Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

What's the deal with Coreheim?

Go down 
+10
mweaver
Tintin
cianty
BalrogTheBuff
StyrofoamKing
shotguncoffee
RationalLemming
Murray145
Daggermaw
Alcaeus
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's the deal with Coreheim?   coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011 - 8:09

shotguncoffee wrote:
(2) Thank you all for being civil and mature in discussing a topic that all too often makes people attack each other for no reason at all. Nice going you guys Smile

Well, your FACE makes people attack each other for no reason- OOOOH! BURNED! sunny
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Tintin
Warlord
Warlord
Tintin

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: What's the deal with Coreheim?   coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011 - 17:17

StyrofoamKing wrote:
shotguncoffee wrote:
(2) Thank you all for being civil and mature in discussing a topic that all too often makes people attack each other for no reason at all. Nice going you guys Smile

Well, your FACE makes people attack each other for no reason- OOOOH! BURNED! sunny

*Puts on flame retardant suit and starts looking for that flammenwerfer*
Back to top Go down
feelingfine69
Hero
Hero
feelingfine69

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: What's the deal with Coreheim?   coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jul 2011 - 3:46

There was a massive coreheim thread around a year and a half back started by Asp, people should check that out if you ask me. Shocked

A friend of mine swears by a couple of Coreheims rules but for me i find the movement changes in particular a bother, its too slow IMO. The 6" range spell stuff and the lack of long ranged weapons also bug me. Its like in order to create a ballanced tabletop wargame we have to accept that long ranged weapons can be abused and thus nerf them down to fit in. Generic lists, no sisters, no orcs, no random encounters, which lead me onto the next part...

Personally I never noticed Mordheim being so inbalanced until I discovered forums and stuff on the internet. Before then i was blissfully unaware haha. Our group uses the standard +1 Armour / -1 when using 2 weapons mods and we get along fine. In fact its the crazy randomness of mordheim that has given our group the most memorable moments, like when an entire Middenheimer warband was caught up by a magic temping evil fruit tree from the random encounter chart, which took them out of the 4-way multiplayer battle. Or when a hero walked through a doorway only to disapear into the realm of chaos (rules where on the old SG site). He returned D6 games later, but was a changed man (stats included!), had a familiar, and had journeyed years to the very edges of his own sanity (which was only a week or so for everyone else who thought he was dead). Mental.

I also agree with Cianty, why not go that extra distance and write some fluff for yourselves thus taking it away from these comparison debates and such. Its like you purposely distanced yourselves from GW lore but in doing so you lost the fluff and the flavour of Mordheim. Get writing! Draw us in because at the moment its just a bunch of simplified rules. There was also the whole bad taste Sisters of Sigmar jokes you guys had up on your site, which sickened me IMO. I know that turned a lot of people away as well, and if you ask me, that is part of the reason Coreheim has such a bad rep with some folk.
Back to top Go down
Alcaeus
Champion
Champion
Alcaeus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: What's the deal with Coreheim?   coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jul 2011 - 7:59

I played 2 games of Coreheim yesterday, and I have to agree with things you've said. I have two major beefs right now: the movement is too slow and some spells are overpowered (silver arrows, the "xtra strenght and every wound is a criticial" spell,..). The thing that actually kept the game interesting was the scenarios taken from Mordheim (and my 20 point Goblin henchman surviving the entire game despite being continuously knocked down in combat with 3 humans and being shot by the scenario's necromancer the entire game, eventually killing a heavily armoured and barded mercenary captain with his dagger.). I have to play some more to get a decent view of the rules though.
Back to top Go down
shotguncoffee
Warlord
Warlord
shotguncoffee

PostSubject: Re: What's the deal with Coreheim?   coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jul 2011 - 16:06

Alcaeus: That's some great feedback. If you take a look here, you'll see that the authors are already implementing some of it (as other players have said the same): http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97 but if you'd drop your suggestions in there, I'm sure they will listen Very Happy

feelingfine69: As you can see, the movement is scheduled to be increased to 7".

FYI: LOTR, which is GWs most sucesful skirmish game has a standard movement of 6"
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: What's the deal with Coreheim?   coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jul 2011 - 4:22

I haven't played Coreheim yet, but I have read the rules and I read posts from the author here and there on Warseer. I get the impression that it is essentially a rewrite of the game as a reaction to the balance issues that Asp's group found to be problematic, and as a result other people around the 'net will like aspects of it (many people run into the same balance issues with Mordheim) and dislike other aspects of it, since some of the fixes are issues unique to his group.

FWIW, I think if your group thinks it plays well and you're alright with the changes then there's really no reason not to use it if you've run into balance issues with Mordheim in the past. You could also use it for inspiration in writing your own house rules, and cherry-pick some of the aspects you like best.

Quote :
Personally I never noticed Mordheim being so inbalanced until I discovered forums and stuff on the internet.
Hahaha, that's my group to a T. We didn't (and mostly still don't) play the numbers game at all, and instead went for "cool" warbands with expensive and fancy gear, fun hired swords, and usually as a result relatively low numberes. That's why it ultimately doesn't really appeal to me - we like the complexity of Mordheim even it that does in some cases lend to balance issues.
Back to top Go down
whiskeytango
Warlord
Warlord
whiskeytango

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: What's the deal with Coreheim?   coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Aug 2011 - 4:15

shotguncoffee wrote:

To be fair, I feel like alot of the arguments that come up (at least on warseer) are because Asp (whom I like in general) comes off as a really smarmy, intrusive salesman sometimes. Its like every single thread that comes up, he jumps in and starts pushing his own product. I understand being proud of what he's invented, but at some point people are going to get tired of hearing about it when its unsolicited.

I tried coreheim a couple times, and I wasn't crazy about it for alot of the same reasons that have been posted here, but I can understand why other people like it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the deal with Coreheim?   coreheim - What's the deal with Coreheim? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's the deal with Coreheim?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2