Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex

Go down 
+5
Von Kurst
DeafNala
Caledore
Grimscull
Jedfordski
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

Trading Reputation : 0

possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Empty
PostSubject: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 8:41

Hi guys,

I've made a start on my Cult Of The Possessed warband, Magistar, 2 Possessed and 2 Mutants.  I've used the Chaos Sorcerer Lord for the Magistar, 2 Chaos Spawn for the Possessed (larger than I thought they'd be, but can squeeze them onto a 40mm round base) and a Nurgle Lord and Gutrot Spume for my Mutants.  I'm not going to model them as WYSIWYG as I'd like to be flexible on what I can play with and I'll only be playing at home with my son.

possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex IMG_20150425_071907_zpstgevrj2b

possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex IMG_20150425_071704_zps3copwb8f

I've just started the Chaos Spawn and am really happy with the purple / pink paint job so far... just need to decide on the colour for the spines and horns Very Happy

Next up, I need to create some Brethren and Dark Souls.  I was initially looking at some alternative models for these on another thread that I created but have now decided on keeping to GW mods so that the warband looks more unified.  What models would be good to start with?  I was thinking of some Empire Flagellants as the body for the Brethren (with robes) and perhaps try my hand at making some hoods out of green stuff.  Bear in mind that I'll be looking at creating an Empire warband next, so I don't mind stocking up on some of those boxsets.  In fact, I've pencilled in a box of Empire State Troops & Empire Handgunners (for both Crossbow and handguns - probably leaning towards a shooty Reiksguard list).  Are there any other sets that would be good to plunder for modding?  Oh, and Skaven are on my list too, probably looking at a box of Clanrats as the core for this as I can get them a lot cheaper than Night Runners that I can only source through GW.  So hopefully my bits box will soon build up.

Cheers,

Jed
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 9:01

Your models are really looking good so far. Flagellants are certainly a great choice for converting Brethren and Dark Souls. I cannot find the thread, but someone else here used the Empire Archer Kit and some Green Stuff to built his henchmen, though I don't know how comfortable you feel around Green Stuff. If you want cowls for your Flagellants, these heads by Tabletop Art should work fine:
http://www.tabletop-art.de/Cultist-heads
If you want to try out some other manufacturers, Otherworld Miniatures has some nice cultists/Acolytes and their minis usually work fine with GW minis:
http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/product-category/men-of-evil/
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 9:09

Those cultist heads look excellent, but the P&P to the UK whack up the price :/   EDIT: actually, it looks like 6 Euros for a small package... I thought it was 15 plus 6

I've not done any real sculpting before but don't mind giving it a go.  I imagine some cowls / hoods shouldn't be too difficult to add to existing heads... he says Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grimscull
Etheral
Etheral
Grimscull

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 9:28

That's what they always think in the beginning What a Face abletopart has some other cool stuff as well, torches, chests etc. Maybe you can find a few more bitz to justify the P&P.
Back to top Go down
Caledore
Champion
Champion
Caledore

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 13:50

I've made my brethren in the same way - flagellant bodies with green stuff hoods and mantles. I am not very good with green stuff, and they turned out looking decent...they are pretty easy to do.

The Flagellant sprue also comes with a ton of great bits - scrolls and skulls work great for Possessed, and the Sigmar-oriented bits can add character to your Empire troops.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 14:28

That is a SPLENDID start to your Gang of Unpleasantness...the Big Pink Guy is especially cool in a creepy fashion. Have FUN with the painting, modeling, et al!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 16:13

Other forum members have used the flagellants both as is and with conversion, Empire Archers (the Empire Archers is THE box set to buy when doing nearly any human warband), zombies, 40K chaos cultists and Bretonnian Men at Arms.

An advanced search using the words Cult of Possessed and searching only this subforum will yield lots of examples.

Empire warband--The Archer box set is the best for poses and heads. The militia box set IS the Mordheim sprue from the old Mordheim box set (minus the bitz sprue). The Empire box with crossbows and handguns is nice, but since most players avoid handguns, etc like the plague, the militia box is better.
Skaven--the Nightrunner box set is old and clunky, but it is also the old Mordheim sprue unchanged so it would give you nearly everything you need in one box as opposed to the 'new' clanrats.
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 19:17

What's the Empire State Troops set like? I can get that for £11 from Wayland Games as opposed to the Militia / Free Company boxset which is GW exclusive at £20.

How are crossbows rated against bows in the game?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 20:37

I haven't purchased either of them in the last five years or so, but when they were released the Empire State troops came with 10 models that could make swordsmen, spearmen or halbadiers. (Or if you buy the missile troop box, 10 handgunners or 10 crossbowmen. If you want bows you have to buy the Archers.) The militia box, which again is the old Mordheim sprue with new name, comes with 20 militia armed with bows, crossbows, pistols, swords, great swords, axes, clubs and a blunderbuss and a halberd or two.

Depending on how you are going to arm your warband, you can buy two of the state troops boxes to get enough models and weapons to outfit a warband or you can buy one Militia box.  I assume that this is why GW has stopped letting independent retailers get a hold of the Militia box.

The caveat being that the Militia box does not contain any spears or handguns or a hochland long rifle, whereas the State Troopers have no great swords, clubs/maces, axes, bows or blunderbusses.  They may not have pistols either, but I'm not sure of that.  The missile state troops probably do have a few.

The same is true of the clanrat versus Nightrunner box.  With the new clanrats you get 10 single pose warriors the can have hand weapons or spears.  With the Nightrunners you get 20 multi-pose warriors that can be armed with fighting claws, flails, swords, clubs, slings, daggers, throwing stars and spears.

Crossbows versus bows.  Bows are cheaper and can be upgraded with skills and poisons.  Bows can move or fire.

Crossbows are more expensive, have a nice range, higher strength and can be upgraded with skills and poisons.  They may not move or fire without a skill and are more suited to a static strategy. On our battlefields crossbows rule.
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 20:58

Awww man, decisions decisions!!!

EDIT: Clanrats have 20 models not 10, the same as the Night Runners... so buying them from Wayland is more economical... although without the options that the Night Runners have...
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2015 - 21:17

Okay, just ordered Empire State Troopers, Flagellants, Skaven Clan Rats & Skaven Grey Seer for £46.65 from Wayland - 25% off plus an extra 5% off and free P&P over £40 with a code valid today only. That should give me plenty of options to start with. I'm going to order a box of Militia from GW when they're back in stock to add to the mix and pick up some State Crossbowmen from my local games store (Firestorm)... and maybe some Rat Ogres while I'm at it Wink
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2015 - 6:27

Quote :
EDIT: Clanrats have 20 models not 10, the same as the Night Runners... so buying them from Wayland is more economical... although without the options that the Night Runners have..

Embarassed Sorry about that, its been awhile since the LGS carried anything but Endtimes stuff for Warhammer Fantasy, or any skaven at all to tell the truth.
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2015 - 12:08

No worries, you were spot on about the Empire ones though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeFri 1 May 2015 - 19:27

Spawn coming along nicely...

possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex IMG_20150501_181651_zps3br1lxcf
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeFri 1 May 2015 - 19:34

Great job so far!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeFri 1 May 2015 - 20:18

It's a FUCHSIA FIEND...RUN! The vivid colors make it for moi. GREAT WORK!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeFri 1 May 2015 - 20:32

Lol, my son isn't impressed with it being "pink". I'm going to do the other one a pale grey blue to balance it out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSun 3 May 2015 - 20:15

Pinky complete, next up Perky... I mean Grey - Bluey...

possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex IMG_20150503_191010_zpspo3e1olu
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeSun 3 May 2015 - 21:44

LOOKIN GOOD...EVIL! Pinky is a WONDERFULLY vibrant creation. The plastics are much more impressive than the metal Possessed. GREAT WORK!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
floedebolle
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
floedebolle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeTue 5 May 2015 - 20:02

jap, more!

Bob Parkhurst: Take it!
[she undoes her shirt - exeunt]
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2015 - 15:49

Perky more or less complete, just need a bit more highlighting and tidying up, but good enough for now.  Excuse the crappy picture Smile

possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex IMG_20150507_143954_zpsriitcbbb
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2015 - 16:14

The gang so far.  Just waiting for my order of Empire State Troops & Flagellants to arrive, along with my Empire Handgunners / Crossbowmen that I picked up the other day so I can make a start on the Brethren and Dark Souls.  I need to get some green stuff and sculpting tools as well...

Oh, and I also ordered some Clanrats, Night Runners, an Assassin, Grey Seer, an Empire Captain with pistol and hammer... so Skaven and Reikland Mercenaries will be battling it out with the Possessed Very Happy

possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex IMG_20150507_150426_zpszttxub2n
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeThu 7 May 2015 - 16:30

I would imagine they would have a problem blending in with the crowd, but they are BEAUTIFULLY painted creations nonetheless. VERY WELL DONE!   thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Jedfordski
Knight
Knight
Jedfordski

PostSubject: Possessed list - looking for some tips   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeFri 8 May 2015 - 12:45

Hi guys,

I've painted up my Magistar, two Possessed and two Mutants and am now ready to build up some Brethren and Dark Souls. I've bought myself the following boxes:

Empire State Troops
Flagellants
Empire State Handgunners / Crossbow

I'm going to use the Flagellant bodies for the Dark Souls and normal Empire bodies for the Brethren, but need some ideas on which weapons to build them with. I'll probably build around 4 for each, more than I'll need to start out, but this could give me a bit of variety to start with. The unused models will go towards a shooty Reikland list and maybe a Witchhunter one as well. Bear in mind that I'll only be playing with my son, so they don't need to be armed with 100% cheese efficiency Very Happy

Cheers,

Jed
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitimeFri 8 May 2015 - 14:30

The Possessed don't have a very sexy choice of weapons, so you don't have much choice to begin with. You can get swords, daggers and spears from the State troops box. Maces, double handed weapons and flails from the flagellants. If you want some axes you could modify some halberd blades I suppose.

None of those boxes come with bows of any type, which are your only missile weapon.

My group tend to either own or follow the armament of the old Possessed models: spear, mace or ax. None of the original models came with a bow modeled on, so we get the 'this one has a bow, too,' more often than not. I prefer swords for a Hail Mary parry every now and then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex   possessed - Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cult Of Possessed starting models - need some advice for nex
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next