Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Witch Hunters Kit Bash

Go down 
+3
Grimscull
DeafNala
qboid
7 posters
AuthorMessage
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

Trading Reputation : 0

Witch Hunters Kit Bash Empty
PostSubject: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011 - 11:10

I need some advice here please.

I have decided my second warband for the upcoming campaign will be Witch Hunters.
This will give me lots of modelling opportunities, which is good as my gaming partner in crime is out of the country for a while.

The Flagellants kit will take care of the Flagellants and Zealots.

But what kits should i buy for the Witch Hunters?
If i could get away with two kits, that would be good, but it already appears as though i will have to get the Pistoliers box for all the pistol arms i want.

Archers? State Troops? Great Swords?

Is there one box (not Militia as they are a bit dull) that would give me suitable bodies, varied heads and poses?

Or do i need to bite the bullet and get three?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011 - 12:53

You don't necessarily have to buy a whole box just for some pieces; there are a number of on-line shops that sell individual parts. The one I'm familiar with in the USA is T.he War Store; however, you can find a list of the various on-line bits stores here:

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t821-bits-stores

I hope that will be of some help.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011 - 13:12

First of all, you could take a look at bitz stores for a better overview of what is in which box:
http://www.bitsbay.it/category.php~idx~~~305~~The+Empire~.html
http://bitspudlo.com/t/category/101-empire-bits
You might also consider Bretonian Men at Arms:
http://bitspudlo.com/t/category/200-bretonnian-men-at-arms

Second: does it really have to be two or three boxes for your couple of heroes? You might consider just browsing Reaper for some very character- and colourful heroes (if you don't know Reaper):
http://www.reapermini.com/
They have every combination of race, class, armor, weapons and equipment possible.

If you want to stick to Empire kits, here is what I think are the pros and cons of each:
Archers: best variety in poses, but no armor and only bows and swords.
Handgunners: the omnipotent crossbows, some pistols, some close combat weapons, but the poses are dull (and the crossbows aren't sculpted well)
State troops: all the CC-weapons you need, the poses are dull imo (which is fine for WHFB, but not MH)
Great Swords: might be good for late game heroes, with lots of armor, but the poses are dull, little variety in weapons choice, expensive)

So, I'd probably go with archers and handgunners. You could get some more pistols from the bitz stores.

Are you going to get hounds btw?
Back to top Go down
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011 - 14:14

I did look at bitzbox etc, but the price they charge for individual bits means i had just as well buy boxes, make my Witch Hunters, and probably be able to do Pirates or Mercs with what i have left.

Also, looking at the sprue pics doesn't really give you any idea about what bits are going to fit together, i think i need to have the choice of bits and blue tack them on before committing to glueing.

I am decided on making them as original as possible, so that's why i don't want to buy set miniatures, i want to have the fun, and practice, of modelling them.

Thanks Grimscull for the run down on the kits, that's exactly the sort of info i am looking for.
I ruled out Brettonian kits as they seem to be one pose per box.

For warhounds i have ordered these

http://store.warlordgames.co.uk/mastiffs-pack-1334-p.asp

Back to top Go down
Kaptain Dedgob
Veteran
Veteran
Kaptain Dedgob

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011 - 15:45

I find the original mordheim mercenary kit the most versatile for all kinds of human conversion. These days it goes by the name of Empire Free Company. I'd recommend getting that and using them as a basis. They're great for making pirates as well.
Back to top Go down
Azmodan
Champion
Champion
Azmodan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeSat 20 Aug 2011 - 13:35

hey

I would agree to what Cap Dedgob said: the best foundation for a warband would be the militia box.
you said you don't like it, but the bodies really do fit best for witchhunters plus the box gives you a lot of options to arm your guys (including x-bows and some cool pistols, that can be very versatile bits if you just cut the pistol hands off and glue them to other arms)
with some green stuff and bits from other imperial boxes (every one of them contains at least some cool bits) you can create some very individual guys.
Back to top Go down
http://mymortheim.blogspot.com/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeSat 20 Aug 2011 - 14:12

For bodies I would recommend the Archer box. The box has the best poses and the archers are much better dressed than you would expect. I'd check out the other converted witch hunter threads for ideas.
For versitile bitz the Militia box can not be beat, but the bodies are more suited to mercs or pirates than witch hunters. As far as getting bitz, you could also check the trading section of this forum and see if you can find a deal there.

Good choice for hounds!
Back to top Go down
qboid
Elder
Elder
qboid

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug 2011 - 11:10

Cheers, looks like archers and pistoliers it is then, with a box, or just some, bits from the State Troops.
Since our new campaign probably wont be starting till December at the earliest i have lots of time to buy and model stuff.
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug 2011 - 17:14

Good choice. Just keep us updated on the progress!
Back to top Go down
flipchuck
Elder
Elder
flipchuck

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2011 - 18:58

I do recomand in getting at least 1 greatsword model. They are great for models with a double handed weapon. Buying one of the recent warrior priest models (with the heavy armour and either 2 hammers or the 2 handed hamer) is a great model for your warrior priest.

As for the actual witch hunters, state troops with the armour on and a bearded head usally works. If you are feeling adventures like I did. Buy one of the more recent commissiar models (with the trench coat unbunttioned) and convert. replace the 40k pistol with an Empire one and swap the head for a warhammer fantasy one. The militia box had some great bodies for Zelots. Just give them Fellagent heads.

Old style plastic Dire Wolves are great for War hounds if you can find them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Witch Hunters Kit Bash   Witch Hunters Kit Bash Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Witch Hunters Kit Bash
Page 1 of 1