I was getting frustrated on some aspects of my Festhaus, so I decided to step back for a project or two. I wanted to create a roadside coaching inn - a fairly rural structure that the Empire's coaches could stop at, and so on. This is the main structure with two things I wanted to try out. First, the coach stops in a covered area - six inches long, 3 inches high. It rains often, so wouldn't they want to be dry if they could?
Second, on a recent trip, I liked the way that freight was lifted up two to three stories. So, the coaching in has the hay loft / storage above the carraigeway.
I was looking through Playtable's great Tortuga style board and I read Goomba's post about making posterboard structures - and that was what I was getting frustrated with. My method was FAR too flimsy, and his suggestion to use push pins while glue dried was one of those "Duh! Why have I NOT been doing this??" moments.
So it's three sections from front to rear Empire cannon crewman for scale.
Upper level ................hay, general storage.............storage of goods/sleeping?.........none
Lower level................open / coach path................."office" / storage?........................stable for 2-3 beasts.
Front View - the wooden posts are NOT installed yet! Just to get an idea of what they'll look like.
Now a bird's eye view - the winch system is also not yet anchored, just placed for lining up the shaft. Obviously floors are not yet in place - probably a variation on the chopped and weathered popsicle sticks, particularly on the upper floors. The crewman is standing on a removable floor above the main office.
Now viewing from the rear - the roof above the office has been removed, crewman is standing in the office. The doors are 3 layers of sandwiched styrene, carved to look like a door, on pins/hinges so they may open or close.
Final view, looking from the rear of the structure. Crewman is standing above the carraigeway, looking out above the office. I wanted to have a subtle elevation difference. I chose to go with a complete wall there to keep things simple - I'd toyed with having it more open and putting in a wooden skeleton and framing then my betrer sense took hold (for once).
On a final note, most of the texturing was done with lightweight spackling, then brushed over with a pva mix. On the other side, I did one panel, and the winch area with wood filler. It's quite a bit more sturdy, but it's also rougher texture. I'll see how they compare on paint.