Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Beastmen Warband starting out

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GnomesofZurich
Youngblood
Youngblood
GnomesofZurich

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Empty
PostSubject: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeTue 8 Jan 2013 - 0:59

Hello all, new addition to the fourm and new to Mordheim. The first warband I'm planning to assemble is the Beastmen, from Empire in Flames.

I've already ordered a Chieftain and Shaman, but now I need to figure out what other figures to use, and what the composition of the warband will be.

I would like to use a Minotaur, but from what I've read that could be risky, as I would be forced to either run less than a full complement of heroes, or to run without expendable henchmen that could be sacrificed to allow for a voluntary rout.

At least initially I may not be playing strictly WYSIWYG, but we'll see.

I see a few options:
List 1
Chieftain 65 Halberd, Dagger 10 = 75 (perhaps not optimal weapon loadout, but that's what the model is carrying)
Shaman 45 Sword, Mace (Staff) 13 = 58 (ditto)
Bestigor 45 Mace, Dagger 3 = 48
Bestigor 45 Mace, Dagger 3 = 48
Minotaur 200 Hammer, Axe, Dagger 8 = 208
Warhounds * 4 = 60
Total 497

This list gives 9 models, so it will take 3 losses before a leadership test is called for, but only has 4 heroes and none of the henchmen can be upgraded to heroes.

List 2
Chieftain 65 Hammer, Dagger 3 = 68
Shaman 45 Mace (Staff), Dagger 3 = 48
Bestigor 45 Hammer, Dagger 3 = 48
Centigor 80 Hammer, Dagger 3 = 83
Minotaur 200 Hammer, Dagger 3 = 203
Total 498

This list has a full complement of 5 heroes, and a Minotaur, but no expendable henchmen, and the Minotaur cannot be upgraded to a hero. A rout would hurt at this level.

List 3
Chieftain 65 Halberd, Dagger 10 = 75
Shaman 45 Mace (Staff), Dagger 3 = 48
Minotaur 200 Hammer, Dagger 3 = 203
Gor 35 Hammer, Dagger 3 = 38
Gor 35 Mace, Dagger 3 = 38
Total 498

This list only has 4 heroes, and faces a leadership test after 2 losses, but has some expendable henchmen that also have the potential to be upgraded to heroes. Probably the safest of the three.

A really safe list would run the full complement of heroes and 5 Gor, but that would mean no Minotaur. Crying or Very sad

Any thoughts? All of the above is theory based on what I've read. I've never played a game of Mordheim, but am hoping to correct that in the near future.

The other thing I'm debating is which Minotaur figure to use. I'm quite willing to go outside the GW ranges - Mierce Miniatures who I ordered the Chieftain and Shaman from have some nice options, but I am also looking at some of the Confrontation figures (if I can find them), Foundry, Avatars of War and Scibor. Opinions on this are also welcome.
Back to top Go down
tuxedokman
General
General
tuxedokman

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeTue 8 Jan 2013 - 2:49

IMO i would put in a full compliment of 5 chaos hounds. they are cheap and nasty and it gives you fodder to soak up all the arrows your gunna take. they are your front line, and gives you time to move your heroes and henchmen up. i wouldnt go with a minotaur untill a few games in. The more dice you have on the field the better.

and dont worry too much about "but that's what the model is carrying". i've never had anyone complain about what the model is carrying and what my stat sheet says its carrying. so skip the halbred and give him two swords for the +1 parry.

for your shaman, and any other caster in the future you should give them spears, that first strike vs. changes is a life saver.

there's lots of other little revisions i would make but start with those and since this is your first time in mordheim i would just try to have fun and you'll get the meta after a few games.
Back to top Go down
http://neeel.com
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeTue 8 Jan 2013 - 4:32

I love list #1 because it gives you the big guy and some cannon fodder that are pretty useful. Nice idea.

A lot depends on whom you are fighting against if you have that information. If you are facing a lot of shooting a bad roll on the Serious injury chart and its over. I made a list #2 work once against Dwarfs and skaven, but I got fairly lucky early so I doubt my experience was typical. I love having the minotaur early though. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeTue 8 Jan 2013 - 15:56

A minotaur early in the campaign is a HUGE advantage, so I can totally see how List #1 is a fave. After a couple of battles, you'll have some extra gold to hire on some Gor henchmen to be promoted later, as well as another hero for better exploration. Overall, I'd say if this is your goal, then list #1 is your best bet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeTue 8 Jan 2013 - 18:28

List 2 is the worse of them as you have only valuable models and can afford to lose non.
List 1 though with less heroes allows you the hounds and those rock.
List 3 with 2 Gor instead of hounds is good, but the hounds will help more early on.
You could mix list 1 and 3 to get 1 Gor and 2 hounds. you still rout earlier then list 1 but have the Gor to start gaining exp.

As to equipment, you can alter your models to get what you would rather have one them
Back to top Go down
GnomesofZurich
Youngblood
Youngblood
GnomesofZurich

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jan 2013 - 0:02

Thanks for the responses. I was giving it some more thought, and by juggling the equipment a little I can end up with this:

Chieftain 65
Shaman 45
Bestigor 45
Bestigor 45
Minotaur 200
Gor 35
Warhound x 3 45

Everyone (except the Warhounds, obviously) would be initially equipped with Hammer/Mace and Dagger. It has 9 models (3 OOA before rout test), a potential hero candidate in the Gor, and 3 expendable warhounds. I think I'll shoot for this list, and then just upgrade equipment as gold becomes available.

Now just a matter of figuring out which models to get!
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jan 2013 - 0:09

That sounds a reasonable list.

GW has the Gor Heard for cheap that comes with 10 models that are all plastic... This will give you your base "Gor" warband (yes I know you only have one but you can use two of them for your Bestigor's and with a horse or some other animal convert one to your Centigor).

as most of your minis will be gained via mail (your the guy WAY up north right?) I recomend "Miniture Market". This place sells minis cheap and if you spend over $100 USD it's free shipping... they also sell GW minis... about 20-25%.
Back to top Go down
GnomesofZurich
Youngblood
Youngblood
GnomesofZurich

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jan 2013 - 2:30

@ Pervavita:

Yeah, that's me, the guy way up north. I'll take a look at Miniature Market, but often I order from CCG Armory. I wish GW did not have the silly policy that doesn't allow North American retailers to put the product in a shopping cart system, especially now that they've put an end to being able to buy product from the UK. It's policies like that which make me disinclined to buy GW stuff.

I'll probably pick up some Gor and Warhounds, but I suspect my heroes will mostly be sourced elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Spectre76
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Spectre76

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jan 2013 - 2:34

Avatars of War has some GREAT looking models that are on the same scale and decoration as most of GW's stuff. Definitely worth a look.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thetonezone.net
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jan 2013 - 3:23

Reaper has a variety of good models for a Beast warband including cheap plastic minotaurs.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jan 2013 - 18:10

Ya thats a problem with GW, but MM has an order form to make it easier and even with the $5.00 shipping on all orders it's not bad. once you hit like $30 (USD) it pays for it's self. If you get over $100 it's free shipping; at least in the US.
I only buy from my local GW now when it's something i can't get from MM now... MM also sells a lot of other minitures from other venders including Reaper (my back other online store of choice).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beastmen Warband starting out   beastmen - Beastmen Warband starting out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beastmen Warband starting out
Page 1 of 1