (ending there turn if in base contact with a Crate counter) to pick up a Crate but they may remount with it but still can not run.
If the warrior who is carrying a counter is taken out of action, place the counter on the table where he fell.
Whoever recovers the Cargo may roll on the chart at the bottom of the page after the game to see what the cargo contains. Note that you roll for each item separately as applies, apart from the Daggers, which are always automatically found. For example, roll to see if you find any Heavy Armour – you need a 5+ to find it. Then roll to see if you find the Swords, and so on. This can make the chest a very valuable acquisition – however, it could also mean that your warband has risked death for only a little food!

warbands
Each player rolls a dice. Whoever rolls highest chooses who sets up first. The first player then
chooses which deployment zone to set up on, placing all his warriors inside there deployment zone then the other player does the same.
In the event of special rules that allow warriors to start outside of there deployment zone they may not be with in 12" of the other players deployment zone or 12" of any of the crates. Or 8" form any opponent.

Deployment Zones
On the opposite table edge from the water front measure a 12"x8" rectangle starting in each corner with the 12” extending towards the water. This will create 2 deployment zones that are 32" from each other and are roughly 36" from the water front edge.
starting the game
Both players roll a D6. The highest scoring player takes the first turn.

Ending the game
*The game ends at the end of turn 8 as surviving ship crews or other patrols have arrived and drive off the warbands.
*When all counters have been removed from the table.
*Alternatively, when one of the warbands fails its Rout test the game ends.

Experience
+1 Survives. If a Hero or a Henchman group survives the battle they gain +1 Experience.
+1 Winning Leader. The leader of the winning warband gains +1 Experience.
+1 per Cargo Counter. If a Hero or Henchman is carrying a Cargo counter at the end of the battle/carry off the board; he receives +1 Experience (yes this means a henchmen group could earn 2+ exp this battle).
+1 Per Enemy Out of Action. Any Hero earns +1 Experience for each enemy he puts out of action.

Campaign Points
No Change from the normal objectives of your warband.

Cargo Counters
For every Cargo Counter under your control at the end of the game or carried off the board by your warriors grants you one roll of 2D6 on the chart bellow.
2-6: A large sum of food was found, use this food to reduce your warbands size by 1 in the post game sequence. If 2 or more are found like this these may reduce your warband size by more then one rating.
7-10: The cargo carried pieces of clothes and other trinkets worth 2D6 gc
11: A Weapons Cash is found with many weapons of use. Roll on the Weapons Cash chart bellow.
12: Questionable Goods are found that seam to not all fit into what would be expected on a Bretonnian warship. Roll on the Questionable Goods chart bellow.

Weapons Cash:
2D6 Daggers Automatic
D3 Suits of Heavy Armour 5+
D6 Suit of light armour 4+
D6 Sword 5+
D6 Long Bows 5+
Hunting Arrows 5+

Questionable Goods:
2D6 GC Automatic
Medical Chest* 6+
D3 Uses of Superior Gunpowder 4+
D3 Doses of Crimson Shade 5+
D3 Vile of Dark Venom 5+

*Medical Chest: This gives you 3 Healing Herbs or you can use the whole thing at once and re-roll one serious injury roll for any warrior. A re-roll can not be re-rolled so no using two medical chest on the same warrior.

Last edited by Pervavita on Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 17:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2013 - 16:58

Interesting. You should add to the description of the medical chest that the re-roll cannot be re-rolled (unless it can).
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2013 - 17:27

Nice catch thx.
As far as I know you can't re-roll a re-roll anyplace in the rules so I didn't think to specify this.
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2013 - 17:43

That was something that jumped out at me. It looks like a fun scenario also. I may give it a try this weekend. The potential payoff is great. especially if a group manages to get more than one chest.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeTue 26 Mar 2013 - 18:44

ya it can be. In the game I played both of us got two and didn't get much out of them but that's the risk involved in it. The extra henchmen exp was a nice perk though so made it well worth the risk.

Let me know how it turns out!
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeSat 30 Mar 2013 - 20:15

We played this today. A question came up though. If a warband voluntarily routs, but has possession of 3 of the cargo. Do they lose that cargo, or since it was in their possession at the end of the game, do they get it?

We played it that it was lost (to my horror as I had 3).

Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 1 Apr 2013 - 17:09

The way it is writen is you would keep it.
logic is they would drop and run so I can see this but the rules for the scenarios "wyrdstone hunt" and also "hidden treasure" do not do this so the presadense is set that the logic does not always apply.
Also I look at it as if your routing your in trouble so chances are you need the small boost.

Maybe a LD roll on the indavidual model if you rout to see if the model just dropped the crate and ran or kept his nerves enough to keep hands on well he/she escaped?

other then that. how did it play?
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 1 Apr 2013 - 17:12

My warband lost the three cargo tokens. No other major losses. The one hero that was taken out of action fully recovered. I did lose an Ogre henchmen, which sucks.

I really should have continued the battle, two or three more turns and it would have been mine anyway.

On a plus note, my mountain guide suffers from Frenzy, he took out two separate models, this was suprising. He is tough as nails. He had recently gotten a strength bump (5) and a toughness bump (5).
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeSat 6 Apr 2013 - 23:15

Sounds like a fun one, Pervavita. At the moment we are largely playing collaborative games, so it may be awhile before we have a chance to test it out.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeSun 7 Apr 2013 - 14:49

Presuming two players participate in this battle, then the voluntary rout option spoils games when cargo is being kept by fleeing war bands.

i.e, first warband to secure a cargo can flee, take cargo, battle ends, opponent left with victory but no cargo.

Is this the kind of scenario you want to promote? I've always been in two minds about this.

On one hand it's no fun to allow one player to lose the chance to scry for discarded booty but on the flipside it's fitting for some gangs/creatures to behave cravenly.

I've been playing various cargo based games as two player battles and multi-player scenarios. The main one where these principals came into effect were an Illegal Salvage Operation. For this battle there are some lovely perks. Because of the precedent set for Wyrdstone Hunt, I set in a guideline to allow for having a different way to manage the outcome. Namely one warband only will claim their goods based on putting up the best show.

These are some of my thoughts based on playtesting scenarios with cargo objective markers. I am inclined to agree with Pervavita because some yellow-bellied gangs naturally prefer to slink off after grubbing for dregs on the waterfront. And on rare occasions, in the heat of battle, players have been known to recognise when they're beaten... And order a retreat!

Regards,

Werekin
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeSun 7 Apr 2013 - 15:52

Perhaps a rule where a warband that routs has a chance of losing its cargo counters? Roll a d6 for each counter and on a 1 or 2 it was dropped during the panicky flight from the beach.

Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeSun 7 Apr 2013 - 22:35

Quote :

Presuming two players participate in this battle, then the voluntary rout option spoils games when cargo is being kept by fleeing war bands.

i.e, first warband to secure a cargo can flee, take cargo, battle ends, opponent left with victory but no cargo.

Perhaps this happens in the group you play with, but winner take all, no routing scenarios are even less fun. They promote uber warbands that get all the breaks, all the treasure and leave ohter players equally frustrated and likely to give up.

Since we are speaking of precedents, Down on the Docks has a simple rule for keeping cargo (no enemy within its charge range of the captured cargo when the warband routs).

Also awarding unsecured cargo to the victor tends to alieviate any 'I didn't get to stomp you into the ground' pain.

Our group plays a LOT of cargo based scenarios, including a revised Salvage Operation. and the above rules seem to keep everyone coming badk for more.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 8 Apr 2013 - 0:54

Quote :
Perhaps this happens in the group you play with, but winner take all, no routing scenarios are even less fun.

No it doesn't seem to happen that way. This is more of a theoretical gripe that facilitators like ourselves have to deal with from campaign delegates. Numerous players have queried/griped about the effect of voluntary routs on cargo possession.

Like yourself I would like to advocate an approach which doesn't promote the winning warband getting further into the lead via trumping every cargo haul.

Quote :
Since we are speaking of precedents, Down on the Docks has a simple rule for keeping cargo (no enemy within its charge range of the captured cargo when the warband routs).

That's another guideline which I hadn't considered. Simple and effective. Encourages players to best tactics to maximise posturing of warriors.

Thanks for highlighting that VK. Something I overlooked when reviewing the old scenario.

Last edited by werekin on Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 9:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 8 Apr 2013 - 5:50

You are most welcome.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 8 Apr 2013 - 9:35

We've played a rule similar to that stated by mweaver in the past for warbands that voluntarily rout with some form of treasure. However, I really like the idea stated by VK as an easy method for determining how much treasure is kept / lost during a rout. The treasure that is lost is then collected by the victor if the game is finished or dropped in a multiplayer scenario so that it can be collected by other warriors.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 8 Apr 2013 - 17:35

Thank you all for looking it over.
I like VK's sugestion on all unclaimed going to the winner and if your out of charge range and rout you keep the cargo.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 8 Apr 2013 - 20:15

Quote :
Our group plays a LOT of cargo based scenarios, including a revised Salvage Operation.

Any other interesting revisions to your Illegal Salvage Ops?
Back to top Go down
Arli
Veteran
Veteran
Arli

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 8 Apr 2013 - 21:49

Is there a link to the illegal salvage op scenario?

I also need some good multi-warband (probably 3) scenarios as well.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitimeMon 8 Apr 2013 - 21:55

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ship - Ship Wreck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ship Wreck   ship - Ship Wreck Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ship Wreck
Page 1 of 1