Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...

Go down 
+3
DeafNala
wobbly_goggy
HornedRat
7 posters
AuthorMessage
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Empty
PostSubject: Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...   undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Icon_minitimeSun 29 Aug 2010 - 23:46

Hey guys,

I have been wanting to start an undead warband for some time now. The only problem is that I really dont like the GW figures for undead. So over the last few months I have been patching together an undead warband from various manufacturers.

I initially started out with the vision of a female vampire countess and her minions. The thought here is that her retainers (the Dregs) would look more like footmen rather than hunchback retards, and be armed and armored to fit that part (even though their stats suck starting out) they will be painted to compliment the countess. I also wanted to break away from the atypical Necromancer look and go for something a bit Nastier.

For this project I also wanted to try giving the round bases a shot, as I have always used square. I think the round bases are a bit more apealing.

This is the vampire countess (Figure from Avatars of War )
undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Medium

Her footmen (the Dregs Figures from Hordes - Praetorian Swordmen ) I like these figures because they have the vampire'ish look to them. I could imagine them having been drained by the vampire but not yet turned. Or something like that. I am still debating on wether to give them shields or a second hand weapon. I am leaning towards shilelds though.

Aside from this guy that I was thinking of giving a 2-Handed weapon to. The plastic arms look a bit big, I might have to come up with an alternative or modify it some more.

The Necromancer (Figure from Enigma Miniatures ) I liked the idea of a BUFF Necromancer since the vampire of the warband is a female I could imagine this bodyguard type relationship. I like this figure so much I dont think I will change it at all, and just leave him with a 2-Handed weapon!

The Ghouls (Figures from Heresy Minatures ) have a nice evil feel to them, and less comic than the GW figures

And a few I am still putting together..

I still have yet to purchase zombies, and sticking with my no GW idea I am considering buying the zombies from Enigma Minatures as I really like the look, and I think they fit nicely with the figures I have already.
Zombie Horde

Additionally I still have yet to purchase any Dire Wolves, but I am leaning towards Wyrd Minatures, Canine Remains as I can just imagine a Vampire Countess with a few nice evil pugs!

And here is a partial group shot of the figures I have based and assembled so far

I am also very tempted to use this vampire figure (Also from Enigma) and use the same premise, but then I would have to come up with some female dregs and some meaner looking Dire Wolves Razz

So the first few figures are ready to be primed. I am still debating color schemes. I would like to break away from the typical red / black / purple that seems to be so popular with evil warbands. I just haven't thought of what that breakaway color might be.

So as always any thoughts or comments are always welcome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
wobbly_goggy
Champion
Champion
wobbly_goggy

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...   undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010 - 0:17

Those ghouls are awesome minis, and that vampire is sweet as too!
Looking forward to seeing them painted up!
Back to top Go down
http://wobblygoggy.wordpress.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...   undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010 - 1:16

WHAT A GREAT MIX of minis! Using the Skorne was an INSPIRED IDEA...VERY CLEVER! I LOVE the Countess & the rest of the Lads/Thingies are VERY COOL! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SerialMoM
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
SerialMoM

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...   undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010 - 6:46

I like the minis too.

The countess is a very nice choice.

i am curious how they look paintes

Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...   undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010 - 13:18

Great start, I really like the choice of miniatures, I own a lot of them already want to get others Very Happy

As for the too large looking arms on the double-handed weapon, you could try newer Empire arms, I think they are a little smaller than the old militia ones.
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...   undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010 - 16:43

Love your choice of minis too, the most i like the necr choice, this model is one of the best out of the enigma 32mm range! And know hurry up to paint those minis as fast as possible, lookin´ forward to see them in colour!Wink floedebolle

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Plague Docter
General
General
Plague Docter

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...   undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Icon_minitimeMon 30 Aug 2010 - 19:52

Damn that necro makes me want to do a executioner style warband(on top of all the others) so im going to have to put a post up asking wich you guys think is more interesting, more on topic tho great choice of models now get those painted or ELSE .

P.S i dont like the GW zombies either so your not alone on that.

Doc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...   undead - Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bringing the Undead to life ..err wait...
Page 1 of 1