Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Coaching Inn

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

Trading Reputation : 0

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010 - 0:16

I was getting frustrated on some aspects of my Festhaus, so I decided to step back for a project or two. I wanted to create a roadside coaching inn - a fairly rural structure that the Empire's coaches could stop at, and so on. This is the main structure with two things I wanted to try out. First, the coach stops in a covered area - six inches long, 3 inches high. It rains often, so wouldn't they want to be dry if they could? Laughing Second, on a recent trip, I liked the way that freight was lifted up two to three stories. So, the coaching in has the hay loft / storage above the carraigeway.

I was looking through Playtable's great Tortuga style board and I read Goomba's post about making posterboard structures - and that was what I was getting frustrated with. My method was FAR too flimsy, and his suggestion to use push pins while glue dried was one of those "Duh! Why have I NOT been doing this??" moments.

So it's three sections from front to rear Empire cannon crewman for scale.

Upper level ................hay, general storage.............storage of goods/sleeping?.........none
Lower level................open / coach path................."office" / storage?........................stable for 2-3 beasts.

Coaching Inn 100_9657

Side view

Coaching Inn 100_9660

Front View - the wooden posts are NOT installed yet! Just to get an idea of what they'll look like.

Coaching Inn 100_9662

Now a bird's eye view - the winch system is also not yet anchored, just placed for lining up the shaft. Obviously floors are not yet in place - probably a variation on the chopped and weathered popsicle sticks, particularly on the upper floors. The crewman is standing on a removable floor above the main office.

Coaching Inn 100_9663

Now viewing from the rear - the roof above the office has been removed, crewman is standing in the office. The doors are 3 layers of sandwiched styrene, carved to look like a door, on pins/hinges so they may open or close. Very Happy

Coaching Inn 100_9668

Final view, looking from the rear of the structure. Crewman is standing above the carraigeway, looking out above the office. I wanted to have a subtle elevation difference. I chose to go with a complete wall there to keep things simple - I'd toyed with having it more open and putting in a wooden skeleton and framing then my betrer sense took hold (for once).

Coaching Inn 100_9669

On a final note, most of the texturing was done with lightweight spackling, then brushed over with a pva mix. On the other side, I did one panel, and the winch area with wood filler. It's quite a bit more sturdy, but it's also rougher texture. I'll see how they compare on paint.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010 - 0:39

EXCELLENT LOOKING PIECE! This has the potential of being a multi-building project, if you get carried away..AND who doesn't? Keep up the FINE WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
superscenic
Captain
Captain
superscenic

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010 - 1:27

I think this is a very original shaped building. It is also well balanced and doesn't look front heavy even though it is cleverly sloped to the front.

This could be the start of an excellent Empire way-post, a safe haven along dangerous trade routes. If a gatehouse, stable and repair shed are arranged in a square you would have a little fort. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://clemssuperartblog.blogspot.com/
playtable
Ancient
Ancient
playtable

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010 - 6:16

Wonderful concept! I love the covered area.
Will the 2nd floor have a balcony overlooking the back room?

Too late now, but I would only suggest to go lighter with the spackle next time.
I mix mine up fairly thin in a dixie cup and use a small (1/2" diam. or so) paint brush to put in on with.

Can't wait to see it completed.
Back to top Go down
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Roof framing, chimney, hoist   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010 - 21:12

I've made the superstructure for the roof (removable) and added the fireplace area. It will have a small open hearth on each level. I'm also openly stealing the idea of a railing/balcony above the open rear room.

Coaching Inn 100_9673

Coaching Inn 100_9674
I ended up finding a way to have the hoist go directly into the far wall. I'm adding other small wood to 'pretend' to be the rear support area.

And now for a slightly silly look...

Coaching Inn 100_9676

A view through a window - "Who put out me fire???"
Back to top Go down
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeTue 28 Dec 2010 - 21:48

I stepped away from this one for a bit and worked on some smaller projects. Now that it's winter break, I'm getting more stuff done. ;-) There are still many things that I don't like about this, but I take them as "Now I know not to..." and such. I'd call this at the 75% mark for being done. It's not glued down, the bottom floors aren't completed, the doors don't have hinges yet (pins holding them in approximate postion), and so on. This is still the 'over-textured' problem I had previously, and newer models have improved some.

Without further ado...

Exterior Shot
Coaching Inn CoachingInnExterior2

Front View
Coaching Inn CoachingInnFront

With both shed and main roof removed. You're looking at the storage (above coachway) at top, the loft for the coachhouse owner, and at the bottom is a room that I'm not sure if I'm going to use as a bunking area, more mundane storage, or whatnot.
Coaching Inn CoachingInnInteriorUppers

Closeup of Loft (removable)
Coaching Inn CoachingInnLoft

Bottom floors - Flooring incomplete, etc.
Coaching Inn CoachingInnLowerLevel

Office view - map of Empire on the wall. ;-)
Coaching Inn CoachingInnOffice

I'd intended to make a coach 'style' to make copies of. This one ended up a bit small, but I'm going to finish it off as a gypsy's cart, or something. Shown with a light horse and model for scale.
Coaching Inn CoachingInnCoachdraft

Not pictured - the kennels for the guard dogs (far side, not even close to complete), privies, signage, exterior torches. The corral, stable, and small cottages for other workers is separate.

Any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeTue 28 Dec 2010 - 22:09

VERY IMPRESSIVE! One of the problems with coming back to a project after working on other things is spotting all the little things that you'd now do differently; however, it's never too late to do a bit of a revision. The Beasty has SO MUCH potential, I'm sure it will turn out TERRIFIC. Keep the Faith, Bro! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
HarryMason
Knight
Knight
HarryMason

Personal Info

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010 - 21:01

Great! I really like the winch, it adds alot of character. One thing I would like to see though is dirt! It seems way too clean for a warhammer building. Get some filth on those walls and you have a winner!
Back to top Go down
Handlebar
Warrior
Warrior
Handlebar

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010 - 22:49

Exterior details like the woodwork, flocking, dirt and debris, and most of the detail painting are just now coming around. The rest was first.

TY on the winch - I got the idea from some traveling this summer.

BTW - the winch works. I've drilled a small hole in the loft for some hemp bracelet 'rope' to go through.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coaching Inn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coaching Inn   Coaching Inn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coaching Inn
Page 1 of 1