Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim

Go down 
+5
Ash
Ezekiel
DeafNala
Duce
cobaltearthgem
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cobaltearthgem
Hero
Hero
cobaltearthgem

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Empty
PostSubject: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 5:54

So after a number of games with the lads over the last few months I got sick of seeing either particle board or pink foam between all my halfway decent buildings. I decided to do something to address the issue. I had a roll of Textured wallpaper laying around from a failed project a number of years back.

First I played with a scrap to decide on a color scheme
Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim IMG_6060

Then I grabbed a couple of 2' x 4' sections of pink insulation foam I have been using on top of saw horses, kitchen tables, whatever to provide a proper 4x4 surface, glued down the wallpaper, then painted it black
Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim IMG_6058

Then a couple of nights spent painting each square grey, this is one night's progress
Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim IMG_6062

Finally tonight with the help of a buddy I got both sections painted, once they are dry tomorrow I plan to tape them back together in a "hinge" format so I have a quick and easy to store, quick and easy to set up table top to go under my buildings
Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim IMG_6065

Of course now I have the urge to improve my buildings...
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 10:12

a small suggestion might be to do the floor of the buildings the same as you did the board, so they look the same and a little more flush.

Also its easy enough to make up 10 buildings or more quickly and then just paint them as you progress or feel like it, then you'll have a finished board and extras can be added as you want.

i like the boards though, how long over all did it take to do the squares totally?

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 13:30

LOOKIN' GOOD! That's a nice quick way to make an attactive gaming surface. VERY useful post. WELL DONE! thumbsup

One of the problems with improving one aspect of a gaming table IS, invariably, it makes other parts look shabby by comparison. It's an unending cycle & thankfully so. Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 14:05

Perhaps a little tip would be to paint the sides of the pink foam as well, as those are breaking up the tiles now... makes the parts connect better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
cobaltearthgem
Hero
Hero
cobaltearthgem

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 14:25

Yeah, in the picture the "together" edges are the "outside edges" because we had just painted the "together" edges black and they are drying. I'm going to retape the pieces today and take more pictures. I plan to do ALL the vertical edges black, but Mordheim night is tonight, so it might have to wait until next week to be completely done.

Oh, and paint time: 3 hours for me the first night, 4 on the second and me and my buddy worked 2 hours each last night so I guess a total of 11 man hours... probably 13 hr all told, not bad for a table top...

I'm definately making one more of these and probably 2 more after that (After I sell some models to finance the materials)
Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009 - 22:07

Another tip, depending on how textured the wallpaper is this might be a great opportunity for a large drybrush. You could get a large 4"-6" brush and do a major drybrush with 2-3 colors. I bet it would look almost as good as painting the tiles individually and it should cut down your man hours to 1-2 as opposed to 11.
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 13:14

Looking good! Just an aesthetic word of advice (that's probably too late): if you offset the line in the tiles against the edge of the table it makes it look more random. Can't wait to see the finished piece!
Back to top Go down
squattingmouse
General
General
squattingmouse

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 16:20

Nice idea
Back to top Go down
http://squattingmouse.tabletopgeeks.com/
cobaltearthgem
Hero
Hero
cobaltearthgem

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 1:29

Well the first table is done (I'm going to do one more for sure). Here are a few pictures of it complete, with some terrain and minis during the maiden battle.

Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim IMG_6067

Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim IMG_6072

Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim IMG_6075
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeSat 16 May 2009 - 13:29

HOORAY! The promise of forthcoming Battle Reports! cheers
The table & the minis look GREAT! With the checker board feel of the paving stones do you have any problems with the apparent ease at quessing ranges & charge distances?
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeSat 16 May 2009 - 21:08

oooh, i like the target dummy in that last picture, very Mordheimy! Keep up the good work i look forward to more inspiration!!
Back to top Go down
cobaltearthgem
Hero
Hero
cobaltearthgem

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009 - 5:52

It's a figure that's out of scale with Mordheim figs, so I say it's an Ogre, in fact he's the "sign" for the Dwarf Tavern behind him; The Good Ogre Inn, cuz the only good ogre, is a dead ogre...
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009 - 12:28

nice work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim   Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basic "tabletop" for Mordheim
Page 1 of 1