Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Help on terrain measurements

Go down 
+2
Pervavita
Arcuballis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Arcuballis
Hero
Hero
Arcuballis

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

Help on terrain measurements Empty
PostSubject: Help on terrain measurements   Help on terrain measurements Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov 2011 - 19:34

Well, I´ve just joined this wonderful forum and after my "greetings post", would like to start on with my questions to you guys... Laughing

Well, after deciding to start playing Mordheim with my friends, we realised that besides the obvious warband making, we need tons of terrain, as we only play 40k. So I took this job and bought loads of balsa wood strips, foamboard, plasticard and some bits'n'bobs to make my buildings fancier and with that "mordheimy" feeling... But when I started to cut the foamboard a question arised: what´s the best measurements are to make mordheim terrain?

Basically I need your input and help not only on the best basic footprint of the buildings to make a beautiful table with lots of useable gaming space to some guidelines on sizes for doors, windows, space between floors (height), etc... Since Warhammer miniatures uses sometimes a weird scale (heroic scale), I´m trying to avoid making buildings too big with doors too small... Cool

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Cheers,

Arcuballis
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Help on terrain measurements   Help on terrain measurements Icon_minitimeThu 10 Nov 2011 - 19:49

I have used 3 in tall for each floor (hight) and 2.5 in for door ways. Windows i vary based on my desire. Though i know my hight for floors and doors is too short for some larger races (Orcs/possessed) i go off of the concept that these are man made buildings so scaled to men.

I also use due to price Popsicle sticks for my floors (wood boards) though a little more work to deal with in this then Balsa Wood it saves a lot of $$$.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Help on terrain measurements   Help on terrain measurements Icon_minitimeFri 11 Nov 2011 - 11:02

Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Dribble Joy
Veteran
Veteran
Dribble Joy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Help on terrain measurements   Help on terrain measurements Icon_minitimeFri 11 Nov 2011 - 11:55

3" is widely regarded/used as the standard height for floor levels in most 25mm scale wargames.

Mordheim, Necromunda, 40K, WHFB, etc. pretty much all use it.
Back to top Go down
weeble1000
Hero
Hero
weeble1000

PostSubject: Re: Help on terrain measurements   Help on terrain measurements Icon_minitimeFri 11 Nov 2011 - 19:56

I use 2 inches for floor height. It is a little squat in terms of gaming, but 3 inches is almost three times as tall as a human at 28mm. It would be like if all of us lived in buildings with 15 foot ceilings.

This height is a little short for larger races, but when I make a ruined building, every higher floor has a slightly smaller or offset surface area than the floor below it. This allows one easier access to the floors, but it also gives a little wiggle room for models that are too tall for a floor or are posed in a very dynamic manner with spears or two-handed weapons.

I like my Mordheim table to look like it is filled with sagging, ruined houses huddled together on winding streets. The shorter floors help to create a visual sense that the buildings are cramped and crowded. Now, I also like to build lots of balconies and other areas that aren't covered by a ceiling or roof. Again, this helps to create areas where larger models can be placed in elevated positions.

If you are trying to make your table dynamic, I suggest using different levels of elevation, both with structures like houses and with variously-sized platforms on which additional terrain can be placed. These platforms can be used to simulate canals, sewers, different street levels, etc. (http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com/2008/07/09/gold-mordheim-terrain/) this is a good example of what I'm talking about.

I also suggest making stairs, ladders, and bridges that aren't connected to another piece of terrain. That way you can set up your table however you like and your terrain pieces aren't railroaded into a certain configuration.

Typically what my group does is set up buildings how we want them to be and then we evenly distribute ladders, stairs, ropes, etc. and take turns placing them around the table. This way both players get a say in which buildings are easy to access from which point.

In terms of building footprint, What I've been doing is constructing my ruined buildings on small bases that are just about a half inch larger than the perimeter of the lowest level. For the lowest level, I use all kinds of sizes, but the most common rage between 5 and 8 inches or thereabouts. Then I tier the higher levels. This is of course a very Mordheimish aesthetic, but what it also does is allow you to jam two adjacent buildings together (so you can run across rooftops, jump between windows, etc.) while still leaving room at the "street" level for models to move around (because the buildings wider upper stories are what's touching).

On a final note, I suggest putting windows in your buildings, but leaving some walls without windows and putting the windows in some houses farther apart. The reason is that this helps to create areas that block LOS, which I think is important to help balance the relative strength of primarily ranged warbands. You are probably used to doing the same thing with your 40K terrain. The reason I mention it is because folks can sometimes get window happy when making houses. Oftentimes in a Mordheim game, most of the terrain on the table consists of houses, and if every one has windows all around on every floor, you might find yourself wishing you had a hill to hide behind.
Back to top Go down
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help on terrain measurements   Help on terrain measurements Icon_minitimeSat 12 Nov 2011 - 5:54

I prefer something closer to 2 1/2" for floor to ceiling height in my buildings.

Advice: make a small building or just a corner of a building and see what you like. Do not start off your first project with some massive building, experiment first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help on terrain measurements   Help on terrain measurements Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help on terrain measurements
Page 1 of 1