Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Has anyone used Rackham Color?

Go down 
+2
Admin Tom
Polar Star
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Polar Star
Warrior
Warrior
Polar Star

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

Has anyone used Rackham Color? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009 - 15:07

In the past I never really painted much. I would just prime black and then dry brush paint over that in as neat a manner as possible and then call it a day, but I'm seriously considering getting into actually painting the minis with highlighting and shading and whatnot. I have a starter set of Rackham Color that's been laying around my room unused since I bought a bunch of Rackham minis when they were all on sale, but when I looked up the paint online recently, I've found some conflicting reviews. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it, and if so, would it be a subtable paint for a beginner?
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009 - 15:44

I own only one Rackham colour. It's a brick-like red (I can look up the exact name when I get home if you want. Just send me a PM reminder tonight).

This one particular colour I am using is very good. I have used it quite a lot, since I like it's organic red shade, the pigmentation is good (= covers well) and the bottle is a nice hybrid between vallejo-style dispenser (yaaaay!) and GW pot (boooo!).

I think Rackham paints, like any brand of acrylic paints designed for miniature painting can be used without too much hesitation.
If you are a beginner, just grab any acrylic paint that you can get your hands on and start practicing! There really is nothing you can do wrong.

I have lost my fear of trying out different brands years ago, and I am happy I did. Now I buy colours based on how useful I think the shade can be, and give little consideration to the brand (within reason: I DO prefer to get my hands on Vallejo Model Color if possible, because I like the dispenser).

Another thing that you need to accept, is that ANY colour range will have it's weak elements. e.g. GW have good and solid paints (apart from the pot, which is a prehistoric design in my opinion), but Dwarve Bronze and Graveyard Earth I find of inferior quality to the other colours in their range. Vallejo on the other hand has excellent browns and coppers, but the Gold is not quite as good.

There really is no way around trial and error. You need to buy paints that you think you can combine well to make intermediate tones. And don't be afraid of trying different brands. Over time you will get a feel for what works best for you.

I hope that helps!
Tom

Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009 - 16:02

I have a bunch, just to contemplate the colors GW lacks (some acid green and yellow, and a couple of earthy colours) I like em though they tend to dry in a different way, and taste rather bad compared to GW... :S hurray for eatable paints! The drying part is fixed by using a wet pallette.

Just give em a try, and you will find what you like better... it's hard to tell just from tales, everyone likes their own way of painting, which fits their own type of paints.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009 - 16:21

Ezekiel wrote:
and taste rather bad compared to GW...

LOL! That is a criterium for you Ez? Very Happy
I am not judging.

Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009 - 16:41

actually... Yeah, kinda...

As I tend to thin my paints down with my mouth mostly (the whole movement of reaching for the wet pallette is far too tiring!)
and besides, the GW says it's paint is eatable, so who would I be not to thouroughly test that!? Razz

than again... I use my mouth like a monkey uses it's tail... just a handy third arm.
(on second read, that sounds rather foul... but you get the idea)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009 - 17:37

AND the best way to reform the point on a brush is drawing it between one's lips.
Black paint, by the way, regardless of brand IS the absolutely worst tasting of ALL colors. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009 - 17:40

DeafNala wrote:
the best way to reform the point on a brush is drawing it between one's lips.

Agree.

Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009 - 18:07

But Play-Dough tastes worse than any paint I've tried. I've been contemplating getting paints from elsewhere too, but I've been told that Rackham's don't mix well. I think I'll look into Vallejo...,
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009 - 9:20

black tastes bad, but the true bad taste comes from metallics! yech!

I haven't really had trouble with the mixing of rackham, just the drying... as long as you keep it wet it will blend.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009 - 9:52

Ezekiel wrote:
black tastes bad, but the true bad taste comes from metallics! yech!

lol! AND metallic paints ARE toxic...for that added buzz. Suspect

@chad: Vallejo is an EXCELLENT choice; in addition to being high quality paints, their range of colors are set up in triads of shades AND they're somewhat less expensive than GW [who isn't? Suspect ].
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009 - 11:49

Hmmmm, I'll have to look into it, unfortunately I'm going to have to change over gradually - skinto.
Back to top Go down
REKONE
Hero
Hero
REKONE

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009 - 13:28

¿is the same paint Vallejo and Rackham? it's a common rumour in here... :S
Back to top Go down
http://ragmouthsblog.wordpress.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009 - 14:02

REKONE wrote:
¿is the same paint Vallejo and Rackham? it's a common rumour in here... :S

It's possible; mini makers don't actually manufacture stuff like paints, scenery, that sort of stuff; they licence a manufacturer to put it out for them under their logo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone used Rackham Color?   Has anyone used Rackham Color? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used Rackham Color?
Page 1 of 1