Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Terrain supplies in the US?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wanna993
Captain
Captain
wanna993

Trading Reputation : 0

Terrain supplies in the US? Empty
PostSubject: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeMon 6 Apr 2015 - 16:17

Hey,

I'd really love to build things while in the US after I built some things back home, but was kind of on the fence because of the investment in materials (as it feels like I'm buying everything twice, for the US and back home).
Does anyone have any good places I could go buy things? (like stores with decent prices)
There's a number of art stores and Home depots where I'm at (nyc) with probably some extra options in jersey city.
And what do you reckon I should buy? Insulation foam, some wood for roofing, thin cardboard, x-acto knife, a cutting mat, some extra things like filler to hide bad cuts.

What about paints? Do you buy cheap acrylic paint at art stores? I used to buy wall paint test tubes a lot but the paint had a tendency to be a bit thick.
Back to top Go down
Caledore
Champion
Champion
Caledore

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2015 - 18:51

I had the best luck with Hobby Lobby, as they had the best selection. Michael's has a decent selection too but I found more if what I needed at Hobby Lobby.

Home Depot isn't ideal, but you can find some stuff there. I got hardboard there to use for bases.

For supplies, I'd recommend foamcore / foamboard, balsa wood of varying sizes and thickness, an xacto knife, a self-healing cutting board, a good ruler, and thin cardboard for the roofing (i just use cereal boxes). I'm probably forgetting something; I had to make multiple trips myself.

I haven't gotten to painting so no suggestions there, I'd also like to hear suggestions. I have also not decided what to use for texture on walls, but there are multiple possibilities (sand, textured paint, plaster).
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2015 - 21:03

While Hobby Lobby is a more complete craft store than Michael's, they aren't a NY outfit; SO Michael's would be a good second choice for paints, foam board, etc. Folk Art & Americana are excellent paints...at least they are the ones I use along wit Ceramcoat, which Michael's no longer carries.

For scenery including sheets of foam try Scenic Express:

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/default.asp

Probably the best on-line Miniature/Gaming Store is The war Store (they have a real store out in Riverhead also):

http://www.thewarstore.com/

AND, if you're in the city, drop in on The Compleat Strategist; I think they are on 33rd St.   clown

You'll get a better reaction in the Scenery & Terrain Section. SO I'll move you there.   clown
Back to top Go down
wanna993
Captain
Captain
wanna993

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2015 - 23:01

Heh looks like I keep picking the wrong sections :-)

I'm currently staying in manhattan. So I'll definitely look up The Complete Strategist.

I quickly glanced at hobby lobby and I'll just start comparing prices since I'll have to get the stuff delivered if bought there.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Apr 2015 - 0:01

No problem about the move.   What a Face
It dawned on me that there was Polk's Hobbies, but, when I checked, they had gone under in Oct 2013. C'est la vie, eh?    Sad
Back to top Go down
wanna993
Captain
Captain
wanna993

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Apr 2015 - 18:19

I'm just curious, everyone mentionned Michael's, but no one mentionned Dick Blick. They have a bunch of cutting supplies+ foamboard too. Are they way mroe expensive compared to Michaels/Hobby Lobby?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeSun 12 Apr 2015 - 18:53

Until now, I had never heard of Dick Blick...cool name though.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
wanna993
Captain
Captain
wanna993

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2015 - 0:25

Their name is so raunchy. I laugh every time i hear it.
http://www.dickblick.com/stores/ is you're interested they have decent prices (slightly cheaper than michael's looks like).

I just went through michael's website and didn't find much of use. Is it me or their categories aren't that intuitive?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2015 - 0:37

I checked out their brushes. They had a good selection at somewhat high prices, but nothing seemed to be in stock. The do carry some of the inks I use. 
Price wise I always found Michael's to be competitive AND they have sales going all the time. Here's another online craft store that was recommended to moi:

http://www.joann.com/

I get a lot of accessory stuff from the jewelry section as well as just paints & such. It's much easier browsing through a store than searching online.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2015 - 0:50

Interesting. Dick Blick didn't last in Indianapolis. I had thought that the local art store chain put them out of business, but perhaps it was just a plethora of competition. Micheals, Hobby Lobby, United Arts and Supply plus the local art store (whose name escapes me). Is Dick Blick based in New York?
Back to top Go down
wanna993
Captain
Captain
wanna993

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2015 - 1:04

They have a ton of stores in NYC, but I'm not 100% they're based here. From what i understand there used to be a store called Utrecht and another company called dick blick and they merged or something.

I just got myself a cutting mat, some paint, some knives, some wood, some wire mesh and will go to Home depot tomorrow. Then I'll slowly start ordering the remaining 200+ $ of supplies in my online cart What a Face
I have to say, I always forget about the damn taxes that aren't included in the price tag. Confuses me everytime
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2015 - 1:23

When you go to Home Depot, check out the Fan Foam. It's 2'X4'X1/4" (sometimes 3/16") sheets that are joined along the long side. This stuff is what I use for my buildings in place of the foam boards...it's much cheaper & sturdier.   What a Face
Back to top Go down
wanna993
Captain
Captain
wanna993

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeMon 13 Apr 2015 - 1:53

I didn't find any Fan foam on their website.
What I plan on buying is:
Owens Corning FOAMULAR 250 Squared Edge R4 Insulation Board 3/4 in. x 2 ft. x 8 ft. -->pink foam
Owens Corning FOAMULAR 250 1 in. x 2 ft. x 8 ft. R-5 Tongue and Groove Insulation Sheathing-->pink foam
Super TUFF-R 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3.3 Foam Insulation --> Blue foam

1 of each as I have to carry them on the subway and have to be able to lift them with my hands
Back to top Go down
LordStarlight
Youngblood
Youngblood
LordStarlight

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Jun 2015 - 5:34

I know this is a bit of threadomancy, but if the OP or anyone else needs advice on where to buy supplies in the US I just want to add this: Check your local dollar store. They're usually a great source for various things that are useful in crafting terrain such as foam boards (aka. foamcore), tools, toys and many other things - and cheap, too! I go to the local dollar stores every now and then and just wander around with no particular item in mind, just looking at things to see if inspiration will strike for what I could use them for in terrain building. I always walk out of there with something Smile

For similar reasons, if you have thrift stores nearby go check them out with much the same idea in mind.

Other than that, or if you have very specific needs, all of the stores mentioned above are good - particularly when you use one of the 40% off coupons both Hobby Lobby and Michaels have available every week (though Michaels are a sometimes a bit more stingy with giving out theirs), that can take an otherwise expensive item down to reasonable pricing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terrain supplies in the US?   Terrain supplies in the US? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Terrain supplies in the US?
Page 1 of 1