Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)

Go down 
+6
sartori
Exodite
Mordheimer
lord siwoc
DeafNala
Mithras
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Empty
PostSubject: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSun 14 Feb 2010 - 17:38

Sooo, this is my first plog ever! To be honest, I never really enjoyed painting and haven't painted at all for close to 10 years, but recently decided to pick up a brush again. Funny thing is: I'm actually liking it more and more! Dunno why, maybe it's coz I'm getting more patient as I am getting older. For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Suspect

Anyhow, I decided to start a beastmen raiders warband coz the models from the old herd box are so cool. The new ones that have since come out look even better, so a box of the new bestigor is heading this way as we speak. They are gonna be my hero's. Also ordered a box of chaos hounds so except for a minotaur I'll have all the models needed for a proper warband.

So far 4 guys have been painted up and all but one have small conversions (that I love doing). Also I decided to make an effort on the bases for the first time (on my previous mini's it was just some paint and flock on the bases) as a good looking base can somewhat improve a mediocre paintjob.

But enough blahblah, here are the first guys I did:

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0158For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0160

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0162For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0163

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0165For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0167For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0169

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0171For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0173For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0175

As you probably can see they have been dipped, with added highlights and washes before and after the dipping. That's it for now, the next update will follow soon I hope. C&C are welcome!

Last edited by Mithras on Sun 14 Feb 2010 - 17:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed some typos)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSun 14 Feb 2010 - 18:22

REALLY NICE LOOKING Beasty Boys! The paint job compliments the FINELY positioned minis nicely. With a good choice of colors & the snazzy bases. you've got yourself the beginnings of an UBERCOOL War Band. VERY WELL DONE! For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) 544694
Back to top Go down
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSun 14 Feb 2010 - 18:38

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hehe.... I really like them! Good job on making some of them look a bit more dynamic!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSun 14 Feb 2010 - 23:19

Nice models... and the bases TRULY brings the be(a)st of them! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
Exodite
Warrior
Warrior
Exodite

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeTue 16 Feb 2010 - 0:28

Very nice looking models! I'm in the process of making up a beastmen warband from the Gor boxset as well and am inspired by some of the things you have done.

I really love the look of your bases... If you or anyone else is knows of a relatively easy way to accomplish that look please let me know as it really adds to the finished product being mounted like that.

I'm also liking the Shaman. I realised the standard pole makes a great caster staff and am also using it as such... The skull head on yours is different from mine, but it gives it such a good caster look!

Please post more pics as you finish them!
Back to top Go down
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeTue 16 Feb 2010 - 22:48

Thanks guys for the nice comments!

Exodite wrote:
Very nice looking models! I'm in the process of making up a beastmen warband from the Gor boxset as well and am inspired by some of the things you have done.
Don't forget to post some piccies when you are done!

Exodite wrote:
I really love the look of your bases... If you or anyone else is knows of a relatively easy way to accomplish that look please let me know as it really adds to the finished product being mounted like that.
The bases are very easy to make, I just made them from corks from wine bottles (very good excuse to open another bottle should you need one For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Drunken_smilie ). I'll see if I can make a few WIP shots of the bases in various stages (probably in the weekend).

Exodite wrote:
Please post more pics as you finish them!
Uhmm... these minis are finished already, are they so bad they look like WIP? For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_lol Well, maybe some more highlights or so will be added later on but for now they are done.

In the meantime I haven't been sitting still, this is my first try at a major conversion. While doing the fur on the back I suddenly found out how to sculpt nice looking fur, so I'm probably gonna redo the fur around his waist which looks a bit messy. Also after making the spear I found out that spears aren't allowed for a centigor For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_cry But since I like the look of it I think I will keep it like this anyway so it wll have to 'count as' sword (the top was made from an For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) 40268 sword after all).

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0177For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0178
For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0179

Any idea what more I can put on it? I tried to add some shields and barrels 'n stuff but wasn't convinced it would look right...

Last edited by Mithras on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 16:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sartori
General
General
sartori

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeTue 16 Feb 2010 - 23:06

I thought barrels might be odd, but then I remember how DRUNK centigors usually are. Razz

Maybe some pouches/sacks, straps, wine skin, severed heads, etc? Not sure how out of place some of these might look as I'm not well versed in their ways.
Back to top Go down
Exodite
Warrior
Warrior
Exodite

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeWed 17 Feb 2010 - 6:09

Mithras wrote:
Uhmm... these minis are finished already, are they so bad they look like WIP? For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_lol Well, maybe some more highlights or so will be added later on but for now they are done.
heh, no I meant as you finish the rest of your warband! Was pretty confident you had more models to come... I'm liking the centigor, and the spear could easily count as a halberd, actually almost looks more like one.
Back to top Go down
dwi
Warlord
Warlord
dwi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeWed 17 Feb 2010 - 9:19

Oh well done! I gatta say that the new beastmen are great! Gatta get some! Anyway again well done, the centigore would look best with a bottle of booze or two, a keg might be nice.

Have a good one
dwi
Back to top Go down
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeWed 17 Feb 2010 - 9:30

Oh - my herd in progress looks a bit tatty now... Excellent!
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 16:58

Exodite wrote:
If you or anyone else is knows of a relatively easy way to accomplish that look please let me know as it really adds to the finished product being mounted like that.

I made some piccies of the bases in various stages of completion, as you will see it's quite easy to make them:

1. Step 1 is to get some corks and cut them up! I cut them in slices and then cut off the rounded edges so they don't look too neat.
For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0014

2: Glue some pieces of cork to a base in a pattern to your liking.
For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0016

3. Add some modelling sand to the parts of the base that are still 'naked':
For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0017

4. Paint or spray the whole thing black:
For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0018

5. Put some paint on it!
For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0013

These are the paints I use:
- For the cork/stone Charadon Granite is the base (only leaving the biggest recesses black). And then drybrush layers of Adeptus Battlegrey, Codex Grey and Astronomican Grey on (each layer a lighter drybrush then the previous one). That's followed by a Devlan Mud wash and a last drybrush of Astronomican Grey.
- For the sand part Scorched brown as a base and then drybrush layers of Bestial Brown, Snakebite Leather and bleached bone on.

The static grass is added to the base after I put the model on it so I can see where the added grass would look best.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 17:52

More reasons to drink wine... Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 18:04

Were there ever a reason not to?

You can get cork in several DIY stores as well
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
Skeller

Skeller

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 19:01

Mmm wine...

These beastmen look awesome too. Great conversions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.goblinminimart.com
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010 - 17:35

lord siwoc wrote:
You can get cork in several DIY stores as well
For me there's no need considering the steady inflow of corks from wine bottles in casa Mithras For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_razz

I have a question BTW, does anyone have suggestions or a good resource for Beastmen names? The only one that has a name so far is the shaman, who I'm gonna name Poofhoof (inspired by the great Dutch anthem "Als ik maar niet op mijn poef hoef, poef hoef" (to the none-Dutchies: you don't wanna know....)). I haven't got the armybook or anything so haven't got a clue what to name the rest of them. It seems a bit lame to name everyone X-gor or Y-hoof.
Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010 - 20:03

Nice work there Mithras!

Like to put the pirates in action against these beasts someday!
Back to top Go down
Exodite
Warrior
Warrior
Exodite

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeMon 22 Feb 2010 - 22:33

Awesome work on the base tutorial! It's a lot more simple than the final results would suggest!

I guess now all I have to do is get some corks... I'm sure I can find some use for the wine Wink

Oh and as far as names go there is a short list of hero names:
Gorthor
Malagor (shaman)
Morghur
Khazrak
Ghorros Warhoof (centigor)

Might offer some inspiration... also might be worth looking at old name lists for something like the diablo I/II... the goatmen remind me of the beastmen a lot and they have a great deal of names.
Back to top Go down
Exodite
Warrior
Warrior
Exodite

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeMon 22 Feb 2010 - 22:53

For the original I have a link

Now most are from non-goatmen enemies, but many that aren't are still good
Back to top Go down
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010 - 23:01

Thanks for the suggestions and the link, Exodite. They should give me a good start point to think up some proper beasty names!
Back to top Go down
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitimeSun 7 Mar 2010 - 11:20

I Finally finished the centigor and did 2 more guys. Despite your good suggestions I didn't put anything on it, thinking I can always add stuff later. Quite like how he turned out so I'll prolly keep him like this for now.

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0054For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0057

And here two more gors:

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0044For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0042For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0045

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0049For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0051
For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) DSC_0053

The one with the bronze helmet is going to be my chieftain for the time being, until I have painted up some of the new Besties. But first I'm gonna paint up some hounds!

p.s. I just noticed that I still have to clean up the sides of the bases For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)   For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For the Herd! - Mithras' first ever plog (about Beastmen)
Page 1 of 1