Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Tome of Magic and/or Money

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Athanatosz
General
General
Athanatosz

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned: none

Magic - Tome of Magic and/or Money  Empty
PostSubject: Tome of Magic and/or Money    Magic - Tome of Magic and/or Money  Icon_minitimeMon 27 Mar 2017 - 13:11

Hi all after my last game the warband acquired the tome of magic from the wizards mansion. My band has a magician who use the lesser magic table. My Question is that after he learn permanently a new spell from it (or upgrade on he already know) can I sell the tome. As the description says only one warrior gains benefits from it, and in my case the benefit is permanently, and as the tome description goes it is not one use only.
Back to top Go down
DicLombardi
Veteran
Veteran
DicLombardi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Tome of Magic and/or Money    Magic - Tome of Magic and/or Money  Icon_minitimeTue 28 Mar 2017 - 0:58

Hi, we play it that you have to keep the tome on the guy who used it. but i think either way you wouldnt be able to sell it afterwards.

But if you could, imagine the magical learning cycle you could pull off with a Merchant caravans warband.... but a tome, let your wizard hero learn a spell, sell it with the Wholesale skill for hopefully full or 1.5 times the price, get another one, rinse and repeat!

Throw a Priest of ranald in there to make the book worth even more money...
Back to top Go down
Nuno M
Champion
Champion
Nuno M

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Tome of Magic and/or Money    Magic - Tome of Magic and/or Money  Icon_minitimeTue 28 Mar 2017 - 3:20

Hmm, I've thought about this... I'm not sure there are actual rules for it, or a consensus.

I think it may have been intended to be a "consumable" type item. Learn it and poof, gain knowledge, item disappears (like good old Diablo spell-tomes) Razz
Making it circulate after you learn from it is too disruptive for a campaign, as everyone that can pick Academic skills in your warband now can turn into a spellcaster with Arcane Knowledge and that one single book, then you can even sell it afterwards (using all the shenanigans mentioned above).

How I like to play it is that the Hero must keep it on him/her, but if someone captures the Hero they may snatch the book from their possessions and use it. So it would be a sort of "binding clause", where the book gets stuck on its last user.
This is, of course, just a very narrative-oriented interpretation of the rules.
Back to top Go down
http://whfbnarratives.blogspot.co.uk/
Athanatosz
General
General
Athanatosz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Tome of Magic and/or Money    Magic - Tome of Magic and/or Money  Icon_minitimeTue 28 Mar 2017 - 9:39

I rolled for whole sale and I could sell it for its prize (200 gold). But to crack the case I want to prescind form the warband type. The rules say you only need to keep the book if you need the arcane lore skill to cast magic. If you a wizard you learn a spell permanently. If you want to sell it you could get 100 gc for almost all warband. In one case you learn a spell in the other you get the chance to learn.
Back to top Go down
DicLombardi
Veteran
Veteran
DicLombardi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Tome of Magic and/or Money    Magic - Tome of Magic and/or Money  Icon_minitimeWed 29 Mar 2017 - 0:50

I figured that was your plan! not many warbands have a Lesser Magic Wizard Hero. I think your logic makes sense, amautuers need to keep the book for reference, whilst wizards learn what they gotta know and ditch it. it doesnt say you cant sell it either.

personally in my group i would say no, for balancing reasons but if your group is down then go for it.

I've had a campaign as the Merchant caravans and theyre not the easiest and could use all the help they could get!
Back to top Go down
Athanatosz
General
General
Athanatosz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Tome of Magic and/or Money    Magic - Tome of Magic and/or Money  Icon_minitimeWed 29 Mar 2017 - 12:45

Balancing reasons... In Mordheim... I agree but deep in i fell Mordheim is really far from being a balanced game.
Let's say I neither sell it and neither give the tome to the apprentice to learn magic. The Mage keep it and increase one of his spells potense. Next game he got captured and sold to the pits. The enemy warband shaman can not use it as my mage permanently get an increase from it and only one warrior can benefit from the tome. He try to sell it but logically no one want an useless book. (or he can sells it for 100 gold.)

Lets says my mage buys the tome for 200+XY gold gain a new spell and after 2 games get robbed. Now he lost the book but will he keep the spell which he learnt nearly half-a-warband worth gold?

Arcane lore users can learn a few spell and then give the tome to another arcane lore user. The only need the book to learn not to cast.

I think, the only one warrior benefit restriction is there only to prevent a warband with more than one sorcerer to gain several new spell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tome of Magic and/or Money    Magic - Tome of Magic and/or Money  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tome of Magic and/or Money
Page 1 of 1