Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchRegisterBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Tall's Architectural Nightmares

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tall's Architectural Nightmares   Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Jul 2018 - 19:10

I hear you, but those walkways are easy to make and solve a lot of planning problems when doing terrain by committee.

Excellent work thumbsup thumbsup
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Tall's Architectural Nightmares   Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Jul 2018 - 22:50

AND there is nothing quite as swashbuckling as dueling on some rickety walkway high above the unforgiving cobblestones. clown
Back to top Go down
Tha Tall One
Champion
Champion
Tha Tall One

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Tall's Architectural Nightmares   Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jul 2018 - 9:28

Thanks for the replies! As I've said, I understand the appeal. I am not denouncing the walkways, only presenting an alternative that I personally prefer. Mordheim is a far more interesting game with a vertical element and the walkways provide that for very little effort and cost. There are absolutely gorgeous tables that use them, and I would certainly prefer to play with them rather than without them. Smile
However, I think my wall provides similar benefits, and suffers from fewer of my minor gripes regarding walkways. For me, they are also far easier to build than most of my other buildings.

I've got no more pictures of finished works, so you'll have to excuse me one time for posting a work in progress:
Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 T0xEOssAyLvUsXelMWNa5x_QC4K4_ADy1DqFoXZRxXesJUYSkvntJ_z2lALqWY2Ksa27OnWxPZoPvfqSAgfugWTMmx_gxEqNuIKWn92OZhe-anN6JWI6xuNUV89uvr8f89N64_ngVaOAsFI_VvnWhpEp9Adp94XBHR_hpTmUeENmm6vUxzNVgwwf0FyRVdKcprFTmadv58FrhhFxjTtsj8ZrbUT3TVDf4xpKPXhiHzpotPrqRYqgm-e6pAfsm4KuOq6hEDKOpFH5GaOc5ScFSOxqrvk3-d3NbZAWp9eitc-UjWJkMgcBdxij1vycV1rYp8Mo4P_jZ3zu6TL_O8TUykw0W56e_FZqXDDeb_yeG1HwBbG_1pdgL1OHU9ZNY0RDEsJQzVHZnHxVLtUiJAVvEJAb-pxQVnurTz2VrfFdqp8Qk3f3rYrb7-EofVnTscFI6FmTyXsHHN3I6MKItiQr-pg1TK8mmmhJ1ONo0EpfHPgg6aGtpUlKoFDonLB2y0061KdDGb0hcERlFtjfMDYLbhsd6WC2JGUXTX6G2fx_9p_ENPdS7EIkK6bRb2TlD4m-LiD2F3MOvM7ETaafGYMhhYujx-fmO2i-dn1DGbM=w1507-h903-no
Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 8ql4iEZ1gXcnXtAu2nXEXIe5WPlR8HYGEQfP9VLONgSQOhKIOeGOEhey-mdxTjeWgir9h1kHsVGv5_XapasJnCy7sWRkEjLXe3xWWb2CLR3kWzKUSGwxFdrRxRUrKODWLfYfb_CU7Y_8Bz74mCbl0huj3qLWuqP2hKKPnA3gaCS4rAXCI4Ccf7jctRMzB6W_juZdqKbTiYVCqaTw0GExGN23g1kFcOna-XsxX8tGdI4xIPuwk1z-HpTQ0u1Y7G6ZPPPqg5zYD69Srm0unKHNmBijtY5dlWm1jSkcFZxvrrlzqAzz2oQ4kCtRh49sSh7VIQEnpfPavz8uKEadj0RGj-RIMebXAe-1mvmkx1bYWzFQlcUhrX_Ir3xrbmG9S0rriDmB1g6hA5dGXoN60tyspHrbXVRC1ph6kCz3u1B4a9-ybrez-RzccUVD_u6qN6B0AKpqrU4tv93tS9n1oPRPE6F3RVbjIPDpQ-tuMoO9spgBvxii_WT-mDOhc05MGSEBoNIVqcAR2UmiyPnIsovybUWLSrbKX3iyDJDEWt0ssNLipZw2YNqc21ymjVCpujKYPuKLt0DVRlr2wn7hTaFd21HSfXbq7LtGhdl-4zc=w1088-h903-no

It is a crane. The hoisting rope is still missing, but would normally be twisted around the axle, and slung over the end of the beam. People walking inside the wheel could then hoist of lower a load attached to the rope.
Due to the crossbars on the beams, it also functions as a laddder that can reach the top of the wall if positioned towards, or alongside it.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Tall's Architectural Nightmares   Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jul 2018 - 20:20

That's really cool! Very smart work on an object I immediately recognised from drawings of castles being built, which is a good sign for how close to reality you've landed.

Though for maximum Mordheimness, you might want a skeleton in the wheel...
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Tall's Architectural Nightmares   Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2018 - 1:13

Woot! Love the crane, so useful.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Tall's Architectural Nightmares   Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2018 - 14:24

The Crane is a SPLENDID model. The ropes you are using to hold the ladder in place might look better as your hoisting ropes..they would interfere with the ladder. It will look TERRIFIC when completed. thumbsup

Von Kurst wrote:
Woot!  Love the crane, so useful.

Off hand I can't think of any uses for it, but then again that might be just me.
Back to top Go down
Rhydderch
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Rhydderch

PostSubject: Re: Tall's Architectural Nightmares   Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 3 Aug 2018 - 11:38

The 'ladder' is the beam of the crane -- the hoist would run over the end, where the two timbers are joined by a rounded post. Such was the janky style of the medieval builder, but then I've never built anything that lasted eight centuries so I'm not going to criticise too much...

As for uses (as if such a detail were important!), that beam will make a sturdy ladder or bridge, & a rope hanging from it will make a perfect climbing rope for high-altitude antics. Well dammit, now I want one of my own...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tall's Architectural Nightmares   Tall's Architectural Nightmares - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tall's Architectural Nightmares
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: Gallery :: Scenery-
Jump to: