Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Newcomer Here

Go down 
+2
Tagnator
Alaristar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Alaristar
Youngblood
Youngblood
Alaristar

Trading Reputation : 0

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2020 - 4:48

Hi, I'm not new to tabletop gaming or Mordheim, but I am new here. My name is Devin Hanson, and I'm an author of science fiction and fantasy. I want to try and use my skills and experience to create a cooperative campaign within the setting of Mordheim. And learn how to get better at building terrain while I'm at it.
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2020 - 12:02

Hey there Alaristar, welcome to the forum Smile Good to see some new people arriving! I guess we're not with alot at this moment, but the ones that are, are pretty active Smile If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Back to top Go down
Alaristar
Youngblood
Youngblood
Alaristar

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2020 - 12:47

Thanks for the welcome!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2020 - 14:11

Hi, Alaristar! WELCOME ABOARD Fearless Leader Tom's Sleep Yet At Times Interesting & Inspiring Nonetheless Mordheim Forum. Have a LONG & MERRY stay! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeWed 13 May 2020 - 16:27

Welcome aboard! There's a fair bit of terrain activity around the forum which should suit your goal, & I'd be interested in hearing more about a co-operative campaign idea. Are you thinking of something effectively Dungeon-mastered, with a 'hostile' player shaping the story & controlling opponents, with Mordheim setting/mechanics?
Back to top Go down
robh
Knight
Knight
robh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeWed 13 May 2020 - 20:12

Alaristar wrote:
 I want to try and use my skills and experience to create a cooperative campaign within the setting of Mordheim.

That sounds interesting, the setting (and the source artwork) is the heart of what makes Mordheim so captivating.
I look forward to seeing your ideas.
Back to top Go down
Alaristar
Youngblood
Youngblood
Alaristar

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2020 - 1:15

The general concept I have is to provide scripted story encounters, with event triggers and narration. The content of the events are "secret", so it'd be like, "When all player units are within 6 inches of trigger, read Event #26."

The warband is composed of shared resources. Each mission specifies what the total will be, and the players share it to create a composite warband. So you might have three or four Sisters of Sigmar teamed up with a handful of Orcs. I'll have to do a lot of testing to find out if there's a break point with a number of players. Right now, I'm assuming 2 or 3 players... but it can also be run solo if you just want to experience the story and events.

As for who runs the enemies, it can either be run by a dedicated game master, who is the one to read the event narration and set up the board, or the players can take turns, or one of the players can be assigned to do all the enemy control and rolling. Various setups can be better suited depending on the makeup of the group. Like if you want to play it with your younger kids, you would probably be the one being the game master.

It's still in the early stages of development, so I'd love feedback on the concept.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeSat 16 May 2020 - 17:21

Sounds good. Triggers & narration revealing events is a good method that works well in things like 'Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower'. I've actually tried introducing elements like that once or twice in special scenarios, but never to challenge co-operating players.

Composite warbands sounds quite fun, & should actually allow for quite a few players if it's the total number of fighters that's limited -- potentially, you could have six or seven players each with a single fighter! Varying the set-up for co-operative play based on who's playing is also sensible, & allows a great deal of adaptability.

Have you read the 'Tilean Days' article in Town Cryer 28? If not, it describes a co-operative narrative event game which may be inspiring reading. There are also hints of a larger narrative campaign, clearly intended for future articles which sadly never came to pass.
Back to top Go down
Alaristar
Youngblood
Youngblood
Alaristar

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeWed 27 May 2020 - 1:45

I haven't been able to find that article, but it sounds cool.

I have a tentative sample to show around, just the first two encounters. The number of enemy units is totally experimental, and I'd appreciate feedback on it if you try it out.

Here's the link to the google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ELzFcIUp8Q-MRbBRbie17-VXJTZfgqHtbc3cyfqyTuM/edit?usp=sharing
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeWed 3 Jun 2020 - 19:05

Here's the link to the Town Crier with Tilean Days: http://broheim.net/downloads/towncryer/TownCryer28.pdf

Looking at your rules, it looks like you've got a damn good start! I especially like the simple list of event types & triggers, it seems very clear & simple, which makes for good play.

I think the Encounter write-ups could do with a little more clarity about starting points & such, but the maps are a nice touch & they look like good starting games! But the first encounter doesn't have any instructions on setting up the warband, which seems like a problem to me...

& I think the enemies listing could be simpler: maybe like in Tilean Days, have players pick out a set value of enemies from the regular lists, with a higher gc limit for higher rated adventurers, which means they can also customise from their own collections, then just have some of them spring out for the encounter. Overall though, it looks like you've made a really good start!
Back to top Go down
Alaristar
Youngblood
Youngblood
Alaristar

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeThu 4 Jun 2020 - 1:13

Thanks for that link! I looked for like an hour and could only find the front page. I'll read it over and see what ideas could fit into what I have in my head.

Yeah, the first encounter needs a start point. I'll definitely add that in. When you say it needs instructions on setting up the warband, are you talking about a "Put your units here" or something more along composition lines?

As for enemies, the primary antagonists for the plot are the skaven, but other enemy types could be added as the plot permits. The idea of using player-customized enemies is intriguing. I'll have to give that a think and see if it fits.

If this campaign turns out to be successful, I'll definitely be expanding the concept to other locations/stories/games where custom antagonists fit better. I chose Mordheim as the initial game because having small skirmishes is more interesting to me than big Warhammer/40K battles. But that doesn't mean similar rules couldn't be cooked up for a sci-fi game...
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth
Ancient
Ancient
Gatlag Stonetooth

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeMon 8 Jun 2020 - 21:08

Welcome aboard! Sounds like some great ideas!
Also thanks Rhydderch! Found some Town Cryers I was missing! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitimeSat 20 Jun 2020 - 15:45

All thanks due to ntdars, who put in the work of establishing & maintaining a centre of information for Mordheim, now the Mordheim Information Centre is gone.

Alaristar: Yes, I meant a 'deployment zone' type instruction, a "You Are Here" for players. As for the question of custom enemies, I was thinking in terms of players being able to use their models more easily; even if they have Skaven they might not have the right Skaven for your list, while if they were able to draw X-many gc of enemies from existing warband... Skaven, Zombies, & Cultists all become an option without going outside the Mordheim Rulebook!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newcomer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newcomer Here   Newcomer Here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newcomer Here
Page 1 of 1