Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Gaming Table Creation Tips

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich
Captain
Captain
Rich

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: None

Gaming Table Creation Tips Empty
PostSubject: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2008 - 20:35

Hi folks.

I'm currently in the planning stages towards creating my Mordheim table, and wanted to get you folks' opinions towards my creation! I have some nice ideas towards some of the buildings/structures for my board, and some nice feature pieces, but I could do with some help about the basic creation of the board itself...

Firstly... do you all use the GW-suggested 4ft square table for your games? Do any of you use a smaller table?

I'm thinking of creating a modular table, created from nine 'tiles' - each being 16in square... so that I could create a 4ft square table, but would also have the option of creating a smaller gaming surface... smaller squares, rectangles, possibly even U-shaped street scenes...

Another benefit of the Modular route is that I could also change to layout of the full 4ft square board... changing the streetplan, river courses, and moving around the main features of the gaming board...

I could also make additional tiles to add-on to the board, to make bigger boards, or to create objective markers and themed pieces for specific games, tournaments and campaigns... and to update/refresh the board...

Also, the Modular board is a great benefit to me, as I need my board to be fully collapsable... and I would have to be able to store it easily.

I'm also looking for ideas/pointers regarding levels, and rivers... obviously, these would require the base tiles of the board to be thicker/deeper to sink rivers into, or to create height for the levels... (I'm not sure if I've explained that very clearly... bare with me!)

The basic overall point of my post is to ask advice, pointers, hints and tips for the initial creation of my games table... specifically about Modular boards, and about ways to make the board easier to store/collapse...

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Rich
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2008 - 15:12

4 by 4 ft is a nice length Smile and I think the ideas you've got are good, because you'll ''never'' play on the same board! Smile
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2008 - 17:42

We have four 2x2 foot tables and they are about 2 inches deep. We have a plan to make a fifth table with a river's edge (and quay) sunk into it (so we can play boarding actions and cutting-out missions with our ships! Wink ).

Very roughly:

Gaming Table Creation Tips Tableplanqb0
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2008 - 19:41

Hey Man,

I agree. Modular Gaming Table is the way to go. Check out this link I found which I'm planning on duplicating:

Modular Gaming Table

This was my first intro to terragenesis.
Enjoy,
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2008 - 20:26

Hey dudes, the idea of making a modular gaming table sounds really nice, but I dont know how to make one and stuff so can someone explain it a bit to me Smile ?
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2008 - 21:21

Check the link I put above or if you want to be 1337: you can make it hex:

Hex Modular Gaming Table

I don't like how this terrain will always be the exact same, but the frame around this table (with the little cubbies to hold things) is awsome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1lSV1i_WSw

That's all i can find on it
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2008 - 21:27

The hexes are a nice idea, although it looks like a lot of work for a result you can just as easily achieve with normal squares wich are easier to cut out.

I knew that modular table vid. Although the terrain looks really cool, it has 2 major problems in my humble opinion Smile
1) The terrain is not alterable, i.e. same hill always goes to the same spot.
2) It has a very high wooden frame. The only way to check firing angles and fields of vision is with a laser pointer on this particular table, because the table's frame would be in the way when you try to level with the miniatures.

But other than that: thumbs way up!

(And thanks to our friend Ash for sharing Wink )

Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2008 - 21:40

Admin Tom wrote:

2) It has a very high wooden frame. The only way to check firing angles and fields of vision is with a laser pointer on this particular table, because the table's frame would be in the way when you try to level with the miniatures.

But other than that: thumbs way up!

(And thanks to our friend Ash for sharing Wink )

Very good point. I totally forgot about that. Agreed. Definitely can't have the high walls around the board. You board should not have walls around it.

You are very welcome.

When I put my board together, I may make it modular, but I'm defintley going to make those cubbie things around the edges! that's great!
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jan 2008 - 22:34

But I think a wooden frame is nice for protection the board wich I am working on is damaged already
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2008 - 0:05

I totally agree. I would probably have a similar black frame as they did in the movie (except 4'x4') but I would have the actual board be flush with the top of the frame. Then I could have it be modular and protected... and have the cubbies!

sweet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Table Creation Tips   Gaming Table Creation Tips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaming Table Creation Tips
Page 1 of 1