Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Some questions on magic and prayers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Some questions on magic and prayers Empty
PostSubject: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitimeMon 6 Feb 2012 - 15:21

1. When do I axactly roll for a first spell/ prayer? When I'am recruiting my spellcaster, before the first battle or when my warband is finished? As it is not specified, I assume that first option would be correct.

2. Does Shield of Faith protects from orc shaman's clubba? The spell:
Quote :
The ectoplasmic club counts as a normal club with +2 Strength bonus and gives the Shaman +1 attack as well.
This spell lasts until the Shaman suffers a wound.
It is not a straight strenght booster such as black fury or hammer of sigmar, it's "magical weapon". So I think it can protect me from this +1(2?)A with +2 S.

3.Priest under hammer of sigmar can causes critical hit. Errata:
Quote :

Q: Can spells cause critical hits?
A: Directly, no. Indirectly, yes. The reference on page 56 to spells not causing critical hits specifically refers to spells that cause direct damage such as Word of Pain. These spells never cause critical hits. However, if a warrior is benefiting from a spell that enhances his ability to fight, such as The Hammer of Sigmar, he will be able to cause critical hits with these attacks.
So I guess, that if I make critical hit with a hammer of sigmar this hit causes 4 wounds. Am I right? If not, can you show me where is it written that hammer can't?

4.When spellcaster is in combat (or not) and has a shooting spell, can he cast it into another combat?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitimeMon 6 Feb 2012 - 15:36

1: I have always done this before the first combat when we are all together so that no one can say I cherry picked the spell I wanted. I go under the same principle as Post game dice rolls; You roll with other players there to confirm your rolls.

4. Only if the spell says it can be cast in H2H can you cast it when in combat. As to when he/she is out of combat and then shooting into a scrap my group plays it the same as a shooting. So your only going to cast it into a fight your guys aren't in.
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitimeMon 6 Feb 2012 - 19:56

1. So it's all about other players seeing me rolling a dice.ok Smile nothing changes in this matter.
4. I don't understand. In fact the only spell that can't be used in cc is arrows of ahra (silver, golden whatever)... This idea with shooting sounds reasonable.
What about 2 and 3?

Last edited by catachanfrog on Mon 6 Feb 2012 - 21:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitimeMon 6 Feb 2012 - 20:48

I would think that if the rules state a lot a few places that you target the largest threat (CC section with striking standing vs knocked down/out models and shooting that you shoot the closest always) that you would then always chose as the model who is also in base contact for spells vs hitting guys who are out of CC with the model.
in short your only going to hit they guy who is in base contact with the spells as they are more likelly to split your skull.

as to 2 and 3, I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
catachanfrog
Elder
Elder
catachanfrog

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitimeMon 6 Feb 2012 - 21:41

Ok Now I understand what you mean. thanks!
Can anybody tell me that I'm right in my reasoning in 2 and 3?It's quite important to me.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitimeMon 6 Feb 2012 - 22:05

1) I agree with Pervavita and we generally roll before the battle. Really it doesn't matter when the roll is done. It would be better for the warband to roll when the spellcaster is hired and if the spellcaster was hired second after the leader than the rest of the warband could be created around usefulness of the spell (e.g. if a necromancer rolls 'resurrection' then the undead warband may start with zombies).
2) I don't know sorry.
3) I don't know sorry but it does sound like it can cause 4 wounds on a critical hit!
4) I believe that all spells can be cast out of close combat (except maybe for Silver Arrows of Ahra as it requires BS). Pervavita has some good points that may provide logical justification for house rules.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Aureus
Veteran
Veteran
Aureus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitimeMon 6 Feb 2012 - 23:53

catachanfrog wrote:

Q: Can spells cause critical hits?
A: Directly, no. Indirectly, yes. The reference on page 56 to spells not causing critical hits specifically refers to spells that cause direct damage such as Word of Pain. These spells never cause critical hits. However, if a warrior is benefiting from a spell that enhances his ability to fight, such as The Hammer of Sigmar, he will be able to cause critical hits with these attacks.
So I guess, that if I make critical hit with a hammer of sigmar this hit causes 4 wounds. Am I right? If not, can you show me where is it written that hammer can't?
ombat?

Eh. This, again. Rolling Eyes

Rulebook, page 16, right under critical hits table "if a critical hit causes more than 1 wound and the weapon attacking model is using normally causes several wounds [as with hammer of Sigmar], then use the one that causes most damage". That should solve it Smile You DO score a critical hit, but, you still cause 2 wounds,(though you have a chance to get +2 bonus to injuries, and thats all).

Quote :

I would think that if the rules state a lot a few places that you target the largest threat (CC section with striking standing vs knocked down/out models and shooting that you shoot the closest always) that you would then always chose as the model who is also in base contact for spells vs hitting guys who are out of CC with the model.
in short your only going to hit they guy who is in base contact with the spells as they are more likelly to split your skull.
It is often stated so, albeit not always. An example here would be fires of U'Zhull lesser magic spell. You just draw a line ( any direction you wish i guess) and the first target in its path is hit. Choosing direction of the line would imply you can shoot freely in and out of combat and still score a hit. Not saying its reasonable,

Oh, that is one really old and boring question, but, orc shaman with clubba has one S5 attack, or two? Meaning: after casting clubba, shaman with sword and dagger has:
a)single attack with sword or dagger and single with clubba (+2S)
or
b) single attack with sword or dagger and two with clubba? (rules state, that clubba acts as a club AND gives +1 attack as well. So, clubba should provide two attacks. One, since it is an additional weapon, and one from +1A bonus stated in clubba rules)

I think its the "b" option. Sword of rezhebel also gives +1 A, and I haven't seen no one arguing that a warlock has one attack with flaming sword and one with staff tongue

Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitimeTue 7 Feb 2012 - 3:01

Quote :
2. Does Shield of Faith protects from orc shaman's clubba? The spell:

Quote:
Quote :
The ectoplasmic club counts as a normal club with +2 Strength bonus and gives the Shaman +1 attack as well.
This spell lasts until the Shaman suffers a wound.

It is not a straight strenght booster such as black fury or hammer of sigmar, it's "magical weapon". So I think it can protect me from this +1(2?)A with +2 S.
I would argue that Shield of Faith protects you from having spells cast upon you, not from the effects of spells cast upon others. However the rules as written are at best often vague and overly broad in their language, thus I think it would be best if your group made a ruling and stuck to it.

Quote :
4.When spellcaster is in combat (or not) and has a shooting spell, can he cast it into another combat?
Several spells mention that if cast in hand to hand they must hit the caster's close combat opponent. If the caster is not in combat he may cast the spell into a combat as long as he follows the criteria of the spell. Note that most spells will affect the first model in its path... No mention of friend or foe.

As for the +1 attack from Clubba, we have always played that the club must be allocated 2 attacks and any mundane weapon in the off hand adds one attack as normal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some questions on magic and prayers   Some questions on magic and prayers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some questions on magic and prayers
Page 1 of 1