Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP

Go down 
+6
StyrofoamKing
magokiron
Von Kurst
Identity
catferret
PitFighterTrainer
10 posters
AuthorMessage
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Empty
PostSubject: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 2:30

I am needing to convert an Orc Shaman, as I have not had any luck with finding a suitable model for trade. I did receive some bits and such, and put together a rough idea of an orc shaman. The pieces are glued, barely, and able to be removed and reapplied if necessary. Question is, what can I do to make this model more shamanistic WITHOUT GreenStuff?

Here is the model as it stands...
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00815
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00816
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00817
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00818

The cape does look a little too small, and I was thinking of switching that one out with a Chaos Marauders/Chaos Warriors cape, that is half a cape, and looks like stitched together pieces of hide.

Any ideas? Or does this model look 'shamanistic' enough?
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 2:43

I think that if you swapped out the cape for a bigger one (the small one looks too "tacked on" rather than looking part of the model) and added a wolf head or similar on top of the orc head that would really help. No GS required, just get a plastic wolf or Chaos hound and cut off the lower jaw. Obviously, GS would help fill any gaps but you may get away with it if you cut the parts precisely enough with your knife.

Aside from that, I would say the model is certainly very close to completion.

EDIT: A Chaos Warrior cloak may be a suitable size actually. It would take a fair bit of trimming to remove the parst of the torso that are attached, but I think it would work.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 3:10

If you have spare bits around, you could glue some pieces hanging from the spear lashing. You already have severed heads, so other ideas might be shamany bangles, bones, skulls, tusks, etc.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 3:26

I have a hard time getting past the pose. Its dynamic but it looks like he's going to fall over. A different cloak might help this. Otherwise I echo the call for gubbinz on the spear.
js
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 6:09

Ok, took the advice. Now here's the mod'ed mini. The body was repositioned, but with the legs and the torso the way they are, this
might be the 'straightest' standing pose I can manage. Carved out a wolves head, and added a full cloak. Looks a little better with the combo head-dress and cloak. The spear was then updated to include some spikes and a hanging ?scalp?. There is a scroll and a magic book on the body as well. Then, for the best part, I found a small goblin to use as the familiar/book carrier!

C&C?

Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00824
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00825
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00826
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00827
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00828
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00829

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 8:10

I'd say use the first cloak to make a sculpy mold and the make a greenstuff cloak that would form to the pose better.

Step 1: Buy a pack of Super Sculpy
Step 2: Press the detailed side of the cloak into a slab of the super sculpy an remove it gently. This is your mold.
Step 3: Bake the super sculpy.
Step 4: After the mold has cooled take a cloak sized piece of greenstuff, wet it, and press it into the mold. then quickly remove the GS. It is good to leave a bit of excess GS exposed from the mold for grip and easy removal, then just cut off the grip afterward.
Step 5: Attach the cloak to yur model and use wet utensils to pose it.

Let the GS harden and your set.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 8:35

IMHO the goblin familiar/book carrier is sooo cool as to be obscured by the severed heads.

BTW, Where is that model from?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeThu 19 Feb 2009 - 8:52

Wow, much improved in my opinion! The goblin familiar is fabulous; it is a bit of a shame he's somewhat obscured. I know you said no greenstuff, but if there's any way you can fill the gap between the cloak and the wolf head, it'd look a lot more realistic.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb 2009 - 5:21

Goblin my eye! that's a Snot familiar!

I think it was Kurgan who also added a few 'feral' touches to his orc pirates using Beastman bits. For example, braids of hair.

Oh, and a picky thing... your cloak seems to be flying back in the wind, while the heads a pointed straight down. Personally, I like to have all hanging items tilted in the same direction, or not tilted at all... Or, if you really want to, twist the feet on the shaman and actually have him moving forward, thus the cape is rippling as he walks.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb 2009 - 5:52

Snot, never heard of it. But I don't doubt you at all, as this is my first foray into Orcs and Goblins.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb 2009 - 6:28

Snot as in Snotling. I think the figure comes with the Night Goblin fanatics box.

Umm... the shaman is moving forward, or perhaps to the side. The severed heads being a bit more weighty than the cloak would account for their angle...

I like this incarnation much better than the first.
js
Back to top Go down
Unwanted
Warlord
Warlord
Unwanted

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb 2009 - 10:06

The wolf-head adds a lot to the Shamanistic quality you were looking for.

Kudos on that. As for greenstuffing the gap, go for it!

Greenstuffing to fill gaps is easy, making furry greenstuff is easy, hence filling a gap with furry greenstuff is double easy Wink
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb 2009 - 10:20

WOW! That's coming along nicely, AND quickly to boot. The Snotling Apprentice IS a VERY cool little touch. WELL DONE! Keep taking all the fine advice & posting you progress. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb 2009 - 15:10

That fellow is looking great - personally I think he's done. Very nice.
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeFri 20 Feb 2009 - 16:21

I tore off the cloak, and had no green stuff to work with, so I cheated. I got ANOTHER cloak, the ones with the chaos marauders set? It has a fur top near the shoulders, then a skull in the center, and the rest of the cloak is smoothed out. I cut away the furry section of the cloak, dug out the wolf head a little more to fit better, and to remove the excess near the back of the head that meets the cloak. THEN, I put the cloak in three pieces. Wolf Head, then the newly cutoff fur section, and last, the fur cloak. It looks somewhat better, but I had to keep removing it, and putting it in a viable position to look somewhat more natural.

I removed the left arm, with the heads, as it WAS detering the snotling from being viewed properly. I then replaced that arm with a hand holding a dagger ready to strike. This served the double purpose of hiding the section of the cloak/wolf head that was a gap.

Lastly, I then removed the dangling hair ornament from the spear, cut off the hair from the center ball piece, and put it back on in a manner that would match the cloak's placement of looking like it was blowing in the wind. It is not as pronounced as the cloak, in displacement of the wind, as the center ball piece would weight it down more, IMHO.

I will take some pics when I get back home, as I am in the office now, back to the grind. I like the new shaman look, and hope it can get painted sometime soon. I am still not up to par on paints, as I don't have much of anything left. Anyone want to trade mini's for paints???
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb 2009 - 20:40

Ok, redid the cloak, using Sculpey and checking to see how best to dry it out now. Check out the new Orc Shaman!

I can't get this File Uploader to work, so you will have to go to the YOCs site to view it.

ORC SHAMAN
Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Dsc00835
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeSun 22 Feb 2009 - 21:25

Now it's looking great! With the wolf legs hanging down, the cloak really looks part of the model now. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
CrazyOrc88
Champion
Champion
CrazyOrc88

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeSat 7 Mar 2009 - 2:58

To be perfectly honest here, the first pics you had up looked nothing at all like a shaman, except for the snotling on the base. However, your most recent pictures look excellent as a shaman, either as an orc or savage orc shaman. Either you got very good at conversion ideas and cutting very quickly, or you just weren't applying yourself in the beginning. With a good paintjob and some warpaint possibly this will look very very good.
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeSat 7 Mar 2009 - 5:22

Thanks! I have redone the model, removing the Sculpey, and replacing with Green Stuff. Unfortunately, this GS is not as workable as the Sculpey was, and it didn't come out as well as I had hoped. Apparently, GS needs to be done in stages. I added another layer, and this one allowed me to do the finer details that I like in a cloak. I also got a dremel tool, so that I was able to modify the feet, stance, and clean up some imperfections with glue. Also, the cloak is longer. More pics are on the LINK: Orc Shaman WIP Site

Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP OrcShaman7

Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP OrcShaman10

Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP OrcShaman13
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitimeSat 7 Mar 2009 - 8:13

WOW! That IS an incredible change for the better. The new Wolf Cloak is Fantastic; the forelegs dangling dow in front REALLY make it feral looking, Orc Chic. A VERY unique, in character piece, AND VERY WELL DONE! Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP 665330
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP   Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Orc Shaman - Need Help with WIP
Page 1 of 1