Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!

Go down 
+10
Pfreck
floedebolle
werekin
Mephysto
Nastyogre
DeafNala
smokezombie
Mo!
folketsfiende
Hadriel Caine
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Empty
PostSubject: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 3:11

Hello once more people of Tom's!

Those of you that were following my first thread will know that I had a second warband in mind. I decided to start a new thread as my miniatures turned up today having been shipped over to the UK from the US of A.

I have made the slightly off centre decision to build and paint a warband of Fimir, using Blood Moon miniatures 'bog raiders'. Looking at the store now they are out of stock, guess I got the last of the casting.

Without further ado let me show you what I have been working on today:

Fimir Leader
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01900
Rear

Fimir 1
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01904

Fimir 2
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01898
Rear

Fimir 3
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01902
Rear

Group Shot
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01905

and a scale shot (these guys are BIG) with... hey I recognise that chap. Wrong thread mate, these guys aren't friendly....

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01906

The variety in these miniatures is exciting. I still have 5 more to assemble and base. Then I will have a LOT of green stuff work to carry out. There are a lot of gaps to fill, fish to sculpt etc.

I think I'm going to use the beastmen rules for these guys unless anyone has any suggestions. I was tempted by Orcs but I couldn't do Gobbos with them easily...

The basing is done using parts from the dryads, random bits of slate, match sticks as planks of wood and lots of various bitz and pieces from my ubiquitous bitz box. Skulls, knives, pouches and scrolls make these guys look much better in the Mordheim setting in my opinion.

so, that's your lot until at least tomorrow.

cheers

Adam

Last edited by Hadriel Caine on Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:33; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 9:08

I'm really looking forward to see more of these. Your painting style and skills should make these models a treat.

These are well done sculpts btw, good dynamic posing etc. How much of it is predetermined so to speak, how much could you influence?
Back to top Go down
Mo!
Ancient
Ancient

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 12:19

Wow these are somuch more nice than i thought! Personally I would play them as possessed... they are really evil and chaosy including spell casting seems rather important and fluffy... but beastmen seems appropriate too... or blackorcs Smile wow this could go all over the place!
Back to top Go down
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 13:34

They look tough. Beastmen sounds right to me too ( s4 t4 heros), if you can find som )e nice proxy minis for the minotaur, centigor ( zoat?) and the hounds.
I'm looking forward to seeing them done,I'm sure you will make them look great.

( bog raiders lol is that like cottaging? Shocked )
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011 - 13:45

VERY COOL MINIS! They definitely have the feral feel of Beastmen. These Guys from Bronze Age might work as a Minataur: http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/32MM/SCI-FI/Wasteland%20Mutant/Wasteland-Mutant.htm ...or not. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011 - 12:57

Thanks for the great feedback and interest!

@folketsfiende- I was able to influence quite a lot because the metal is much more malleable than that used by GW. The weapons tended to be quite flimsy so I've replaced them with GW parts where necessary. This has served to make them look appropriate alongside other GW minis too.

@Mo!- Good idea... I'll have a look at the various lists over the weekend.

@smokezombie- Zoat isn't a bad Idea. I really like the idea of non Beastman centaurs in fantasy. I might have a look into making a celtic looking one... I was thinking maybe kroot hounds for the warhounds. I already have one from an Inquisitor project...

@DeafNala- thanks! I was thinking I might use a river troll as a minotaur. Not sure why, just think it would fit in with the marsh dwelling aspect.

Without further ado here's some more pictures:

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01908
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01909
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01910
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01911
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01912

second group of five finished:
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01913

full warband (less beasties)
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01914

Just got to wait for the PVA to dry on the bases then I can spray them up and do a tester.

cheers

Adam
Back to top Go down
Nastyogre
Veteran
Veteran
Nastyogre

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011 - 14:27

The sword on Fimir#3?? Where is that from?
Back to top Go down
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran
Mephysto

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011 - 18:13

So far: Excellent. Smile
I have not known those source miniatures (or that manufacturer) until your post, but they look lovely, and judging from the liberal use of bits and plastic parts, you must have had a good time converting them to what they are now. Very Happy
Counting them as beastmen seems reasonable to me, too - replacement goblins (or squigs Razz) would indeed prove a bit of a stretch ...

I will definitely be following this thread, too, and am looking forward to seeing the band growing and painted. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar 2011 - 21:24

@Nastyogre- the sword is from the plastic bloodletters.
@Mephysto- thanks very much. I'm looking forward to painting them having primed them this evening:

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01917
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2011 - 11:22

Cool thread. These warriors belong at the bottom of the Cursed Marsh! I'm going to post something about them on my blog next week. Wink

Regards,

Werekin.
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
smokezombie
Warlord
Warlord
smokezombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeSun 27 Mar 2011 - 11:50

I love the Fimir with the crosbow, he looks happpy as Larry with his big cheesy grin.
I'm quite taken with the idea of this warband.
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeFri 1 Apr 2011 - 14:01

@werekin- cool! link me when its up Smile
@smokezombie- I thought he looked quite pleased with himself too!

I was going to do some painting this week but ended up recommencing my Dark Eldar. Which is unsurprising; I always paint the things I had planned not to. Mordheim was a distraction from 40k and INQ in the first place!

I'll probably get bored of purple soon and tackle a test model for the Fimir.
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeFri 1 Apr 2011 - 17:45

Lovely minis , fimir should been taken up by gw again, they do have so much fantasy spirit. A shame they stopped 'em. Lookin forward to see them painted, floedebolle

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeSun 3 Apr 2011 - 20:58

Well then @floedebolle- here we go!

Fimir test mini:

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01958

Side
Back
Side

Rust
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01962

Scale shot
Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01963

Hopefully you can piece together the actual colours by looking through all of the pics Smile

more soon I hope.

Adam
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeMon 4 Apr 2011 - 16:22

Hej hadriel, thats the spirit!Wink
The fimir turned our fantastic, you even left his skin a bit shiney, looks like he comes fresh from the water/Bog. And i also like the way you painted the hellebard, nice way to make rust. And the little contrast in red, all in all : Fantastic work!Carry on!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran
Mephysto

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeMon 4 Apr 2011 - 16:40

Superb work indeed! Very lively and lovely. thumbsupI love you
The Empire's girls should be afraid ... cyclopspale
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeMon 4 Apr 2011 - 17:05

VERY WELL DONE! The rust effect is SPECTACULAR. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Pfreck
Warlord
Warlord
Pfreck

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeMon 4 Apr 2011 - 18:04

I love Fimir! You've done an excellent job on these. I especially like the addition of plastic bits, it makes them look even more unique. Lovely miniatures, looking forward to see more painted!
Back to top Go down
http://pfreck.tumblr.com
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeThu 7 Apr 2011 - 17:37

Thanks very much chaps! What a lovely response Smile I'm excited about painting the others now. The first guy only took an hour and a half so the warband should progress quite quickly.

I'm currently watching a Dark Shadows Fen Beast on eBay in case I decided I need a minotaur....

I'm glad people like the slightly wet looking flesh and the rust; I'm trying to broaden my painting techniques at the moment using washes and more wet blending. Its going ok so far, no minis I've felt like chucking out or completely repainting, yet...

I've just moved home for the Easter break so I have plenty of free time over the next couple of weeks. Although I promised myself I'd do some Dark Eldar... So close to finishing my army. For those that haven't sen them:

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! PICT1364

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! DSC01937

just because I can :p
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011 - 19:27

These look fantastic. You've got your own painting style sir and the quality is there.

I am disappointed you haven't managed to lay your hands on any Citadel Fimir because your work is painted, posed, and converted better than anything else I've seen that is like it.

Look forward to seeing some more of your work anyhow. Some variations in skin-tones would be excellent! Greys, and browns work well with ogre flesh I have discovered. I don't imagine all Fimir being green-skinned when they are a different beast to the orc.

If you want to go the extra 9 yards there is always the challenge of stippling paint onto the miniatures, to create a 'mottling' effect. Wink

Regards,

Werekin
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011 - 11:00

oh werekin. You do like to make life difficult don't you. I now have to try a mottled effect and different skin tones (I was thinking about albinos for the bestigor in fact) I'm going to look at some amphibians on google images now for inspiration.

I'm going to grab a couple of the plastic citadel fimir don't worry but I don't think the metal ones are available readily enough to be in my price range.

My painting process for the tester was:

Black undercoat
Scorched brown heavy drybrush
Dark Flesh Drybrush
Dark FLesh/ Dhenab Stone drybrush
Thraka Green Wash x2
wet blending with above palette, the thraka green wash on the model and goblin green.

I think a grey skinned one would look good too. Kinda like the LoTR Cave trolls....

curses I was working hard on uni stuff....
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011 - 1:13

Not a fan of goblin green. Catachan green I really like. Dark angels green mixes well with Ultramarines blue to make a nice teal shade. This is the latest addition to my preferred core palette of colours, which is all rather rustic, neutral and earthy in tone.
Back to top Go down
Zanko
Youngblood
Youngblood
Zanko

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Chaos Dwarfs (BTB) Chaos Dwarfs (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeSun 17 Apr 2011 - 13:10

Your Fimir look awesome!

Cool paint scheme and great conversions!

I really like the Blood Moon Minis!

Much more than the original GW ones -they are much too bulcky imo!

Here are mine which are DoW in my Chaos Dwarf army:

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Bogs21

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Bogs22

Perhaps I will buy some more and convert them!
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeTue 19 Apr 2011 - 14:34

Great conversions and painting, i was unsure of the quality of these models but now i can see they are excellent! I was going to buy the bog raiders and make a warband for mordheim but you beat me to it!

I was also caught up on what rules to use, orcs or beastmen. Somewhere i read that there is a breed of gnoblar called boglars that trade with the bog monsters, i think as a nod to the old fimir. So with orc rules the goblins could be boglars and troll could be a swamp monster thing... like the fenbeast.

Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Captain
Captain
Hadriel Caine

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011 - 0:42

Cool! continued interest! cheers guys.
nice Fimir Zanko Smile

Dubstyles... I think I remember the boglars. Sure there was a WD article about all the different goblins and gnoblars. Will dig that out. possibly the one after the OK release.

Real life interfered with this project again but I might be closer to having a job/ being recognised world over so thats probably worth while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!   Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hide your women folk... UPDATE: 2nd painted!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next