Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My Possessed warband's Possessed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

Trading Reputation : 0

possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed Empty
PostSubject: My Possessed warband's Possessed   possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed Icon_minitimeWed 5 May 2010 - 3:59

I'm proud to be adding my first post to the forum and I'm proud of this model (Though the photos make me think I need to hit it with a little more matte clear coat over the gloss coat...)

My favorite warband is my Possessed warband. Their fluff is that they were mutated with/from creatures from a nearby swamp, so they all have a repilian look to them, even the Beastmen. (I'm not a big fan of Gors, though I've seen some beautifully painted ones on this forum) I've used several Horrorclix and some D&D minis to achieve this look for several figures.

I'm more of a modder than a painter, though a recently purchased copy of "How to Paint Citadel Miniatures" is making a big difference.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f67/15/17/67/53/01812.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f67/15/17/67/53/01712.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f67/15/17/67/53/01312.jpg

Turns out I'm not the greatest photographer either (Though I did figure out how to use the macro setting!)

Last edited by Bean965 on Wed 5 May 2010 - 18:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My Possessed warband's Possessed   possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed Icon_minitimeWed 5 May 2010 - 5:33

Photographing miniatures is hard to do - your pictures are at least as good as mine (probably better!).

Welcome to the forum, and what a way to start! That is one scary model - you can tell by looking at the face of his victim! I love the concept of a horribly mutated creature in heavy robes like that, hiding its true nature until it's too late for its opponents to run...

Very well done!

It seem like it may be a bit large (i.e., wide) for practical play - have you run into any problems with that?
Back to top Go down
Streetlight Manifesto
Warrior
Warrior
Streetlight Manifesto

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: My Possessed warband's Possessed   possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed Icon_minitimeWed 5 May 2010 - 7:40

Two suggestions:

Matte Varnish

Thin your paints, its very obvious from your painting that you have good technique and brush control, thinning your paints will help with blending your layers and will make your stuff look a ton better, trust me on this one, you'll have to do an extra coat or two to get the same bright colors but it will look loads better.

Also matte varnish will make your current highlights look less muddy, since gloss tends to make things look very odd.

The conversion is very top notch though, I like it a lot, reminds me of the GD 2002 Chaos Lord.

Also, if your interested in scaly beastmen, you should totally get some of these guys:
http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_191&sort=3a
There are Turtlemen, WITH MUSKETS.
Back to top Go down
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

PostSubject: Re: My Possessed warband's Possessed   possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed Icon_minitimeWed 5 May 2010 - 16:59

Cygnus - I actually haven't played the figure yet. I imagine the size will be a bit awkward, but I have another figure almost as large and it works okay. It helps that the guy I play with is super fair about cover - he won't count the wings or the grappled victim against me

Streetlight - Thanks for the tips, I'll try thinner paint. I hit the model with matte clear coat on top of the gloss to dull it down, but clearly not enough!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: My Possessed warband's Possessed   possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed Icon_minitimeWed 5 May 2010 - 17:08

Even as a Guy who isn't into Chaos thingies, that is one UBERCOOL piece. Don't be too harsh on your painting...it looks PRETTY DARNED GOOD to moi. AND a FINE piece of conversion. VERY WELL DONE! possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed 544694

When all else fails, Testor's Dull Coat will make anything matte.
Back to top Go down
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

PostSubject: Re: My Possessed warband's Possessed   possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed Icon_minitimeWed 5 May 2010 - 19:01

Thanks Deafnala!

This is definitely my most ambitious, and my best, modding effort to date. I combined the top half of a giant "grim reaper"-type Horrorclix figure with two pieces of a giant D&D snake mini and sculpted the lower part of the cloak with greenstuff. I used some viper-type Horrorclix to make the arms and end of the tail. The victim is a Citadel flagellant.

I had to cut apart the viper and put three pieces together to make the left arm/snake the right shape, then fix the shape with greenstuff and re-texture. Some of the snakeskin re-texturing came out perfect, while in other places I'm not happy with it. I'm curious how others get a fine level of detail with greenstuff. I've heard people mention dental tools in relation to things like belt buckles - do people also use magnifying glasses? My old eyes have trouble with the fine detail...

You can't see it well in the pictures, but I'm particularly proud of the flagellant's left arm that's being pinned by the snake/arm. I cut one arm piece off at the shoulder and then shaped and glued a different cut off lower arm piece. It allows the snake to wrap smoothly around. If you look REALLY closely you can see that the arm doesn't go all the way through, but from more than 6" away, it improves the illusion of his arm being pinned by the constriction of the snake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Possessed warband's Possessed   possessed - My Possessed warband's Possessed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Possessed warband's Possessed
Page 1 of 1