Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Shooting Yourself in the Foot

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Trick3003
Youngblood
Youngblood
Trick3003

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

Shooting Yourself in the Foot Empty
PostSubject: Shooting Yourself in the Foot   Shooting Yourself in the Foot Icon_minitimeWed 6 May 2009 - 14:27

Hello All,

I recently played my first game of Mordheim and found that i had put myself at a disadvantage. I'm not entirely sure if my opponant realised either. But you learn from your mistakes tongue

Number 1 - I didn't realize that you had a 360 degree LOS around you model. I was playing as if it was fantasy with an arc of sight. So there was my Black Skaven attempting to climb a building, facing a wall. A maruader comes round the corner and stops behind me. I curse myself for not being able to see and make the charge Mad .

Number 2 - I seemed to have it stuck in my head that you can only charge in a straight line, again this is from fantasy (sort of). This stopped me being able to charge around an existing combat to chin a Wulfen.

Any body else have similar experiences?
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Shooting Yourself in the Foot   Shooting Yourself in the Foot Icon_minitimeWed 6 May 2009 - 19:01

Errrrrrrr, I forgot to take al-alone tests a few times.
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Charge in a straight line   Shooting Yourself in the Foot Icon_minitimeWed 6 May 2009 - 20:23

I think the charge-in-a-straight-line rule is quite tricky. It's quite reasonable that you shouldn't be able to zig-zag in any manner to get to your opponent, still, I can find it quite illogical when you can't charge around a corner, seeing a person through a window (actually, it's usually to windows, one on each wall of the corner.
How do other people play this? Strictly a straight line, or is slightly bends allowed?
Also I think the, climb and charge rule is quite reasonable... this is a house rule which allows you to charge an opponent after a successful climb - slightly negating the great advantage of being on a higher floor.
Back to top Go down
Pentagathus
Warrior
Warrior
Pentagathus

PostSubject: Re: Shooting Yourself in the Foot   Shooting Yourself in the Foot Icon_minitimeWed 6 May 2009 - 21:28

Can't you do that anyway if your opponents withing your initiative in " and you pass an initiative test? Or is that only for charging around corners?
Back to top Go down
Svenn
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Svenn

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Shooting Yourself in the Foot   Shooting Yourself in the Foot Icon_minitimeWed 6 May 2009 - 21:43

Somehow, we've never used the all alone tests... We just always forget it for whatever reason.

How often is it that you actually have Line of Sight to someone without being able to charge in a straight line? I haven't encountered this that often, though I think we did make a decision once to let a rat climb through a window for a straight line charge or something.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tabletopgeeks.com
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Shooting Yourself in the Foot   Shooting Yourself in the Foot Icon_minitimeWed 6 May 2009 - 21:46

We count windows as openings for any reasonably-sized miniatures (so no, your ogre can not climb through the arrow-slit). We also allow charges in bends, so long as their's LOS, not that this rule's made much difference.
Back to top Go down
Trick3003
Youngblood
Youngblood
Trick3003

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Shooting Yourself in the Foot   Shooting Yourself in the Foot Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2009 - 12:35

Reading the rules for charging, you must charge the most direct route, which generally is a straight line. However it won't allways be if say the gap between 2 of you models infront is too narrow for your base to pass through. The charging model could see between the two friendly models but not fit. Then the most direct route for charging would be around the friendly models.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shooting Yourself in the Foot   Shooting Yourself in the Foot Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shooting Yourself in the Foot
Page 1 of 1