Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kadzik
Knight
Knight
Kadzik

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

warband - Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband] Empty
PostSubject: Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband]   warband - Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband] Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov 2009 - 14:05

Engineer’s workshop

In the Imperial Engineering Academy
in Altdorf and in the Gunnery School of Nuln many young men are trained for the future adepts of technology. Part joins the army, renting their service to the Electors, others work with numerous religious cults or governments of cities or stays on university. Some, however, establish their own workshops, often combining the production with the art, working with merchants, build palaces and residences. The most crazed engineers confine in theirs private workshops with a group of students admitted to the mysterious purposes only. To build super-heavy gatling gun, to construct steam vehicle or to design bridge to Lustria, this is what consume their time! Unfortunately, the money is quick to end, and rectors sometimes recall the old students arranging them various odd jobs. Recently heard rumors about a possible Perpetuum Mobile, which could be done using a mysterious Wyrdstone. But do a man, crazy enough to undertake such a mission, obediently give all the magic stone is his superiors? Will he use it to achieve his private plan, won’t he?

Choice of Warriors
An Engineer’s Workshop warband must include a minimum of three models. You have 500 gold crowns available to spend. The maximum number of warriors in the warband may never exceed 15.
Engineer: Your warband must have one Engineer, no more no less!
Apprentice: Your warband may include a single Apprentice.
Dwarf Gunsmith: Your warband may include a single Dwarf Gunsmith.
Youngbloods: Your warband may up to two Youngbloods.
Workers: Your warband may include any number of Workers.
Dwarf Sappers: Your warband may include any number of Dwarf Sappers

Starting Experience
The Engineer starts with 20 experience.
The Dwarf Gunsmith starts with 8 experience.
The Apprentice starts with 8 experience.
Youngbloods starts with 0 experience.

Special Rules:
“I wanted to add more sulphlur but I wasn’t able. Suddenly I realized that I’ve lost my arm. It pissed me off, cause I really hate to work with my left hand! ”

Engineer’s Workshop warband always use Blackpowder Weapon Misfires Table. Prices in the armory table have already been reduced by 20%.

"I appoint you ... Khe, Khe ... Engineer ... arghhh.” In the event of death, Apprentice becomes an Engineer, if he has got at least 16 EXP. He gets all the special rules the Engineer has and can use only Engineer’s skill tables, but retains all of its skills and statistics. In addition, the new Engineer can advance one of the Youngbloods to Apprentice, if it has at least 8 EXP. He gets all the special rules Apprentice has and can use only Journeyman skill tables, but retains all of his skills and statistics. A new Youngblood can be hired after the next fight.
Note: You cannot buy an Engineer or a Apprentice. All promotions must be carried out by the above development.

"Every Dwarf is almost an engineer ... But those orange are crazy probably too much.”
Dwarves are on equal footing in this warband. If, after the death of Engineer, Journeyman does not have enough EXP, Dwarf Gunsmith is promoted a leader, until the Apprentience will earn enough EXP. In addition, Dwarf Sappers can be heroes. Despite the respect for the Dwarves, warband cannot hire a Troll Slayer.

"I am Altdorf native, you moron!”. Special rules for dwarves such as Hard to Kill and Hard Head are valid. Others, based on the Dwarf psychology, do not apply to the Khazads raised in human society.

Skill Table:
Engineer may choose from Shooting, Academic and Special
Apprentice may choose from Combat, Shooting, Academic, Speed and Special
Dwarf Gunsmith may choose from Combat, Shooting, Strength and Special
Youngbloods may choose from Combat, Shooting, Speed and Special

Special Skills:
"I’ll fix it"Engineer, Dwarf Gunsmith, Apprentice and Youngbloods with at least 6 EXP only
The hero is able to repair weapons damaged by the Misfire. When the hero decides not to search for rare items, the repair is performed automatically.

"Pedant" - Engineer, Dwarf Gunsmith,
Apprentice and Youngbloods with at least 6
EXP and promoted Dwarf Sappers if they choose Special Skill List only
Some people care about their weapons more than for their own convenience. Such equipment is by far more reliable, and allows the owner to enjoy a longer life. The hero ignores the first “1” on the attack die when shooting Gunpowder weapon.

"Construction Engineering" - Engineer and
Apprentice only
With extensive knowledge of construction, materials and physics, engineer is able not only to build but also to destroy. While maintaining contact with the wall with 2 Workers within 2", character is able to destroy the 6” of wall. This action takes whole Shooting Phase and the models may not run. Collapse can be done both inside and outside the building. The result is the lock windows and doors in the designated area of the wall and D3 S3 hits for each model inside the building. If the destruction group was in the middle of the building, they must test the initiative otherwise get D3 3S hits.
"Granade! Granade! " - Engineer,
Apprentice, Dwarf Gunsmith, Youngbloods with at least 12 EXP and promoted Dwarf Sappers if they choose Special Skill List only
After several attempts, a few workshop rebuilds, uncountable tours to an inn searching for new workers etc. the hero learned how to manufacture and use a grenade. After the battle the hero, instead of searching for rare items, may hide in the workshop and prepare one granade. It costs 20gc and the difficulty of the production is 5 and if the test is a failure, the hero must miss the next battle.
Note: Without this skill you cannot use a grenade. Indigenous grenade is possible only through his self-execution.

Special Equipment:
Grenade
Cost: 20gc
Availability: see proper skill
Range: 8”
Strength: 4 on the target/3 in 2” radius
Special Rules:
Throw:
Grenade is used like a Throwing Weapon. When hero miss, we treat it like a dud.
Need Ignition: Hero can do not move and throw grenade without any penalties. However, He can move (but not run) and risk Grenade Misfire on 4+. Place Counter in base contact with model you hit. And no, no one is so crazed to take ignited grenade.
Grenade Misfire:
At the beginning of every player’s turn, after eventually Rout Test, the Counter explode on 5+.
Wrecker: If hero has Superior Blackpowder, the grenade can destroy small terrain feature (well, fence, barricade). Also, the Strength of any hit is raised by one.

Farthing
Kind of corkscrew attached to a staple, used to remove dud from barrel.
After rolling Phut on Missfires Table hero can remove bullet and reload weapon during his next Movement Phase, but he cannot move at all.
After rolling Jammed hero can solve the problem during his next Movement and Shooting Phase. He cannot move or shoot at all.

Weapons Lists

Engineers Weapon List:

Dagger 2gc/1st free
Hammer/Mace 3gc
Sword 10gcPistol 12gc (Rare Common)
Dueling Pistol 20gc (Rare 9)
Blunderbuss 24gc (Rare 8 )
Handgun 28gc (Rare 7)
Hunting Rifle 160gc (Rare 10)
Pistol Blunderbuss 20gc (Rare 9)

Light Armour 25gc
Helmet 10gc
Buckler 5gc
Farthing 10gc (Rare 8 )
Superior Blackpowder 20gc (Rare 10)

Dwarves Weapon List:
Dagger 2gc/1st free
Hammer 3gc
Axe 5gc
Sword 10gc
Two-handed Hammer 15gc

Pistol 12gc (Rare Common)
Blunderbuss 24gc (Rare 8 )
Handgun 28gc (Rare 7)Light Armour 25gc
Heavy Armour 50gc
Helmet 10gc
Shield 5gc

Workers Weapons List:

Dagger 2gc/1st free
Hammer/Mace 3gc
Axe 5gc
Sword 10gc
Halberd 10gc
Morgenstern 15gc
Two-handed weapon 15gdc

Bow 10gc
Throwing Knives 20gc (Rare 9)
Light Armour 25gc
Helmet 10gc
Buckler 5gc
Shield 5gc

Heroes:

1 Enginner
60gc to hire
Expert on all mechanical, high-tech items. For unknown reasons, he left his safe (just awkward!) workshop and moved to Mordheim. A need for emergency cash injection? The mission of the Imperial Engineering Academy? Or perhaps a small explosion that destroyed the workshop...and the rest of the neighborhood? Whatever the reasons Engineer can handle anywhere.

M:4 ; WS:3 ; BS:4 ; S:3 ; T:3 ; I:3 ; A:1 ; Ld:8

Weapons/Armour:
The Engineer may be equipped with weapons and armour chosen from Engineers
Equipment List.

Special Rules:
Leader: Any model in the warband within 6” of the Engineer may use his Leadership instead of their own.
The barrel of powder is somehow my wife: Many years of using blackpowder weapons the allows to re-roll any result on the Misfire Table. The second result stands even if it is worse than the first!

0-1 Apprentice
35gc to hire
Apprentice leads a hard life. Not only he must endure the mischiefs of young apprentices, vulgar jokes of dwarves, do black work commissioned by the Engineer, he still has to learn something. Regardless of these problems he will soon become an engineer and build this bloody bridge to Lustria!

M:4 ; WS:3 ; BS:3 ; S:3 ; T:3 ; I:4 ; A:1 ; Ld:7

Weapons/Armour:
The Apprentice may be equipped with weapons and armour chosen from Engineers
Equipment List.

Special Rules:
The whole life I sleep on a barrel of powder: Many years of using blackpowder weapons and less ignorance than his master, allows Apprentice to roll twice on the Misfire Table and to choose better result.

0-2 Youngbloods
15gc to hire
The youngest in the workshop. They are ought to learn everything and to do not destroy anything. Really, Engineers are crazy, if they believe in that, when recruiting new youngbloods.

M:4 ; WS:2 ; BS:2 ; S:3 ; T:3 ; I:4 ; A:1 ; Ld:6

Weapons/Armour: The Youngbloods may be equipped with weapons and armour chosen from Engineers Equipment List.

Special Rules:
"Get out from here! And do not touch anything!": No Engineer will ever give such precious weapons to his unskilful pupils. Yougblood who have not earned 5 EXP yet, cannot have equipment worth more than 23gc.
"Bla, bla, bla you old, deaf moron!": Youngbloods often do not listen to olders. They cannot use Ld of the Engineer.

Dwarf Gunsmith
45gc to hire

It is said, Dwarves comes to life with axe, pick or crossbow. This one comes with bag full of precision tools.

M:3 ; WS:4 ; BS:3 ; S:3 ; T:4 ; I:2 ; A:1 ; Ld:9

Weapons/Armour:
The Dwarf Gunsmith may be equipped with weapons and armour chosen from
Engineers and Dwarves Equipment List.

Special Rules:
Gunsmith: Dwarf Gunsmith has +5 bonus when attempting to find rare items connected with blackpowder (weapons, Superior Blackpowder, but not Grenade even if he has a skill!). Also this item cost 30% less (so weapons with cost 20% less, because warband’s special rule, cost 50 base price). This symbolize that Gunsmith self-made it.

Henchmen

Workers

25gc to hire

Every workshop needs someone to care about transport, provision of goods, proper work of stoves, cleaning, fire fighting etc. This guys are not warriors, but everyday work with crazy engineers, gives them some kind of intuition.M:4 ; WS:3 ; BS:3 ; S:3 ; T:3 ; I:3 ; A:1 ; Ld:7

Weapons/Armour:
The Workers may be equipped with weapons and armour chosen from Workers Equipment List.

Special Rules:
"One-Two-Three-Four-The-First-Gun-Of-Young-Blood-Is-Yours!": Well known practice of engineers is to sell “not so” well made products to less demanding clients. Workers know how dangerous such a weapon could be so they will never (I cannot stress this enough…NEVER) use blackpowder weapons to not risk.
Dwarf Sappers
32gc to hire
This young dwarves are born and bred in mix of human and dwarf society. They prefer solid blunderbuss or heavy handgun than venerable crossbow. Their skill in using explosives is also legendary.

M:3 ; WS:3 ; BS:3 ; S:3 ; T:4 ; I:2 ; A:1 ; Ld:8

Weapons/Armour:
The Dwarf Sappers may be equipped with weapons and armour chosen from Dwarves Equipment List.

Special Rules:
"Where do I put this tinder?!": During the game, a group of two Dwarf Sappers may mine single building, but only once per game. Explosive must be placed on the ground floor, also on this level cannot be any enemy models. Explosion occurs the next phase of shooting of the Engineer’s Workshop warband.. All models appearing in the building receive a hit with S5 -1 per level separating them from the cargo. Characters standing no further than 1" from the edge have to check Initiative or fall down. The building remains in game, but all the surfaces are treated as Very Difficult Terrain

Last edited by Kadzik on Sat 14 Nov 2009 - 21:32; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kadzik
Knight
Knight
Kadzik

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband]   warband - Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband] Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov 2009 - 21:44

Ok, a bit clearer Smile

I always want to create a band wich will have a strong powder climat, but which would not be a firing squad. I've tried to fit in system witout any mess in basic rules or equpment prices. I've add only 3 items (pistol blunder is quite powerfull; corkscrew handful with misfires and IMHO very climatic; grenade is something exotic and rare, you need a skill, trying to do one could be painfull, and it's one use only). There is a nice pack of special skills for heroes. Some handful, others strange, but everyone is balanced and good use can bring a little help during battle.

The thing I am most proud is a little mess with EXP. I think that giving WEAPON MASTER to a Youngblood is stupid (not in gameplay, but logical). I've written rule that give a chance to get Engineer back, but have also some downsides (if you loose aprentience at the beggining you cannot buy next and you have wait until one of the youngblood earn at least 8 EXP)

Och, and fluff. It was made almost one year ago in Polish. It is quite fun, but I've used a lot of word jokes, which are meaningless in English, so sorry, international version is not so funny anymore Smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband]   warband - Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband] Icon_minitimeSun 15 Nov 2009 - 3:40

The below is too the point. if you have low self esteem, dont read it.

Does every model really need 6 special rules? Its a problem almost every list people make has. If you dont plan on having it play tested and used by others then its fine, but at least say so. I also doubt your group will appreciate having to learn what every model in your warband is. just lots of silly little things that dont make sense/arnt needed. for example, the engineer is worse with black powder then his apprentice. The whole "cant do something till they have xp = x" is rubbish and complicates the game. if you really want to have something like that, i advise you make equipment exclusions and have skills to allow them to use that gear. If you want a full evaluation of the list, I'll do it, but right now I think it's still too rough.

Regards,

Tom
Back to top Go down
Kadzik
Knight
Knight
Kadzik

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband]   warband - Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband] Icon_minitimeSun 15 Nov 2009 - 11:43

Every model (except youngbloods) have exactly one special rule. Sappers have realy complicated one, but is it so hard to remember that this unit cannot use blackpowder weapon, this cannot use engineer's Ld, and this can reroll misfires? I don't think so Smile

The band was playtested and it is quite playable Smile

Apprentience better than engineer? Yes, ofcourse Smile IMO engineer is someone who knows how to load his pistol (so he have reroll) but even when loading he is more concerned about new material to do steam tank. He is scatty (I think this is the word)
Apprentince have to check everything twice, cause he is more concerned about his health and life. When he becomes engineer he becomes scatty Smile
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband]   warband - Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband] Icon_minitimeMon 16 Nov 2009 - 3:28

I agree that requiring a certain amount of xp to "unlock" specific skills and abilities just doesn't quite jive with the rest of Mordheim.

Other than that - why make a warband of engineers always use the misfire chart? I would think, if anything, that they would know proper maintenance techniques and be less likely to have issues with their weapons. Add to this that you include lots of skills, equipment, and special rules which help to mediate the misfire chart, it kind of seems like you want to cut it out altogether anyways. I think I would only have specific weapons, ammunition types, or specific character types that aren't good with guns follow the misfire chart.

Instead of grenades I would just use the firebomb from TC 7.

Conceptually I like the idea, very comical!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband]   warband - Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engineer's Workshop [Experimental Warband]
Page 1 of 1