Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

HEXHEIM

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
benjaminography
Knight
Knight
benjaminography

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

HEXHEIM Empty
PostSubject: HEXHEIM   HEXHEIM Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jul 2017 - 1:43

I posted these on the mordheim facebook group too - thought I'd start to share progress here too.

HEXHEIM Img_5517
HEXHEIM Img_5516
HEXHEIM Img_5518
HEXHEIM Img_5519
HEXHEIM Img_5515

've been really inspired by the various modular terrain pieces I've seen over the years, and I've always really wanted to create a hexagonal version. Over the last few weeks I've finally had a chance to start making it a reality.

This is just the prototype  - so no ruins, windows, doors or details (to see if the base mechanics work!)

All the building floors swap around - although they will be mostly ruined shells in the final version (they won't be dis-assembled in game). Each HEX will be pretty much the same in layout, although they can be combined to near infinite combinations. They can be propped up on larger base hexagons to encourage a more vertical game (you will notice the staircase at the rear leads up a level).
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

HEXHEIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEXHEIM   HEXHEIM Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jul 2017 - 11:59

That's some mighty impressive work! A lot of work, I'm guessing, but for a fantastic & versatile play area. Particularly as that looks like a large hex -- 12"? You won't need many of those to fill a table, so with a couple of spares & the variable combinations I suppose you'd need never use the same set up twice.

That looks like laser cut MDF -- do you cut/design it yourself?

Also, I have to ask, do you expect any problems using hexagonal tiles to make up a board? Just in terms of boards generally being square or rectangular, & rules being written on that basis. How do you make up a 4'x4' from hexagons? Or is this just a problem for a pedant like me?

Again, really cool work, & I can't wait to see even one fully detailed hex -- let alone a table full!
Back to top Go down
benjaminography
Knight
Knight
benjaminography

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

HEXHEIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEXHEIM   HEXHEIM Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jul 2017 - 12:12

Yeah all designed myself - it's about 40cm across. Took alot of inspiration from existing projects though. The main agenda was to develop convincing terraces and city blocks as oppose to disparate cottages and houses.

Our thinking is to adapt all scenarios we use to HEX based play - so having deployment hexes, objective hexes etc. The table will be either 7 or 10 hexes placed together depending on how big the game is (and how much space it takes), but with the density of scenery we're hoping it really reduces travel. The table itself won't be rectangular, unless we create additional bits to fill the gaps I guess.

HEXHEIM Screen10
HEXHEIM Screen11

Ultimately we can create a city wide map and tactfully place scenarios in the environment itself - so possibly have ambushes at tactful junctions etc.

It's all 3.5mm Plywood. Thinner MDF would be better (as it doesn't warp) - but I just happened to have alot of that PLY.

Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

HEXHEIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEXHEIM   HEXHEIM Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jul 2017 - 12:50

Crikey -- you don't do things by halves, do you?

Sounds like a good rules fix; I hadn't considered using a 2/3/2 set-up (because I'm so used to a 4'x4', I guess), which looks easier to tailor rules to than the 2/2 I was imagining. The design work's really impressive. Never mind taking inspiration, we all do that, but actually turning that inspiration into a city full of modular buildings is another matter.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

HEXHEIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEXHEIM   HEXHEIM Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jul 2017 - 18:39

Thanks for sharing here. I find it easier to look at photos on this forum, maybe its a focus thing...
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

HEXHEIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEXHEIM   HEXHEIM Icon_minitimeThu 20 Jul 2017 - 9:34

Oh boy, such a nice idea but SO much work... I'm looking forward how this project gets along!
Back to top Go down
SimpleAsWar
Champion
Champion
SimpleAsWar

HEXHEIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEXHEIM   HEXHEIM Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jul 2017 - 22:58

This concept of hex modules is very interesting and promising. I see the potential and I would love to see where it goes!
Especially, I love how this kind of set-up will break the conventional rectangular grid system most of the table follows with linear and perpendicular streets/roads. By itself, using hex you should end up with more winding streets and buildings.

Have a nice day,
Kibo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HEXHEIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HEXHEIM   HEXHEIM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HEXHEIM
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Scenery and Terrain-
Jump to: