Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Ogre warband

Go down 
+6
Pathfinder Dubstyles
FKSN
Grimscull
DeafNala
Figgy
drakkol
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

ogre - Ogre warband Empty
PostSubject: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011 - 21:12

Hi to all! I'm working to "win" a local contest. I didn't find any official rule so...i'm using this a a reference guide.

It must represent an evolute band so...i tought to use a captain, one mountain guide with one sabretusk, a couple of gnoblars, a bull with mortar, a couple of youngbloods and a couple of half-growns.

These are my "almost completed" models...

Fa-Ton,my first half-grown:
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3309n.th
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3308.th

Lurd, a sort of overgrown gnoblar:
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3032n.th

and Lard, the unlucky one, with his pet, Sui-lo (also known as "the Mandarine"):
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3301m.th

I'm waiting for bits i've ordered a month ago (but it seems that USA-Italy it's a LOOOOOONG trip...or maybe italian customs are VEEEEEEERY slow...) to finish this band...its boss will be sculpted starting from a minotaur body...

Any comment/suggestion/idea/feedback...will be useful. Thanks Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drakkols-workshop/294017540629240
Figgy
Elder
Elder
Figgy

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeThu 13 Jan 2011 - 22:01

Well. I have to say your greenstuff work is amazing and I love the way you have the weapons on your ogre! Superb!

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011 - 0:55

As always VERY COOL & IMAGINATIVE WORK...not necessarily in that order! The Gnoblars appeal to my Goblin-mania; while I love both Lurd is my favorite. The Half Grown Guy is GREAT! What did you use for his legs? Caveat: once you let me know, I fully intend to steal the idea. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011 - 15:18

Thanks a lot to both of you guys. I really appreciate. Very Happy
To make Fa-Ton legs i've used the lower part of an old black ork GW model...do you remember the one with sword and axe?

ogre - Ogre warband Img46a8c3ef77974

caveat? lol...i'll use a "cave canem" sign for my mountain guide with one sabretusk ^_^
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011 - 16:33

COOL! Thanks for the info...Tom the A actually sent me that mini. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeFri 21 Jan 2011 - 10:50

After about a month...my minis arrived!
Here are a couple of bits i made for this band: cannons.
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3318u.th
Why are they this small? The idea is simple. Fractals. Ogre with cannon, gnoblar with a little cannon, smaller gnoblar with a smaller cannon Laughing

...and...here is my captain, near Fa-Ton. I'll dress it with tilean or imperial stuff and it'll be equipped with bo, sword and knife. I'm wondering about giving it a shield or not. Here it is...
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3316b.th
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeFri 21 Jan 2011 - 12:02

I must admit that I don't like the Fa-Ton model. I hope you appriciate my honesty. The scale is just terribly off, lower body is WAY smaller than the rest. I'd probably just have used the beardless heads on normal ogre-bulls to represent the half-grown. Especially since you don't use regular bulls for the full-growns (captain) as it seems. The captain btw I like a lot. Needs some conversions of course, but he is a TRUE beast. I probably would even keep the rat-ogre's hair on the upper body to represent chest-hair etc.
And I'm looking forward to the Fractal-canoneers.
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeFri 21 Jan 2011 - 13:04

Thanks Grimscull for your honesty. I appreciate it. If someone have to concern about something I'd love to know. It's impossible to have a complete band that everyone likes in all its aspects, but i'd like to talk about those particulars. Maybe a better idea than mine could come out.

I have to explain my choices.

1)Fa-Ton is out of scale because of this description:
"...Any underdeveloped Ogres risks meeting a sticky end. These half grown brutes are slain at the hands of traditionalist tirants as runts represents weakness in the tribe. Migrating renegades will seek refuge in a weaker herd or take up arms in their exile for whoever keeps them. ..." (taken from tha last page of the pdf linked in first post)
I've interpreted those words in 2 ways: half-growns could be both "not completely developed"(as they were in retard) and "not uniformly developed"(some sort of "freak")...the last one is Fa-Ton. If this explanation doesn't change your mind...you are free to think that it's an ugly mini. I'll have noting to complain about and i'll respect your idea. Smile

2)i'll use normal ogres to make the mountain guide and the bull with mortar (maybe I have to say the "cow" with mortar...as the bull ogre will be a "she"). I'm using a minotaur body for my captain just because i want a BIG boss for that band. It'll be completely dressed...as i said.

3)fractal-cannoneers will follow the bull with mortar, a sort of ironic imitation lol!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeFri 21 Jan 2011 - 13:30

As Rickey Nelson put it: "You can't please everyone; so you've got to please yourself."
Now then, I REALLY LIKE Fa-Ton. The out of proportion look seems natural for the genre; i.e., Ogres, Orc(k)s, Goblins, & ,to a lesser extent, Dwarves have a caricature/cartoon quality about them which is enhanced by things that are not quite right or in proportion. PLUS, he's rather reminiscent of my Ubergoblins with their Orc torsos & arms perched on Goblin legs...I once knew a Guy from Louisiana who had the same body proportions, but that was a matter of generations of inbreeding.
That said, I LOVE the way your War Band is developing...of course, I also LOVE your sculpting style.
Keep posting your FINE WORK as the Band progresses...this Old Man is looking forward to it. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 12:36

thumbsup

@Grimscull:I'd like to have your opinion after my explanation Wink

Here are some pics
"front"
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3321g.th
"rear"
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3322k.th
"in pieces"
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3323l.th
in theese photos you can see his pike (an evolution oh his original Bo, taken from his homeland) and his katzbalger (The most common translation is "cat-gutter"...)

Here you can see him while training a would-be pikeman, at noble Ulrich Von Streutzenburg's service. Poor Alfred(the would-be pikeman)...
lol! ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3325x.th

I have to work on some details...as another feather on his cap, some more armature...and last but not least...his shirt
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 13:51

VERY IMPRESSIVE! It's not so much a conversion as a total transformation...the original Ogre is more or less just an armature. He's much more intimidating than the pudgy original. The Green Stuff work is giving him a proper Landsknecht character. The katzbalger & the pike look TERRIFIC...I love the cross piece on the pike.As always, GREAT WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
FKSN
Warlord
Warlord
FKSN

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 15:03

That mino-to-ogre conversion is genious ^^
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 20:41

Very impressive! I can't wait to see more
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 21:35

WOW man, what greenstuff skills, fantastic, love em, due to the fact that i am an ogre fan too. My favorite is the landsknecht ogre, superbe! I did one too once, have a look, and let me hear what have to say to him, would like to hear your opinion: https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t4114-floedebolle-proudly-presents-herr-totmacher-imperial-ogre

greetings, floedebolle

cant wait to see em painted!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 21:56

Thanks a lot to all! Embarassed
Tonight i'm gonna work on his shirt...

@Deafnala: the cross piece on the pike has an important role in his fighting technique...do you imagine why? What a Face

@floedebolle:Herr Totmacher is really nice! It's almost exactly what i had in mind when i started working on my model.. an imperial ogre...brute as an ogre...well dressed as any imperial bodyguard coul be!
lol!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 22:15

drakkol wrote:
@Deafnala: the cross piece on the pike has an important role in his fighting technique...do you imagine why? What a Face

Well...with a boar spear the cross piece is to prevent the boar, who's generally either too stupid or plain bloody minded to recognize the fact that he's dead, from pushing his way up the spear & doing a number on his tormentor. With the Ogre I get a picture of it serving as an aid to launching his victim either over his shoulder or using said victim as a missile weapon. Of course, finding out the actual reason should be enlightening. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 22:26

Oh right, I didn't post a reply to your explanation. I admit to not having read the actual description of the half-grown. Had just thought them to be the Ogre-Youngbloods. Now the model makes a lot more sence and your captain proves that you have the skills to get the scale any way you'd wished.
The captain truely is impressive. Better than any of the GW-Maneaters imo. Is he going to get fully closed or are you going to leave him in the state he is now?
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 22:40

@DeafNala: Yes...you did two perfect shots! affraid Both your explanations are right! thumbsup

@Grimscull: Don't worry...a forum is a place in which talk and debate about every aspect of our hobby. Wink
I think i'll add him last part of his shirt on his torso...but i have not a clear idea for his armour...

better add a chest plate or not?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 1 Feb 2011 - 23:04

drakkol wrote:
@DeafNala: Yes...you did two perfect shots! affraid Both your explanations are right! thumbsup

It's unusual for moi to get even one in a row right...two in a row is unheard of. clown

drakkol wrote:
I think i'll add him last part of his shirt on his torso...but i have not a clear idea for his armour...

better add a chest plate or not?

You could give him a breast plate worn under his shirt...this was a fairly common Renaissance style. What a Face
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 13:28

I've decided to add a part of plate armor...just like every imperial pikeman...as Alfred and the others
...only a bit more detailed.
ogre - Ogre warband Dscf3326v.th

Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 13:38

VERY COOL! He is MOST DEFINITELY the CLASSIEST Ogre I've ever seen. GREAT WORK! thumbsup
While I was at it, I checked out you Squigs...they look TERRIFIC! They're much more intimidating than their smaller Citadel brethren. You are one TALENTED DUDE! What a Face
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 13:47

Thanks Al! Very Happy A friend of mine asked to sculp him 10-15 squigs...those two are my first attempt. I've not the original model but i'm trying to make mine bigger, as if they were older. I'm very happy you like them Very Happy I'll wait his "ok" to go on and make the last 8-13
lol!
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 16:09

Ah, there are the Squigs, just found them. Yes, they look scary, what is this brown stuff one is made of - doesn't look loke Brown Stuff.
The breastplate turned out great. Now are you going to do something to the shoes too. So far they look a little simple compared to the rest of the model.
Back to top Go down
drakkol
Ancient
Ancient
drakkol

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 19:48

Well...thaks Grimscull! Wink ...no...i'll leave the shoes as they are now...simple. When i started this mini i was thinking about sculpting a pair of leather boots but...in every pic i found, Landsknechts (and imperial pikemen as well) were using simple shoes.

"Brown" stuff is Super Sculpey...
ogre - Ogre warband 0042542000000-ST-01-Super-Sculpey
ogre - Ogre warband Supersculpey1lbopen
A sort of polymeric clay...you model it and then you must cook it. It's cheaper than Green Stuff and Brown stuff.
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2011 - 20:52

Wow, that breastplate is simply AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
Its a fantastic sculp job, i am not worthy!Well done!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ogre warband   ogre - Ogre warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ogre warband
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next