Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Running Mordheim at a local convention

Go down 
+8
Popmouth
Jadex
ObsidianLord
Mithras
lord siwoc
cianty
kidterminal
Toby Goatfield
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Toby Goatfield
Captain
Captain
Toby Goatfield

Trading Reputation : 0

mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Empty
PostSubject: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 18:47

I plan on running a game of Mordheim at a local convention. My question is, in your opinion, since most players will be new to the game, should I do a Mordheim "Rules Lite" (ignoring rules like falling near ledges, hidden, spells, or should I do an all out Mordheim? I hope to introduce Mordheim as an enjoyable game and I didn't want the players to be overwhelmed with too any rules. All the warbands will be pre-made human, generic bands. Thoughts? mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
kidterminal
Veteran
Veteran
kidterminal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 19:25

Don't confine the game to humans only, it won't attract the same level of interest as a game with skaven and other fantasy races.
Back to top Go down
Toby Goatfield
Captain
Captain
Toby Goatfield

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 19:34

Well, that was something I had thought of, but then I didn't want people feeling they got the worst warband as compared to someone else. That and I kind of didn't want to have to watch over a Chaos warband, an Undead warband, a Skaven warband, and a few Human warbands. I thought since it was an introductory game, perhaps having everyone start off with humans would be a good foundation. Then they could look into different warbands on their own.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 19:58

I would make it dependent on the number of special rules whether to use that warband or not. Humans are good. Undead are horrible with their many exceptions and Animosity for the greenskins to probably too much as well. Skaven however, don't really have special rules for their models so they are easy to use for beginners and so are Beastmen.

Not using the extended critical hits is probably a good idea. I am not sure about neglecting Magic. One spell per model is not that hard to remember/apply.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 20:01

Make some sample lists. As this is intro games, you make the armies for them.

Hence make different bands. Skaven, undead and some humans.

Make a little reference sheet for each warband, explanation of their special rules. You will find it easier, and they will find the fun and fast gaming that is mordheim.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
Toby Goatfield
Captain
Captain
Toby Goatfield

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 20:20

Well, I am too old not to listen to other peoples advice. I'll throw in a Skaven warband, but I'm hesitant about throwing in too many others. I was hoping to keep is simple, fast and most importantly, fun. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mithras
Veteran
Veteran
Mithras

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 20:34

Sisters of Sigmar might be good to add? Whipwielding nuns should spark some interest mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_lol And they don't have many special rules.
Back to top Go down
Toby Goatfield
Captain
Captain
Toby Goatfield

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 20:44

As much as I appreciate the "fluff" behind the Sisters of Sigmar, I think I'll leave them on the sidelines. I'm going to try to stay away from the Fanboy bottom feeders that may show up. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ObsidianLord
Captain
Captain
ObsidianLord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jan 2010 - 21:17

Don't do the mistake of cutting away some rule to make it simpler (and less fun)!

Just keep some of the main warbands.
I'd say Reiklanders, Middenheimers, Marienburgers, Witch hunters, Possesseds and Sisters (Perhaps skaven too).

The only thing that overwhelms this game is the huge amount of warbands.
Best wishes! Wink

Last edited by ObsidianLord on Sun 10 Jan 2010 - 21:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jadex
Veteran
Veteran
Jadex

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 2:51

All the different warbands make the game so fun! I'd go for as much variety as possible. Make it clear that basically any race can be taken to the city and that there are interesting alternative races/warbands.
As for the rules, I'd explain it as it comes, i.e. explain falling only should it occur. People won't complain about fairness and winning on a testgame on a convention. Certainly include magic mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 4:16

I think you have a good idea going here. To keep it simple is one of my credos in life, (though I AM pretty simple...).

But I am afraid that if you use humans only, the feeling of diversity that also makes the game so colourful and fun to explore will be missed out. Id definately go for the "basic" races here:

Human Mercenaries
Skaven
Undead (who do NOT suck the least, if I might add!)
Possessed

This way, you get some spellcasting thrown into the mix, mutants and fear causing opponents (which will add to the psychology aspect too). This is the simplest set-up in my opinion, but you could also add Witch Hunters and Sisters of Sigmar to represent all warbands in the rulebook. Though you should probably wait with introducing the newer warbands, such as Greenskins and Dwarf Treasure Hunters etc.
Back to top Go down
kidterminal
Veteran
Veteran
kidterminal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 5:42

You should keep it simple by all means. You should create pregenerated warbands and supply the copleated roster sheets for the players to use. I suggest mounting them on thin card. I don't know how many warbands you expect to having playing at any given time; I'd suggets no more than 4 at a time. If you're using 4 warbands then I suggest to human mercenary bands, a skaven band and either undead or possessed. This way you'll have diveristy and only one warband with special rules to worry.

Rob
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 15:10

You could play with the rules that are included in the Mordheim Playsheet, that's what I usually do with rookies.
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 15:44

I would just use the Warbands from the Core book. Also use the basic critical hit table. We spend more time looking-up criticals then anything else in game, followed by what are the advantages of different weapons.

The Card Idea will work well. I would do that and I would make a pre-game, and post-game cheat sheet, and a quick battle report sheet.

I think that the thing is that you want to make it so that people can be handed a warband and the cheat sheets, and start the pregame stuff, then be able to pull-out commonly needed rules, and the a post game cheat sheep and report sheet that would give you the results of what happened.
Back to top Go down
frog
Veteran
Veteran
frog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 18:14

Rudeboy wrote:
I would just use the Warbands from the Core book. Also use the basic critical hit table. We spend more time looking-up criticals then anything else in game, followed by what are the advantages of different weapons.

The Card Idea will work well. I would do that and I would make a pre-game, and post-game cheat sheet, and a quick battle report sheet.

I think that the thing is that you want to make it so that people can be handed a warband and the cheat sheets, and start the pregame stuff, then be able to pull-out commonly needed rules, and the a post game cheat sheep and report sheet that would give you the results of what happened.

exactly keep to the main rule book war-bands, and main book rules. doing that will make it much simpler. and still keeps a variety of war-bands to play with.

the reference sheet i like the idea for as well, but maybe one with slimline rules in aswell? a to hit table, wound table, etc. like when GW use to do quick reference guides at the back of the rule books.
Back to top Go down
Toby Goatfield
Captain
Captain
Toby Goatfield

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jan 2010 - 2:51

Well, I've been doing some painting, some thinking, more painting and I think I will stick with human warbands only. Everyone will get the same type of warband to start and then as th game progresses, they can add henchmen, buy equipment, etc. I liked the idea of using undead, witchhunters, skaven and what have you, but I think keeping it extremely simple is the best approach.
Back to top Go down
Fungomungus
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jan 2010 - 8:00

It all depends on how many people you have interested. You could (providing you have enough models) have several warbands ready with cheat sheets for the people interested.

Will you just doing a demo for people or are you going to try starting a campaign with them?
Back to top Go down
Toby Goatfield
Captain
Captain
Toby Goatfield

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan 2010 - 0:44

Oh it's more of a demo than a real campaign. I just wanted to stir up some interest for the local community here in Tennessee. Seems to be a moot point though, I won't be going to the convention as we are getting snow and people in Tennessee do NOT know how to drive on snowy/icy roads.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan 2010 - 2:42

Whereabouts in Tennessee? I have a brother in the Nashville area who is a Mordheimer.
Back to top Go down
Toby Goatfield
Captain
Captain
Toby Goatfield

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan 2010 - 3:21

Over here in Knox-Vegas babeeeeeee! Also known as Knoxville. It's not the end of the world, but by golly I can see it from there.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan 2010 - 6:44

What, North Carolina?

Haven't been to Knoxville that often, but always kind of liked the city. There used to be a really nice game store there called Yankee Peddler. One of our Morheimer group is from Monterey, and a lot of us went to Tennessee Tech (in pre-Mordheim days).

Good luck with the convention game! It is a Knoxville Con?
Back to top Go down
Toby Goatfield
Captain
Captain
Toby Goatfield

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan 2010 - 15:57

Yep, it's a local Knoxville Con (now called Three Rivers Con). I know the Yankee Peddler! Closed down. There are a few places that are good for open gaming, but it's always hit-and-miss with the crowd. Knoxville has a HUGE, but cloistered gaming community. There never seems to be anyone able to pull everyone together.

I was hoping to bring Mordheim over there for a small demo, but the roads where I live are iced over (I live on a ridge, so the leaving is straight down on a windy road, not good for the life of the car or insuarance). Maybe next time though. There seemed to be a few players that were interested. Check out www.knoxgamers.com. I was hoping, in all honesty, to spur Mordheim interest and then maybe get enough eople to run a campaign or league. mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan 2010 - 16:42

Yeah, had an email from my parents (living in Madison, a n. suburb of Nashville) about the snow they had. Rubbing it in, they were - my wife and I had requested snow for the Christmas break. Sorry you weren't able to make the Con, and good luck drumming up interest in Mordheim. In my experience, if you can arrange for people to play, they will likely be hooked?

Are you going to Nashcon in May?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running Mordheim at a local convention   mordheim - Running Mordheim at a local convention Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Running Mordheim at a local convention
Page 1 of 1